EQS EQS (V297) sedan

New EV "tax" in Texas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2023, 03:01 PM

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
S580
Originally Posted by hlothery
I heated my house for many hours with our gas fireplace. Wish I had had the Generac then. There are no unfalable solutions.
I find this thread fascinating with all of the plans for when/if the power goes out.

Where I live there are hardly any outages. I keep several 18650 battery flashlights and extra batteries charged. Even on the coldest days blankets will work for a few days and I have internet on my phone. I could even keep warm or cooled in my car for many hours.

It looks like a lot of us think about this, and a lot of you have some great plans for your situations. We DO count on electricity so I think there is pressure for the electric companies to restore power ASAP. Anyway, I enjoy and am learning from the posts here.
Old 08-06-2023, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
When I was a child in Houston, Texas we went 3 weeks without electricity after Hurricane Carla and a few years ago lost power for 10 days after Hurricane Harvey. At the time I ran my father’s Dialysis Machine here at home every day and had full power from our generator the whole time. We have outages about 4-5 times a year though we live on the edge of a 8 million population metroplex.
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
MB37 (08-10-2023), Old Rocker (08-06-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:10 AM

Received 367 Likes on 227 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
Originally Posted by Old Rocker
I find this thread fascinating with all of the plans for when/if the power goes out.

Where I live there are hardly any outages. I keep several 18650 battery flashlights and extra batteries charged. Even on the coldest days blankets will work for a few days and I have internet on my phone. I could even keep warm or cooled in my car for many hours.

It looks like a lot of us think about this, and a lot of you have some great plans for your situations. We DO count on electricity so I think there is pressure for the electric companies to restore power ASAP. Anyway, I enjoy and am learning from the posts here.
Yes, it is an interesting topic. We are hardly preppers, but have done a few basic things to not be completely helpless in an extended emergency. What concerns me is grid failure due to physical malfeasance or hacking. Especially the hacking. The US grid is underprepared for both of those potential issues. Regarding solar and snow--I thought of this, and if you are in the snowbelt and have solar, you can easily solve this with a $50 snow rake and a ladder. The roof is pitched, and it takes little effort to push the snow off with the help of gravity.
The following 2 users liked this post by nath_h:
AppleFan1 (08-07-2023), MBNUT1 (08-07-2023)
Old 08-08-2023, 06:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 725 Likes on 541 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Yeah I lived thru Katrina aftermath.
No power for 2 weeks Sucks when it is 95 and humid out and your food is in an ice chest and nothing is ever cold so you go to your vehicle and turn it on to charge your phone and cool off andpray you can find a working gas station without a 3 hour line.

then the wild thunderstorms/ and wind events can knock down trees into powerlines and kills power..
Crews are not allowed out to repair until wind dies down to some magic number which is usually well after storm passes
SO again ya hope it comes on soon enough before your food packed in freezer thaws and/or fridge stuff... gets expensive refilling them..

So that is why I got my generaator is to keep things cold - ME with the AC and food with fridge and freezer.

also since I have had it installed no power losses which is fine by me as the generator is just an insurance policy that also adds bit of value to the property.
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (08-08-2023)