EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Tirefit with tires that have foam linings?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 05:53 AM

Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts
No Mercedes yet
Tirefit with tires that have foam linings?

Yesterday I had my first flat tire (a puncture) on my EQS (580 SUV). My car doesn't have a spare tire, but came with an electric (12V) pump with a Tirefit canister. Unfortunately this wasn't able to repair my puncture, so I had to have my car transported to a tire repair shop. When the workers at the tire repair shop removed the tire (a Pirelli 275/45 R21, FWIW), they discovered that there's a lining of foam inside the tire - presumably to reduce noise. The foam had absorbed the Tirefit sealant (and they had to cut away a small portion of the foam to repair (patch) my tire.

My question: Given that the foam lining absorbed the Tirefit sealant, would much (any?) of it had made its way to the puncture? In other words, is Tirefit useless on tires that have foam linings? Am I SOL if I ever get a puncture with these tires?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:26 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
2023 EQS 580 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by finlayson
Yesterday I had my first flat tire (a puncture) on my EQS (580 SUV). My car doesn't have a spare tire, but came with an electric (12V) pump with a Tirefit canister. Unfortunately this wasn't able to repair my puncture, so I had to have my car transported to a tire repair shop. When the workers at the tire repair shop removed the tire (a Pirelli 275/45 R21, FWIW), they discovered that there's a lining of foam inside the tire - presumably to reduce noise. The foam had absorbed the Tirefit sealant (and they had to cut away a small portion of the foam to repair (patch) my tire.

My question: Given that the foam lining absorbed the Tirefit sealant, would much (any?) of it had made its way to the puncture? In other words, is Tirefit useless on tires that have foam linings? Am I SOL if I ever get a puncture with these tires?
I was wondering about it myself. Maybe it works more effective if you rotate the tire, so the puncture is at the bottom.
Old 04-08-2024, 11:27 AM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by finlayson

Interesting question. I, too, recently had my first puncture on this car, but I was able to inflate the tire and drive to the dealer. Interestingly, they could not get another matching tire until June, but could match the tread, and specs with an identical tire, except that it had the foam liner. So that's what i did. Sorry to hear the sealant doesn't work with these tires. However, as someone who had no spare in his last several cars, and who has ridden all over the country on a motorcycle without a spare, I wouldn't worry too much. I carry a Dynaplug patcher (Harbor Frieght), a can of goop and a pump. It would be rare for those not to enable you to rescue yourself, but it does happen. That's what tow trucks are for, I guess.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2023 EQS 450+
In the same boat. Just got a flat and the tire is sold out with no ETA. My choices are either 4 new tires or to downsize to 19s and get new tires