EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Carplay needs WiFI?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB E350W4
Angry Carplay needs WiFI?

I have been trying to figure out the best way to get my carplay working. I used the bluetooth, it allows sound to come from the system on my EQS 580, however, it makes me connect to the car WiFi to make it work for Carplay, so when I do that, it does not allow me to download data like playing podcast or Spotify unless they are downloaded on the device, it is asking me to subscribe to ATT for data plan at 15 dollars a month for 1GB data or 240 dollars a year for unlimited data. Is anyone having the problem I am having?
The following users liked this post:
the key to (04-15-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 11:52 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
EQS580
No problems for me with BT only. It does however disconnects around certain train stations.
Old 03-03-2024, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,568 Posts
2019 C63CS
Wireless CarPlay does use Wi-Fi yes, because Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth, however the Wi-Fi connection is separate from the hotspot Wi-Fi connection. You don't need to connect to the hotspot for CarPlay to work. CarPlay handles the Wi-Fi connection itself. It sets it up during the initial Bluetooth handshake and you can continue to use cellular for your data, so you don't have to pay for the hotspot. I never had issues with this in any car including the EQS. After you pair your phone via Bluetooth it should ask you if you wanna use CarPlay and then you just say yes. That's all that's needed and don't connect to the car's hotspot. Having said that, MBUX 2 is super buggy in my experience. In every loaner I've driven in the last 2 years, CarPlay starts crashing after a fairly short time. Connecting it via USB is a bit more stable, but still crashes. I've had issues in Audis and VWs as well, but in my own car and in BMWs I have driven it works flawlessly.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-03-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-04-2024, 05:18 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by superswiss
Wireless CarPlay does use Wi-Fi yes, because Bluetooth doesn't have enough bandwidth, however the Wi-Fi connection is separate from the hotspot Wi-Fi connection. You don't need to connect to the hotspot for CarPlay to work. CarPlay handles the Wi-Fi connection itself. It sets it up during the initial Bluetooth handshake and you can continue to use cellular for your data, so you don't have to pay for the hotspot. I never had issues with this in any car including the EQS. After you pair your phone via Bluetooth it should ask you if you wanna use CarPlay and then you just say yes. That's all that's needed and don't connect to the car's hotspot. Having said that, MBUX 2 is super buggy in my experience. In every loaner I've driven in the last 2 years, CarPlay starts crashing after a fairly short time. Connecting it via USB is a bit more stable, but still crashes. I've had issues in Audis and VWs as well, but in my own car and in BMWs I have driven it works flawlessly.
Yea, the really disappointing thing (from MBUX perspective) is that in my Son's Ford F150, it is completely flawless. Come on, MB!
Old 03-05-2024, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Odd if carplay plays up, Android auto works fine in my car (I have not tried carplay).
Old 04-15-2024, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS580
Have the same problem, however it does connect to my wife phone to carplay without WIFI while sitting next time!

This wifi is a problem, as you say, we can't listen to some apps as it is blocking the wifi.