Recuperation vs Range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,088 Likes on 718 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by LastOne
@gxprice Yes "creep" must be turned off for OPD. I have not tested but the emergency braking system should prevent crashing into the vehicle ahead. Maybe it just reduces the impact.

DISTRONIC functions are totally independent of regen mode, as in it does not matter what regen is set to when DISTRONIC is in use.

There are reports that Strong regen with highway driving could result in a 30% drop in range but I think is way off, and is more likely just the typical loss of range with highway driving vs city driving.
Yes and no. When the car is in auto it uses the distronic sytstem to select which regen its going to use. In the city it is also used to follow the vehicle ahead of you. In effect its using the braking portion of distronic but withou using the speed maintaining one. Reharding losing 30% with strong regen, I strongly doubt it. If using distronic the car will maintain tho most energy efficient mode regarless of what regen is set to. The peculiarity of the highway is that you get shorter range than in the city, most particularly if you drive at 70mph plus, something true of all EV's. If you're driving at 80 forget about ever getting 300 miles of range. On my 4000 mile road trip which at times was cold or with winds of 50mph and speed limits were 80 I was lucky to get 280 miles of range.
Old 05-20-2024, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 EQA AMG Version
@gxprice Yes "creep" must be turned off for OPD. I have not tested but the emergency braking system should prevent crashing into the vehicle ahead. Maybe it just reduces the impact.
When I had Strong + Creep, it got way too close to the car in front for me to even consider hoping it would do it's thing!
Old 05-20-2024, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 EQA AMG Version
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Yes and no. When the car is in auto it uses the distronic sytstem to select which regen its going to use. In the city it is also used to follow the vehicle ahead of you. In effect its using the braking portion of distronic but withou using the speed maintaining one. Reharding losing 30% with strong regen, I strongly doubt it. If using distronic the car will maintain tho most energy efficient mode regarless of what regen is set to. The peculiarity of the highway is that you get shorter range than in the city, most particularly if you drive at 70mph plus, something true of all EV's. If you're driving at 80 forget about ever getting 300 miles of range. On my 4000 mile road trip which at times was cold or with winds of 50mph and speed limits were 80 I was lucky to get 280 miles of range.
Interesting... I was hoping for a little more range than that since it's supposed to be a little more efficient at highway speeds (a cd of 0.20). Well, there should be no winds and it's pretty much summer here already so I'll see. I understand the car will lower itself over 75mph? I'm hoping that will also help if I'm cruising between 75 and 80...
Old 05-20-2024, 04:58 PM

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Yes and no. When the car is in auto it uses the distronic sytstem to select which regen its going to use. In the city it is also used to follow the vehicle ahead of you. In effect its using the braking portion of distronic but withou using the speed maintaining one.
Huh? What is "auto"? Regen modes are No, Normal, Strong, and Intelligent. If DISTRONIC is on then regen does not apply... unless you are suggesting that it impacts when physical braking vs regen is applied.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Huh? What is "auto"? Regen modes are No, Normal, Strong, and Intelligent. If DISTRONIC is on then regen does not apply... unless you are suggesting that it impacts when physical braking vs regen is applied.
In auto mode the car uses the radar to decide how much regen to use in a particular situation. The radar is a distronic component.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:00 PM

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
In auto mode the car uses the radar to decide how much regen to use in a particular situation. The radar is a distronic component.
Both of you are talking the same thing.
Mercedes displays "Intelligent Recuperation", and also "D Auto" when this mode is in use.
Old 05-20-2024, 07:08 PM

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
EQE350 SUV 4MATIC
Originally Posted by nosnoop
Mercedes displays "Intelligent Recuperation", and also "D Auto" when this mode is in use.
A reasonable explanation. The other posting about Auto selecting which regen to use was confusing.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:37 AM

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts
23'EQS AMG
In strong regen, you do have to hold the accelerator pedal down further than in normal or no regen mode. No sure how this affects charge/power and efficiency. However, it does eliminate coasting which is more efficient than charge/power status.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 207 Posts
2022 EQS580
Yes and no. When the car is in auto it uses the distronic sytstem to select which regen its going to use. In the city it is also used to follow the vehicle ahead of you. In effect it’s using the braking portion of distronic but withou using the speed maintaining one. Reharding losing 30% with strong regen, I strongly doubt it. If using distronic the car will maintain tho most energy efficient mode regarless of what regen is set to. The peculiarity of the highway is that you get shorter range than in the city, most particularly if you drive at 70mph plus, something true of all EV's. If you're driving at 80 forget about ever getting 300 miles of range. On my 4000 mile road trip which at times was cold or with winds of 50mph and speed limits were 80 I was lucky to get 280 miles of range.
I don’t like to use the auto regen in the city any more. It doesn’t brake smoothly. It’s too harsh. That’s why I’ve come to like the one pedal driving in city driving.
Old 05-21-2024, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by nosnoop
The behaivior of the pedal is entirely "fake". Its just an electric "rheostat". The increase in force in high regen is simply a tactile feedback.
I agree. I don't know if its a perception thing (cant see the front of the car) but how close it comes to a stop makes me uncomfortable.

Last edited by c4004matic; 05-21-2024 at 12:08 PM.