Tested the EQS AMG today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by SW20S
I think C&D has pretty good experience with EVs.

The i7 feels remarkably small to drive for its size, but the feeling of size is one thing I personally like in a big car like this. I want it to look and feel big.
Per that measurement system the Taycan would rank well below the EQS.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 04-07-2024 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2024, 12:30 PM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
If speed is your jam and tracking or track like moves are lower on the list, the Plaid is the pick.

My F02 rear seat is much more spacious than the EQS. But with Pinnacle trim, and rear executive seating with recline, massage, heat/vent, wireless charging, tablet to control, gesture control, and etc., it's actually better than most optioned S-Class if not just as good. Spacious is where the EQS falls start in the back.

And if you're used to getting in and out of a G-wagon or SUV, the head bump getting in and out could be a detractor for you. Despite the being an AMG and the 4matic+ suspension tune, it's relatively well balanced and planted.

The AMG EQS is comparable to the S-Class S63/S65 back in the day, but better in interior sound quietness, driving performance, similar in ride quality, but not up to par with spaciousness in the rear. But I'm OK with that since I have a backseat queen and not the Queen of England.
The following users liked this post:
MBNUT1 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,025 Likes on 743 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by MB37
I have 23'. When you driving spirited in strong regen, you really have to get used to it because the brakes will feel harder. Additionally, the throttle is different between no regen vs. strong regen. For example, the software provides more throttle power in normal and no regen mode compared to strong regen mode despite the accelerator pedal being in the same position. As for the brake pedal, unless you drive with two feet, the software applies and moves the pedal in strong regen.

I see how car reviewers don't like AMG programming. I, too, was somewhat in the same boat. However, I drive with two feet, so the transition was quick. But the programming to the accelerator pedal takes a bit more time. Drive in no regen solves all the problem.

In spirited driving, I put it in no regen sport+. Triple digit freeway navigation is a breeze and every car around you feels stationary. Double the recommended speed on curves is a piece of cake (disclaimer: most not all). When in no regen, there no surprise except not noticing how quick the damn thing can get to triple digit and beyond. On sharper curves, and high speed left turns, some people may perceive it as oversteering because they are not used to the rear wheel steering nanny. I've had it on my 7er for 10 years, so not that much different on the EQS.

I'd take car reviews with a grain of salt. It really depends on how much experience they have with EV. EQS AMG can't compare to the Taycan 4S/GTS or beyond in the driving dynamics. Forget about the Plaid. That thing is wicked. I have no experience with Lucid. As for the i7 m70, I was going to get that one, but the deal on the AMG EQS was too good to pass up at the time. I'm glad I didn't get the i7 because quite honestly, BMW went major barge size on the i7. I just needed to change up this time around.
Also to your point the Taycan can't compare with an EQS on passenger space. It's an different market segment.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,799 Posts
2024 S580
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
Per that measurement system the Taycan would rank well below the EQS.
For me it would, yes.
MBNUT1 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 03:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts
'21 E63S4S in glorious Brilliant Blue Magno
EQS AMG vs Tycan Sport Turismo

I tested the Tycan GTS and EQS AMG back to back. The Tycan handles and brakes better but it’s uncomfortable and extremely difficult to get in and out of. The tech is clumsy in places.

The AMG gives up some performance but the interior is light years better. The tech is way better the seats are way more comfy and the back seat is usable for normal people. Price wise they’re both in the same realm of insane.

I think the Tycan looks better but only in the wagon format. The regular sedan version looks weird in the rear.

I have not driven the i7, but I did drive a Lucid Air and Tesla. The Lucid is nice but buggy as hell and noisy. The interior feels unfinished. Teslas are junk.
MBNUT1 (04-07-2024)
Old 04-07-2024, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 719 Likes on 533 Posts
GLE 580
I probably would, and they sell much better than the EQS. Just sayin'...
Yes they hold their value better that's for sure and the range is better but the interior and features are just too austere for me.
Old 04-07-2024, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by wildta
Yes they hold their value better that's for sure and the range is better but the interior and features are just too austere for me.
I completely agree, its not my thing
Old 04-08-2024, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
I probably would, and they sell much better than the EQS. Just sayin'...
please help me… I am ignorant… please inform me of the numerous luxury features in a Model S… Because I cant seem to name more than one…
create a list of those numerous luxury features and let’s compare that list to MB, BMW, etc.
You can’t even get a leather steering wheel… you can’t even get a steering wheel that won’t start flaking and peeling after 6 months of use
Tesla does not make any Luxury vehicles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tjdehya:
GrayA (04-08-2024), hlothery (04-09-2024), stealth.pilot (04-09-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Tjdehya
please help me… I am ignorant… please inform me of the numerous luxury features in a Model S… Because I cant seem to name more than one…
create a list of those numerous luxury features and let’s compare that list to MB, BMW, etc.
You can’t even get a leather steering wheel… you can’t even get a steering wheel that won’t start flaking and peeling after 6 months of use
Tesla does not make any Luxury vehicles.
No question the EQS has way more luxury features...thats not Tesla's thing. Can't get leather at all in a Tesla. Tesla's are absolutely luxury vehicles they just have a different concept of what a luxury vehicle is.

I personally hate the styling of the MB EQ models, so if I were forced to choose between an EQS and a Model S, I would get the model S. With all the options available to me I wouldn't choose either.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by MB37
I have to agree that what's on paper doesn't tell the whole story when the tire actually meets the road. 1/2 second on paper is actually about 2 car lengths. Add real world reaction time, and gearing. There are only a few ICE with a tranny on the road that compares to an EV AMG either from a standstill or definitely not from a roll. It usually game over by the time the ICE driver downshifts if he or she isn't in the right gear. I've driven 600+ HP ICE such as the F488 GTB and a few others. The instant acceleration from 60 mph to 100 mph in EQS AMG comes in a flash and is jarring for the unexpected passengers. The G force from a roll (60mph) is similar if not faster than a 5 seconds 0-60 ICE. Doing all this in near silence is surreal, too. However, in cornering, the weight of the EV, despite technological nannies, is no sports car, but just one of the best sports sedan to date. It's definitely a sleeper and a vehicle with selectable modes from Dr.Jekyll to Mr. Hyde, or somewhere in between. It's my John Wick suit.

Car and Driver said, "If your car shopping checklist includes checkmarks in the boxes for "spacious," "fast," "expensive," "exclusive," and "electric," the AMG EQS would like a moment of your time."
they should’ve also added ….that it will be worth 50% less than what you paid in one and a half years later….lol
used AMG eqs are a bargain.
In my opinion, the best of the new luxury EV is lucid air GT. Luxury/ crazy fast/great driving dynamics/ 480 mile range and has similar depreciation as the AmG EQS. The sweet spot in the high-end luxury EV market is buying a year or so used. 🏆

Last edited by Fly by night; 04-21-2024 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,120 Likes on 732 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by Fly by night
they should’ve also added ….that it will be worth 50% less than what you paid in one and a half years later….lol
used AMG eqs are a bargain.
In my opinion, the best of the new luxury EV is lucid air GT. Luxury/ crazy fast/great driving dynamics/ 480 mile range and has similar depreciation as the AmG EQS. The sweet spot in the high-end luxury EV market is buying a year or so used. 🏆
Why do people keep parroting about Lucid? A company that is heading straight to the trash bin? Might as well be discussing a De Lorean. The car is ugly, half baked, and will probably disappear in a year or 2. Everyone complains about the depreciation on the EQS...you know what in a couple of years a Lucid will be worth exactly zero.
on the other hand, Rivian gets panned constantly (as a company) despite the fact that you see the cars everywhere!

Last edited by c4004matic; 04-21-2024 at 12:28 PM.
AppleFan1 (04-21-2024)
Old 04-21-2024, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Why do people keep parroting about Lucid? A company that is heading straight to the trash bin? Might as well be discussing a De Lorean. The car is ugly, half baked, and will probably disappear in a year or 2. Everyone complains about the depreciation on the EQS...you know what in a couple of years a Lucid will be worth exactly zero.
on the other hand, Rivian gets panned constantly (as a company) despite the fact that you see the cars everywhere!

perhaps go drive one and report the results.

…….I’ll leave it at this. I’ owned the EQS AMG for a year and had a Plaid 2 years. The lucid air is superior in every driving dynamic(- the plaid ancceleration)has great interior/ huge rear seat room/ great performance / 480 mile range/ and it’s funny somebody driving an EQS calling a lucid ugly lol beauty is in the eye of beholder. I seen some absolutely stunning Lucids on the road and just to add they have just built out an entire new part of their facility expansion. Lucid aren’t going anywhere for the foreseeable future they have deep pockets and a new SUV arriving.
Tesla software still top all. i’m not sure what area of the country you’re in but on the West Coast I see more and more lucid on the road. Also hope Rivian stays in the game as well. They make a great vehicle with constant OTA updates.

Last edited by Fly by night; 04-21-2024 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:27 PM

Received 158 Likes on 101 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Could you tell me the great things about the Tesla software? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2024, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 S580
Originally Posted by Fly by night
I actually wasn't impressed with the Lucid Air. I love how they look, inside and out but I found the drive lacking in refinement compared to something like an EQS or a i7. I would choose one over a Tesla Model S