EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Damaged charge port

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 04:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 450+, 2020 BMW i3, 2017 BMW 328d
Damaged charge port

Has anyone experienced damage to their charge port? I inspected mine and found some damage to one of the DC pins. By the looks of it, some of the copper-like material has embedded/melted into the pin.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:50 AM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by capt_slow
Has anyone experienced damage to their charge port? I inspected mine and found some damage to one of the DC pins. By the looks of it, some of the copper-like material has embedded/melted into the pin.
Have you attempted to charge the car since you noticed the damaged pin? What do you think may have been the cause?
Old 05-29-2024, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,088 Likes on 718 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Looks like corrosion. Try WD 40.
Old 05-29-2024, 03:00 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by c4004matic
Looks like corrosion. Try WD 40.
I don't think it looks like corrosion. It's not like the pin was connected to the charging plug for an extended period in wet conditions. If the microswitch failed to stop the current when pressing the latch lever on top of the CCS1 plug, and the charging session was not stopped by pressing the button at the lower right corner of the charging port before the CCS1 connector was removed, then I can see where it may have been possible that the pin could have been damaged.
Old 06-01-2024, 04:12 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
EQE 350 4matic
I’ve had this happen to my EQE sedan from a electrify America charger in NorCal, had to replace charge port and it costed $3k filed a case with electrify America for reimbursement waiting the last 2 months with little response
Old 06-01-2024, 08:07 AM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by EQEBlue
I’ve had this happen to my EQE sedan from a electrify America charger in NorCal, had to replace charge port and it costed $3k filed a case with electrify America for reimbursement waiting the last 2 months with little response
I wonder how often this occurs. I believe this could only happen if the switch in the EA connector failed AND the charging session is not stopped prior to unplugging the connector. In other words, don’t unplug the connector unless the status light in the charging port is white.

Could you share the part numbers for the repair? I am curious to know how much of the $3K cost was labor.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2022 EQS 450+, 2020 BMW i3, 2017 BMW 328d
PSA: Inspect your charger before you plug it in.

Originally Posted by LAZARU5
Have you attempted to charge the car since you noticed the damaged pin? What do you think may have been the cause?
It charged successfully the day prior at a EA station, but the charger was clean when I inspected it. I think the damage came from another EA station the prior month (when I last charged). Those EA plugs are not in the best condition, found one a few weeks ago with signs of fire damage: strong electrical smoke smell, black and melted plastic components, fragments of copper conductor everywhere. Obviously I didn't use it, but scary part was the charge was still showing Available for use. The other plug at this same station wasn't far behind in condition. That little 5-min saga got me to start inspecting plugs before charging.

Thankfully, MB changed out my charge port harness under goodwill. Apparently, it's a common enough issue that they are taking it seriously. I imagine under the right conditions it can become a fire hazard.

Last edited by capt_slow; 06-09-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,088 Likes on 718 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by capt_slow
It charged successfully the day prior at a EA station, but the charger was clean when I inspected it. I think the damage came from another EA station the prior month (when I last charged). Those EA plugs are not in the best condition, found one a few weeks ago with signs of fire damage: strong electrical smoke smell, black and melted plastic components, fragments of copper conductor everywhere. Obviously I didn't use it, but scary part was the charge was still showing Available for use. The other plug at this same station wasn't far behind in condition. That little 5-min saga got me to start inspecting plugs before charging.

Thankfully, MB changed out my charge port harness under goodwill. Apparently, it's a common enough issue that they are taking it seriously. I imagine under the right conditions it can become a fire hazard.

Looks like that charger has been to houses of ill repute in Bangkok
Old 06-09-2024, 12:36 PM

EQE 350 4matic
Originally Posted by LAZARU5
I wonder how often this occurs. I believe this could only happen if the switch in the EA connector failed AND the charging session is not stopped prior to unplugging the connector. In other words, don’t unplug the connector unless the status light in the charging port is white.

Could you share the part numbers for the repair? I am curious to know how much of the $3K cost was labor.
No, I believe you misunderstood the type of failure here(at least in my case) The CCS DC sockets inside the plug are misaligned due to some charge ports/adapters overheating.

when you plug in the misaligned dc sockets scrap and push your car’s DC pins and after charging, (NOTE: here never just press the button on connector to stop charging as this would disconnect hot contactors, use the car’s soft/hard button or stations soft button to stop charging) and when you remove the plug it removes material or clumps it.

Your vehicle still would be able to charge but would throttle sooner and would damage any plugs you plug into.

part number for the port and wiring harness is
295-540-93-18 at cost of $805

and labor of $2200

my dealership had two other EQ vehicles with similar damages prior one a EQB and another EQE, the EQE had a goodwill replacement from MB but the EQB and my EQE were declined and were asked to go thru Electrify America. The EQab owner seem to have gone thru insurance.
Old 06-09-2024, 12:39 PM

EQE 350 4matic
Also the charge port has a new design were you cannot remove the DC pin plug which is quite annoying I must say. The damage to my ports were quite a bit significant the OPs but I didn’t smell burning just throttling down to 35A delivery in 2 mins
Old 06-10-2024, 12:11 PM

EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Originally Posted by EQEBlue
Also the charge port has a new design were you cannot remove the DC pin plug which is quite annoying I must say....
Could you explain issue with the new design in more detail?