Cold weather range tips.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Cold weather range tips.

Having driven the EQS going on two years now and ihaving driven it extensively in the some of the coldest temperatures in the hemisphere, here they are:
For safety..... MB sells a winter wheel and tire set of 19 in rims with Bridgestone Blizzak LM 005. Its worth every penny and more. Not exactly beautiful but not bad looking.
​​​​​For range, even in the coldest (-20F absolute, not windchill) at night and snowing the car can provide a nominal 270 mile range! Its all about the number 65. Keep the speed at 65 and the temp at 65 with the AC on eco (eco+ will lead to window fogging). Setting the drivetrain on ECO doesnt hurt but on the highway at steady speeds its not much of a factor. It does however help you stay at 65 since in order to go faster you have to floor the accelerator. At temperatures in the teens, using the same parameters you can get a nominal 300 or so. If you chill easily and 65 is is too cold for you you can use the seat heater to take the chill off (not continously). Just think of the movie Apollo 13 its all about how you manage those amps

Last edited by c4004matic; 11-07-2023 at 03:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by c4004matic:
AppleFan1 (11-07-2023), e55phil (11-09-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 07:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac ELR. EQS450+
Thank you for the information.
Would you be referring to a rwd EQS?
Old 11-08-2023, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Great tips and all, but not exactly ideal. In my $100,000+ Mercedes, I don't want to be making any sacrifices to comfort just to get decent range in the cold. I look forward to seeing how 2024+ models perform in winter as they will have heat pumps, front motor disconnect, new battery chemistry with more kWh.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Trekguy77
Thank you for the information.
Would you be referring to a rwd EQS?
My expirience is with an AWD 580 but applies to any EQ platform model. Another thing in particular to the EQS is that it charges well deep in to the pack, 50kw into the 93% or so. If there are no other vehicles waiting, those extra 5 min to get from 80 to 93 are well spent if you are on a road trip with few DC chargers available. That extra 10% (35 miles or so) is a great range anxiety reliever for those that live in areas with little DC infrastructure. The fact is that the EQS has a 120kw battery pack, even at 90% SOC there is a 20% battery buffer to protect the battery pack. In fact, the bulk charging of the EQS is second to none, it can average more than 150kw, as good or better than cars with an 800V architecture despite having a slower peak rate. Now that the cars are consistently plug and charging (at EA's at least) charging foibles are becoming an afterthought. A final thought, finally, Tesla magic dock superchargers are starting to pop up around the country increasing DC fast charging options even more. Those are not so great news for 800V cars since they can only charge at half of their max charge rate with a 400V charger, but the EQ's can use them at full speed (up to 200kw). One last thought... though rated for a max speed of 200kw/hr, I regularly see peak charging rates of 206. All in all MB did a great job as far as the battery pack and charging are concerned.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
Great tips and all, but not exactly ideal. In my $100,000+ Mercedes, I don't want to be making any sacrifices to comfort just to get decent range in the cold. I look forward to seeing how 2024+ models perform in winter as they will have heat pumps, front motor disconnect, new battery chemistry with more kWh.
Then you plug more. Not an option if you live in areas with few DC fast chargers. Of course, there is still an S class if its too much of a hassle, and pumping 1000 tons of CO2 don't matter to you! Since I drive the EQS, hearing the gas engine of my daughter's and soon my wife's CRV hybrids seems crude, dumb and wasteful.
Old 11-08-2023, 10:19 AM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Then you plug more. Not an option if you live in areas with few DC fast chargers. Of course, there is still an S class if its too much of a hassle, and pumping 1000 tons of CO2 don't matter to you! Since I drive the EQS, hearing the gas engine of my daughter's and soon my wife's CRV hybrids seems crude, dumb and wasteful.
I would have to agree to some degree with your last statement. Loud engine, and the engine itself, is inefficient compared to electric motors and direct drive. I have night vision in my other car, and you can see glows under every ICE, but EV such as Tesla have no glow. I know that heat is wasted energy.

However, due to the limits of the current battery chemistry and weight, more efficient ICE is still a welcomed sight especially in cold weather.
MBNUT1 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche, Cadillac
Originally Posted by c4004matic
We got rid of our ICE S-Class for an EQS SUV, so no, won’t be doing that. We have had 12 EVs and currently have 4 EVs in the household, so no, an ICE car is not an option. We moved on from those a long time ago
MBNUT1 (11-08-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by QuadBenz
We got rid of our ICE S-Class for an EQS SUV, so no, won’t be doing that. We have had 12 EVs and currently have 4 EVs in the household, so no, an ICE car is not an option. We moved on from those a long time ago
Then enjoy that aside from the Lucid Air unicorn, the EQS provides the longest proven range of any EV on the market regardless of weather conditions. No additional whistles required or needed. That doesnt belie the fact that as any other EV (but to a lesser extent) real cold weather (below 0 F) will adversly affect range significantly and its good to know how to optimize it
Even ICE cars are adversly affected by weather extremes up to 20%
However, almost invariably, you can find a gas station anywhere.
Another thing that I find amusing is people complaining about how short the range of EV trucks is when towing. Well the ecoboost F150 provided a whopping, 7 mpg when towing our 24 ft Boston whaler! Almost a 70% hit on fuel economy! Even with an enormous tank I was hitting virtually every gas station on the highway Of course, fueling it was not a problem and took 15 minutes including a a pee and snack stop instead of 30 or 40 (if there is a charger in range).