Using Tesla's charging network

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 01:26 PM
enj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MB S450 2018 4Matic; MB EQS SUV 450
Using Tesla's charging network

Just wondering if MB will provide any adapter for the use of Tesla super charger.
Old 01-02-2024, 05:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
EQS 580 SUV
Another important question is, when can we expect access to the Tesla network? MB mentioned it would be available in 2024 six months ago, but there has been no update since. I anticipate the initial step would involve the release of an approved adapter by MB or Tesla. Because MB probably wants the payment to be through the Mercedes me connect.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
if you can find a supercharger stations with magic dock it will charge any EV with J1772.
The following 2 users liked this post by 23-EQS580-SUV:
HAILERS2 (01-05-2024), SaffsDad (02-07-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:35 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
EQS 450 4 matic sedan, Mercedes 550S
Adapter is needed for us current owners

The future belongs to Tesla charging standard aka NACS as all major automakers agreed to it. It will be a mixed bag in the beginning for non Tesla cars as old standard will be supported for a while by charging stations but ultimately it will be all NACS. This makes it absolutely necessary for us the current EQS owners to have an adapter for DC fast charging. (Not talking about AC charging where adapters are widely available).
So the question is who makes them and where to get them. There were PRs that Mercedes will offer them to EQS owners starting in 2024 but I do not see any recent confirmation. Am I missing something ?
Old 01-02-2024, 09:39 PM

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
EQS
Ford is going to have access in February and they are the first ones. I imagine others will follow quickly, hopefully by summer.

I assume Mercedes will sell an adapter but there are already 3rd party ones coming out too. Adapter is a simple one in this case.

Personally I don't really care about plug and charge that much, so if they can give us access quicker without it I would prefer it.
The following 2 users liked this post by sarhoshamiral:
c4004matic (02-09-2024), LAZARU5 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 11:10 PM

I do agree that the adapter doesn't need to be Mercedes branded. As far as there are two standards on each side there is nothing left to be customized hardware wise. With this said Tesla will have access to the car via the software protocol and a discretion to whom to provide service and at what cost. I don't think that if I have the adapter in my hand now than I will be able to charge at Tesla. Alternatively Tesla may decide to look at cars like a) Teslas and b) non Teslas and provide service to all without any particular introduction order. Now an interesting issue is who will hold customer's charging account. I bet that each manufacturer will insist keeping their customers, but Tesla at least may try to get them if for nothing else but as prospective future Tesla buyers.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:26 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by ivanvach
With this said Tesla will have access to the car via the software protocol and a discretion to whom to provide service and at what cost. I don't think that if I have the adapter in my hand now than I will be able to charge at Tesla. Alternatively Tesla may decide to look at cars like a) Teslas and b) non Teslas and provide service to all without any particular introduction order. Now an interesting issue is who will hold customer's charging account. I bet that each manufacturer will insist keeping their customers, but Tesla at least may try to get them if for nothing else but as prospective future Tesla buyers.
You won't be able to because the CCS protocol transmits an identifier for the car and Tesla chargers can choose which identifiers to allow. Their magic dock chargers allows all cars already for example, I bet that it can be used with the new Lectron adapter as well instead of the built-in one since the limit comes from the software protocol.

The charging and software infrastructure is the bigger issue. Based on Ford, it looks like Tesla is going to charge through Ford's infrastructure via plug and charge and that requires work on both Ford/Tesla side. Similar will happen for Mercedes and that's the part I really don't want to wait for but I understand how sub-par experience it could create for most people since without integration you would have to find chargers via Tesla app, authorize and pay via Tesla app just like magic dock chargers today. Instead we will have to wait for the integration likely but that will also mean we will see Tesla v3, v4 stations on our car navigation, do plug and charge etc.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 297 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
I took my ICE vehicle to the superfueler but it failed to authenticate when I put the nozzle in. So I used the app to activate the nozzle but it informed me that I wasn't using an approved nozzle adapter. JUST KIDDING, i just gave the guy at the counter a $20 bill and pumped my gas. The amount of time it takes is almost irrelevant. I refuse to do any of that nonsense. For now my EV only gets charged at home. Let me know when the authoritarians who come up with this natzee sheet stop messing up the whole world and I might buy a second EV. I don't need authentication and I don't need approval to warm the globe in my brand new 13 MPG 5.0L V8 Jaguar.
The following users liked this post:
tooold2race (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 07:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac ELR. EQS450+
You do make some valid points!
Old 01-03-2024, 02:48 PM

@Crito All valid points from ours/consumers standpoint. Corporations are in the opposite camp as they are driven by the corporate greed. They want to own you and your wallet .
Old 01-03-2024, 07:30 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by Crito
I took my ICE vehicle to the superfueler but it failed to authenticate when I put the nozzle in. So I used the app to activate the nozzle but it informed me that I wasn't using an approved nozzle adapter. JUST KIDDING, i just gave the guy at the counter a $20 bill and pumped my gas. The amount of time it takes is almost irrelevant. I refuse to do any of that nonsense. For now my EV only gets charged at home. Let me know when the authoritarians who come up with this natzee sheet stop messing up the whole world and I might buy a second EV. I don't need authentication and I don't need approval to warm the globe in my brand new 13 MPG 5.0L V8 Jaguar.
On the other hand when plug & charge is working properly, I just plug my car and it charges without any other interaction. My guess is we are actually going to see more and more gas stations that uses their own app/reward cards/QR code with not so negligible discounts since data is valuable and that way they also get to save on some credit card processing fees. There are more and more gas stations around me that don't accept cash anymore btw.
Old 01-03-2024, 09:48 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
My daughter just purchased a Tesla and got the following Tesla to J1772 (MB type) simple plug converter. Can be purchased for <$50.

Old 01-04-2024, 06:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sarhoshamiral
On the other hand when plug & charge is working properly, I just plug my car and it charges without any other interaction. My guess is we are actually going to see more and more gas stations that uses their own app/reward cards/QR code with not so negligible discounts since data is valuable and that way they also get to save on some credit card processing fees. There are more and more gas stations around me that don't accept cash anymore btw.
I'm not aware of any gas stations that don't accept cash. And I wouldn't do business at any that didn't. But some like 7-Eleven do have their own EV chargers. You still need a credit card to use it but no app is required anyways. That's a step in the right de-natzee-fication direction.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,799 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by Crito
I'm not aware of any gas stations that don't accept cash. And I wouldn't do business at any that didn't. But some like 7-Eleven do have their own EV chargers. You still need a credit card to use it but no app is required anyways. That's a step in the right de-natzee-fication direction.
Why on earth would you want to pay for gas (or anything) in cash?! I don't even carry cash anymore lol
Old 01-04-2024, 05:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
200E320,2006CLS500,20102015 S550 4 matic,Panamera,1991 porsche 964
Originally Posted by SW20S
Why on earth would you want to pay for gas (or anything) in cash?! I don't even carry cash anymore lol
Sorry to disagree.Being a Immigrant i was always told to carry SOME CASH.Nobody knows if your CCards work or are stolen or machines wont cause them to Jam.Even Now not everyone takes CC in USA!!!
Old 01-04-2024, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,799 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by jayagopal50
Sorry to disagree.Being a Immigrant i was always told to carry SOME CASH.Nobody knows if your CCards work or are stolen or machines wont cause them to Jam.Even Now not everyone takes CC in USA!!!
Somehow I operate in my daily life and hardly ever need cash. I carry a little bit, $20-40 maybe but thats it. 99% of places you spend money take CCs. If one of my CCs doesn't work, I have others and I have a check card.

Even carrying cash, my CC companies pay me to use them and they hold me harmless from any fraud or theft and protect my purchases, why would I want to pay cash?
hlothery (01-05-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 09:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EQE SUV - 350 4Matic
Originally Posted by ivanvach
I do agree that the adapter doesn't need to be Mercedes branded.
There was a podcast I listened to this summer (Batteries Included if I remember correctly) that talked about the new updated terms and conditions that many of the charging companies have published that state that you are required to use an adapter provided and certified by the vehicle manufacturer. The speculation was that this eliminates any issues/arguments if the adapter causes damage to either the vehicle or the charging station. I don't know how they will know which adapter you were using, but again, this is likely to protect themselves from lawsuits from someone who bought a cheap adapter on eBay for $15.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:00 AM

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Presently 19 S560 SEDAN, 2014 XK, SOLD GLE 450e
Originally Posted by perlfather
My daughter just purchased a Tesla and got the following Tesla to J1772 (MB type) simple plug converter. Can be purchased for <$50.
Not usable at a Tesla Supercharger station (DC to DC). That one is only for Level 2 charging at home (AC converted to DC by a level 2 charger) or Tesla Destination Chargers at places like Holiday Inn etc,
Old 01-05-2024, 09:26 PM

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
Not usable at a Tesla Supercharger station (DC to DC). That one is only for Level 2 charging at home (AC converted to DC by a level 2 charger) or Tesla Destination Chargers at places like Holiday Inn etc,
Thank you. I did not know that and should have realized looking at it.
Old 02-06-2024, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes EQE SUV 500
As an EV owner for ~8 years (BMW, Tesla, and now MB), I am really disappointed with the lack of communication and software updates from MB. It's like they're not even working on anything! There are also obvious deficiencies with the software (like not remembering our regen preference or drive mode). But how about an update on the Tesla integration, MB? I know other brands (e.g., Rivian) are coming out w the adapters for their customers soon.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:07 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
[QUOTE=JGregsCA;8920035]As an EV owner for ~8 years (BMW, Tesla, and now MB), I am really disappointed with the lack of communication and software updates from MB. It's like they're not even working on anything! There are also obvious deficiencies with the software (like not remembering our regen preference or drive mode). But how about an update on the Tesla integration, MB? I know other brands (e.g., Rivian) are coming out w the adapters for their customers soon.[/QUOTE
You are correct. I just got back my 23 eqs580 sedan for a recall to update what I was told close to 30 service modules. I didn’t get a list of what was actually updated but I was told it was for multiple different issues. Had to take in to shop, no OTA updates. I’ve had my car 13 months and have received one very insignificant OTA update. I have owned 2 previous S class sedans and never received one OTA update for either of the cars.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
'19 AMG E53 Cpe, '23 EQS 580 SUV, '88 560SL, '35 Ford 5w coupe, '53 MGTD and others
Originally Posted by JGregsCA
As an EV owner for ~8 years (BMW, Tesla, and now MB), I am really disappointed with the lack of communication and software updates from MB. It's like they're not even working on anything! There are also obvious deficiencies with the software (like not remembering our regen preference or drive mode). But how about an update on the Tesla integration, MB? I know other brands (e.g., Rivian) are coming out w the adapters for their customers soon.
Coming from an Audi e-tron I have no complaints about Merc software or responsiveness. Five successive dealer visits and several communications with Audi USA and they never fixed a keyless entry problem. That and an app that worked half the time.
Old 02-06-2024, 09:38 PM

EQS
Originally Posted by JGregsCA
I gave up on expecting updates from Mercedes. I have ~2.5 years left on my lease and I assume there won't be any significant at this point since focus will be put on newer models. I am going to monitor how Volvo handles EX90 updates, if they add features etc, there is a good chance my next lease will be a Volvo because neither Audi, BMW or Mercedes has learned how to do software it looks like.
Old 02-06-2024, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

There are a couple 2024 model EVs I'm interested in like Omega edition Hummer but it just seems kind of stoopid when 2025s with NACS connectors will be coming out soon. And used EV prices have come way down so 2024 EVs are going to be a tough sell IMHO. Pity nobody could make the transition to NACS happen any faster. Oh well, my EQE 500 SUV will do just fine for one more year.
Old 02-11-2024, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

State of Charge guy says it'll happen in just a few weeks"! And from what the Lectron CEO said sounds like the adapter itself is pretty dumb and basically just passes everything straight through with no authentication/handshake of it's own. So I may not have to wait for all the overpaid executives at MB to complete their series of mind numbing meetings.

AppleFan1 (02-11-2024)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using Tesla's charging network