Clunky Doors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 06:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2023 EQS 580 Sedan
Clunky Doors

Survey says….

Cool pop out EQS door handles but pull the handle to open and it feels clunky to me. Between the windows adjusting themselves and the uncertain latch release point when pulling the handle, it don’t feel a sense of confidence it will open. And definitely not smoothly. Is it an electrical or mechanical opener, because if electrical, Germany definitely needs to fine tune it. My former A8 had electric release doors when pulling the handle, but it was a more confident pull and open, even if once in a while it too tripped up. Thoughts?
Old 05-03-2024, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,122 Likes on 734 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by dmstl
Survey says….

Cool pop out EQS door handles but pull the handle to open and it feels clunky to me. Between the windows adjusting themselves and the uncertain latch release point when pulling the handle, it don’t feel a sense of confidence it will open. And definitely not smoothly. Is it an electrical or mechanical opener, because if electrical, Germany definitely needs to fine tune it. My former A8 had electric release doors when pulling the handle, but it was a more confident pull and open, even if once in a while it too tripped up. Thoughts?
It can be clunky at times. I haven't heard any complaints about the early "popping" issue for a while (they would get partially stuck when deploying). I think it was due to a fit that was too tight to allow smooth operation when too hot or cold. After a some lubrication mine have worked themselves out, probably from normal wear. The system is mechanical just a little motor or probably a solenoid that pushes them in and out. There are 2 sensors, one on the outside of the handle, the ther one inside. The inside one seems to be optical.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
EQS 450+
I have had endless problems with my driver's side door. The handle never worked right from day 1. About 6 months after buying the car, the rear part of the handle was no longer flush with the door. Dealer says somebody hit the door, but there is no mark and no collision recording. Took the car in 7 times to get the handle adjusted, usually it was back the next day. Finally, it stuck halfway out and took about a 40 pound pull to open the door. Turns out there was a broken carrier, since replaced and has worked mostly well, still get an occasional "fail to open, snap back" on the handle. Still not flush but better than it was. Additionally, I have told the Dealer to not the touch the door unless they have my express permission first.

I also have the same problem with the door not staying open and closing on my legs.....on a flat surface. Dealer won't replace the hinges.
Old 05-22-2024, 08:31 PM

Received 467 Likes on 293 Posts
2022 EQS 450+
Haven't had many issues. Occasionally, will reach for the handle and it won't open unless I hold my fingers in place for a minute to unlock, because it was in the process of autolocking. Otherwise has been flawless. Sorry to hear you are having this problem. Surprised the dealer could not fix it.....maybe another dealer?
Old 05-22-2024, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Dronepilot
I have had endless problems with my driver's side door. The handle never worked right from day 1. About 6 months after buying the car, the rear part of the handle was no longer flush with the door. Dealer says somebody hit the door, but there is no mark and no collision recording. Took the car in 7 times to get the handle adjusted, usually it was back the next day. Finally, it stuck halfway out and took about a 40 pound pull to open the door. Turns out there was a broken carrier, since replaced and has worked mostly well, still get an occasional "fail to open, snap back" on the handle. Still not flush but better than it was. Additionally, I have told the Dealer to not the touch the door unless they have my express permission first.

I also have the same problem with the door not staying open and closing on my legs.....on a flat surface. Dealer won't replace the hinges.
I have the same problem on my 580 SUV in that the driver’s door constantly closes on my legs when getting out when I am parked on a flat surface. It is very, very annoying.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:41 AM

Received 160 Likes on 102 Posts
23' EQS AMG
Frameless window doors always have felt flimsy to me. The EQS falls in this category. My problem is that the seating is too far in that I have to "climb" out of the sedan and putting more pressure on the side upholstery seats with my leg to get out. I don't have to do that on my 7 series F02. Back to the door, it does feel heavy opening but I currently have no complains about it.