EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Mercedes Charging Network

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 12:52 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
Mercedes Charging Network

Has anyone heard or seen any updates on Mercedes’ charging network? I heard one opened outside of Atlanta a few months ago but haven’t heard a peep since then. Has anyone seen any others ??
Old 04-17-2024, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 Mercedes EQS 450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Radman991
Has anyone heard or seen any updates on Mercedes’ charging network? I heard one opened outside of Atlanta a few months ago but haven’t heard a peep since then. Has anyone seen any others ??
There are now several MB chargers at Bucc-ee’s, mostly in the south. Not sure about standalone MB stations.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Genesis GV60
They say "Our journey begins in North America, with plans to set up over 2,500 high-powered chargers in 400 hubs by 2027.", but no map yet.

https://www.mbusa.com/en/ev-charging-stations
Old 04-17-2024, 03:12 PM

Received 467 Likes on 293 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Recently installed Mercedes charging station with 6 chargers at Buccees in Temple, Tx, adjacent I 35, almost exactly half way between San Antonio and DFW.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
icwhatudidthere (04-17-2024), Radman991 (04-18-2024)
Old 04-18-2024, 03:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
EQS 580
I recently drove from SoFla to Texas and back and on the way there I was routed to a Buccees in Alabama which had 6 Mercedes chargers. It was the best charging that I’ve had in the year that I’ve had my EQS. I saw 206kW but it may have been a bit faster after I left the car, not sure. Whatever it was, it was quick and worked flawlessly. Despite all of the EA problems that I’ve had in my EQS and prior to that in my Lucid, I only had a problem once at Biloxi but it was a charging station fault and I had it there both directions. However, at EA, I was charged for everything over 30 minutes, which I needed a few times. Mercedes seemed to be no cost for as long as needed. I was also the only car at the Mercedes chargers on both directions of the trip.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic
Is it free to charge an EQS? With Tesla firing their supercharger team, it looks like Mercedes was smart to start building these out.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2024 Mercedes EQS 450 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Neilk356
Is it free to charge an EQS? With Tesla firing their supercharger team, it looks like Mercedes was smart to start building these out.

I don’t believe it is free.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:59 PM

2022 EQS 450+
Have been lurking on the Tesla forums. They had a comment by a laid-off member of the Austin charging team, who said he was working 18 hour days trying to keep up with the demand for updates/maintenance on the charging system, and had taken a lot of pride in the system being what he thought was the best in the nation. He is not sure what will happen now, but expects degradation of the experience for the Tesla owners and others who plan to use the system. But, amazingly, most of the forum members were drinking the Musk coolaide, no matter what it seems like is happening, figuring he must have a plan in mind......other than raping the company for his own profit, of course. Go figure?
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
AppleFan1 (05-05-2024), Neilk356 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 04:29 PM

Received 88 Likes on 47 Posts
23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by MiamiCanes
I recently drove from SoFla to Texas and back and on the way there I was routed to a Buccees in Alabama which had 6 Mercedes chargers. It was the best charging that I’ve had in the year that I’ve had my EQS. I saw 206kW but it may have been a bit faster after I left the car, not sure. Whatever it was, it was quick and worked flawlessly. Despite all of the EA problems that I’ve had in my EQS and prior to that in my Lucid, I only had a problem once at Biloxi but it was a charging station fault and I had it there both directions. However, at EA, I was charged for everything over 30 minutes, which I needed a few times. Mercedes seemed to be no cost for as long as needed. I was also the only car at the Mercedes chargers on both directions of the trip.
On my recent trip from KY to FL, I was directed to an MB charger. I believe it was at Buc-ee's in Athens, but I am not positive. It was my understanding that only EA stations would allow for free charging, so I opted not to stop there..
Old 05-08-2024, 12:04 AM

Received 160 Likes on 102 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Are you'll paying around 33-51 cents per kwh at these chargers?
Old 05-08-2024, 12:56 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Excluding the charging problems, all of my Electrify America (EA) charging sessions were free of cost. During my 1400-mile round trip, I had to pay only once at an EV Connect location. This was because there were no convenient EA stations available. I have attached the receipt for the EV Connect session.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 849 Likes on 543 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by Radman991
I used one. Here is my post describing it.

https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/87859...rging-hub.html
Old 05-11-2024, 11:19 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by Davemayo70
There are now several MB chargers at Bucc-ee’s, mostly in the south. Not sure about standalone MB stations.
I plan to stop at Buc-ee’s during my upcoming trip and use one of their new Mercedes Charging Network stations. I'll report back on my experience. For reference, I live in Kentucky.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:16 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Originally Posted by J_Boxer
I plan to stop at Buc-ee's and use one of their new Mercedes Charging Network stations during an upcoming trip. I'll report back on the experience. For reference, I live in Kentucky.
UPDATE:

So another driver, not myself, stopped on my behalf and took some pictures. I was pretty surprised to discover that the charging session was indeed free. I wasn't confident it would be and have no clue how long this free charging will last. It's part of the ChargePoint network, of which I have an account, but as far as I'm concerned, I would be charged at any other non-Mercedes ChargePoint location. Accompanied are images of the area along with the final receipts.

Point of note: The EQS was already at 88%, hence the lower kW speed. The charging cords were significantly heavier than any they've used before—so much so that it took two hands to maneuver them. Plug and Charge worked flawlessly. I have personally yet to achieve a total of 200 kW, so I'll be curious on the trip back when the car is below 80% if the max speed is reached. We shall see.

Buc-ee's is arguably the new ninth wonder of the world! "Buc-ee's Beaver Nuggets, here I come!"

** The bright sun made capturing a clear image of the charging station screen from any angle impossible. The screen could have been cleaned, but since I didn't take the pictures myself, I wouldn't nitpick with the person doing me a solid! **

The following 2 users liked this post by J_Boxer:
finlayson (05-12-2024), ScottC2 (05-12-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 12:38 AM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
*** From my post yesterday ***

Point of note: The EQS was already at 88%, hence the lower 59.9 kW speed. The charging cords were significantly heavier than any they've used before—so much so that it took two hands to maneuver them. Plug and Charge worked flawlessly. I have personally yet to achieve a total of 200 kW, so I'll be curious on the trip back when the car is below 80% if the max speed is reached. We shall see.

*** Today ***
In my previous post, I shared my experience visiting the new Mercedes Charging Network station at Buc-ee's, which offers high-power charging up to 400 kW. During a quick test charge yesterday, lasting 4-5 minutes, the charging speed was steady at around 60 kW, as the EQS already had an 88% charge. I expected the charging speed to increase significantly on the return trip today, as the battery would be much lower. As predicted, today's charging session with the battery at a 64% charge saw a nearly doubled speed, starting at 115 kW and peaking at 120 kW. However, the charging speed tapered off significantly as the battery approached an 80% charge, finally ending at around 90%. I typically charge my car up to 80% at home for my regular use. However, for longer trips and these two test charging examples, I went up to nearly 90%. It's worth noting that quick charging up to and ending near 80% yields more benefits when time is limited, as charging beyond 80% causes the speed to drop significantly, thereby taking considerably longer to reach a complete 100%.

Charging using Plug and Charge was again seamless, and the session was free, just as it was yesterday. Still, it was a pleasant surprise.

Here are the detailed results of today's charging session:

Old 05-15-2024, 03:56 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
"Discover new Mercedes-Benz Charging Hubs" Email Blast

I just received this email blast. Notice that it states, "Unlimited free charging offer for new Mercedes-Benz owner:[sic] Starting with model year 2024, all-electric and plug-in-hybrid Mercedes-Benz vehicles come with 2-years of unlimited free charging at our charging hubs."

I can attest that, at least for now, free charging appears to be available for other model years, but I can only confirm my own experience at the Richmond, KY location. I used their charging station twice, and both sessions were free. I have attached images of the receipts for both sessions earlier in this thread. If the free charging continues for other model years, that will be a plus for some. While clear for 2024 models, the wording is absent and ambiguous for earlier EV model years. It could also be viewed cynically as: "If you are lucky enough to charge for free now, good for you. We can cut you off at any time since it wasn't advertised as free for earlier years." Bottom line, enjoy it while you have it!

I also attempted to locate the reservation system for MCN but could not find it. I contacted Mercedes me app support, and they stated the area to go to in the app for reservations. (image below) However, there was no indication that this MCN location accepted them. Honestly, the embedded, less-than-logical section of the app I was directed to didn't seem correct for this. I'm not sure if the agent was confident about the section of the app or how to do so; either that or the reservation system isn't universal yet at all locations. Similar to how only 2024 models receive free charging, yet I could charge my 2023 EQS without cost, at least for now.

Last edited by J_Boxer; 05-15-2024 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2024, 05:41 PM

23 EQS 450 4matic sedan
Update to Free Charging at MCN

I recently contacted MB support and was informed that as of the date of my previous post, https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/88883...ml#post8971203, free charging for 2022 and 2023 model year EVs at MCN stations will no longer be available. Going forward, only 2024 and newer model-year EVs will receive 2 years of complimentary charging support at MCN stations. The agent didn't appear confident and spoke uncertainly, initially needing to check with a supervisor for updates. However, near the end of our conversation, information was randomly "located" to confirm this change. Although there was no previous collateral or communication that I could find indicating free charging sessions or indication of free charging for any MB EVs at the new MCN stations, it's now officially communicated that 2024 MB EVs will receive complimentary 2-year charging sessions, similar to EA's 2-year promotional period. Thus, the implication is that earlier model years that were never explicitly communicated to have free charging, even though I and another poster did receive free charging sessions, will no longer have free charging sessions. I plan to test this change by visiting Richmond, KY Buc-ees, and will report back. The new MCN stations are limited in number and proximity, but it's a step in the right direction.
Old 05-20-2024, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 249 Likes on 158 Posts
2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by J_Boxer
I recently contacted MB support and was informed that as of the date of my previous post, https://mbworld.org/forums/eqs/88883...ml#post8971203, free charging for 2022 and 2023 model year EVs at MCN stations will no longer be available. Going forward, only 2024 and newer model-year EVs will receive 2 years of complimentary charging support at MCN stations. The agent didn't appear confident and spoke uncertainly, initially needing to check with a supervisor for updates. However, near the end of our conversation, information was randomly "located" to confirm this change. Although there was no previous collateral or communication that I could find indicating free charging sessions or indication of free charging for any MB EVs at the new MCN stations, it's now officially communicated that 2024 MB EVs will receive complimentary 2-year charging sessions, similar to EA's 2-year promotional period. Thus, the implication is that earlier model years that were never explicitly communicated to have free charging, even though I and another poster did receive free charging sessions, will no longer have free charging sessions. I plan to test this change by visiting Richmond, KY Buc-ees, and will report back. The new MCN stations are limited in number and proximity, but it's a step in the right direction.
'22&'23 had 6 Months since Nov Last year. See Time stamp 41:34

Old 05-20-2024, 06:58 PM

Received 152 Likes on 114 Posts
2005 SL 500. 2015 S550. 2016 GLE400 2018 S560
You would think that Mercedes would want to take care of their EQ customers. Look at the declining sales for the EQS!! I have been a Mercedes owner for the last 20 years. I went from the S class into an EQS sedan. I really like the car, but not so much the way corporate has treated us early adopters of these electric vehicles. It’s the most I’ve ever paid for a car and the most a car has ever depreciated on me. At least I didn’t pay a mark up. But with a new platform and putting up with all the bugs as an early adapter, I figured it was part of the process of owning a new model. Free charging was at least something we get back. Not to allow us early adapters to get free Mercedes charging is a slap in the face.
I also sent emails to corporate several times as I was in the process of purchasing the car and not once did I get a reply. I’ve seen a few long time Mercedes customers drop the brand and buy elsewhere. I’m seriously considering going to another brand when I eventually decide to part with my 580 sedan. But believe me, I really like how the car drives and most likely will stay with an electric vehicle.
Old 05-25-2024, 01:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
None
MB Chargers at Buc-ees

They are free for now. I don't know for how long though.
Old 05-25-2024, 02:58 PM

2022 EQS 450+
YMMV, but personally I have no expectation of continued free charging. I have no problem with paying for my fuel, whether it be in my wife's ICE or in my EQS. It is really cheap, in my opinion, to refuel the EQS.....like about a quarter of a tank for my wife's ICE. I mean, really....they gave it to me for free for two years.