EQS EQS (V297) sedan

EQS reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cadillac ELR, Callaway Corvette
EQS reliability

I currently have a Cadillac ELR PHEV. Cadillac has ended support and I am thinking about a full EV. I want the Tesla charging network but not the terrible interiors and build quality.

I found the EQS by looking at best 70mph range.

Are these reliable cars? While I don’t get it too much credit, Consumers Reports didn’t not give favorable reviews…only above Polestar which was terrible.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:02 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
Well, on an EQS forum, you're probably not going to get many folks who disparage the EQS. i've got just over 28,000 trouble free miles on mine. It has needed a software update or two, nothing more. It is a dream to drive, smooth, quiet and luxurious. Killer stereo. I love the styling. I get approximately 370 miles per 80% charge in the Summer months in Texas, less in the Winter. No plans to drive anything else in the near future.
The following 6 users liked this post by hlothery:
dmstl (06-15-2024), MBNUT1 (06-16-2024), pmichaelmd (06-16-2024), QuadBenz (06-15-2024), SurfnSun (06-15-2024), tooold2race (06-30-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-15-2024, 05:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
2023 EQS 580 Sedan
Traded a first edition 2019 Audi A8 for my 2023 EQS580 sedan. While the Audi was next-level luxe with every option known to man, I prefer the EQS’ driving dynamics. Doesn’t feel like a boat. While not as luxe, it’s a very nice ride with its interior wow factor. So far so good on reliability at 3 months, and loving the fact that my “free” Mercedes garage charger is a very inexpensive charging option.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by hlothery
Well, on an EQS forum, you're probably not going to get many folks who disparage the EQS. i've got just over 28,000 trouble free miles on mine. It has needed a software update or two, nothing more. It is a dream to drive, smooth, quiet and luxurious. Killer stereo. I love the styling. I get approximately 370 miles per 80% charge in the Summer months in Texas, less in the Winter. No plans to drive anything else in the near future.
yeah, I get that. I’ve had cars that I loved that still weren’t very reliable and I try to be honest about it. 😂.

My ELR is slower than molasses but it’s a great looking car that has been decent to me. With only 2500 copies built in two production years, It was easy to see that replacement parts would run out pretty soon. I just didn’t think it was going to be this soon.

Ive always really loved having a unicorn/rare car, but this one has made me second-guess that.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 06-15-2024 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by dmstl
Traded a first edition 2019 Audi A8 for my 2023 EQS580 sedan. While the Audi was next-level luxe with every option known to man, I prefer the EQS’ driving dynamics. Doesn’t feel like a boat. While not as luxe, it’s a very nice ride with its interior wow factor. So far so good on reliability at 3 months, and loving the fact that my “free” Mercedes garage charger is a very inexpensive charging option.
I love the interior, that’s probably the major draw other than the range.

I already installed a charger in my garage for my ELR, so I’m covered there.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 06-15-2024 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:00 PM

Received 445 Likes on 279 Posts
EQS 450+
Originally Posted by SurfnSun
I love the interior, that’s probably the major draw other than the range.

I already installed a charger in my garage for my ELR, so I’m covered there.
Just make sure you read my thread on my garage fire, and make sure your charger was properly installed. The EQS has a 9.6kW charger on board, and will pull a steady 40amps for the entire charging cycle, which might be up to 6-8 hours, depending on state of discharge of the battery. Inferior wiring or plugs will not withstand this demand. You have to have 6awg wire, preferably directly wired to your charger, or reduce the amperage of the wallbox.. The fewer connections the better. But absolutely no problems with the car during charging. It has worked flawlessly. I love this car, would highly recommend it to anyone.
The following 2 users liked this post by hlothery:
dmstl (06-15-2024), SurfnSun (06-15-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hlothery
Just make sure you read my thread on my garage fire, and make sure your charger was properly installed. The EQS has a 9.6kW charger on board, and will pull a steady 40amps for the entire charging cycle, which might be up to 6-8 hours, depending on state of discharge of the battery. Inferior wiring or plugs will not withstand this demand. You have to have 6awg wire, preferably directly wired to your charger, or reduce the amperage of the wallbox.. The fewer connections the better. But absolutely no problems with the car during charging. It has worked flawlessly. I love this car, would highly recommend it to anyone.
yeah I saw your thread. I want to move my charger in my garage, when I do I will go direct wired 50a and lose the plug.
The following users liked this post:
hlothery (06-15-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 02:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cadillac ELR. EQS450+
I currently have a Cadillac ELR PHEV. Cadillac has ended support and I am thinking about a full EV. I want the Tesla charging network but not the terrible interiors and build quality.

Are these reliable cars? While I don’t get it too much credit, Consumers Reports didn’t not give favorable reviews…only above Polestar which was terrible.
what do you mean GM has stopped supporting the ELR? I had a 2014 ($40k discount!) and now the quicker 2016. No problems getting service or parts here in NE Ohio. Both have been decent for reliability.

My 2022 EQS 450+ is racking up the miles quickly, and have only had 1 sw update and 1 flat tire. It's a comfortable cruiser, but that ELR still gets the looks!
I recommend it
SurfnSun (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 302 Likes on 209 Posts
2022 EQS580

For what it’s worth, other than a few software issues, I’ve had zero problems with my EQS 580 that’s a bit over 2 years old.
SurfnSun (06-16-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trekguy77
what do you mean GM has stopped supporting the ELR? I had a 2014 ($40k discount!) and now the quicker 2016. No problems getting service or parts here in NE Ohio. Both have been decent for reliability.

My 2022 EQS 450+ is racking up the miles quickly, and have only had 1 sw update and 1 flat tire. It's a comfortable cruiser, but that ELR still gets the looks!
I recommend it
I have a 2016 also. The ELR does get a ton of attention bc it’s so rare.

Part are discontinued all over the place. I love the car but my dealer tells me I got the last right side CV axel in the country. Ive heard of others having parts issues as well.

My battery is weak and I’m about to sue GM for not replacing it when it was still under warranty. My car has averaged well over 200mpg for 90% of its life(now over 90k miles), so that’s a lot of charge cycles but still….it was under warranty and should have been covered.
Old 06-16-2024, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 784 Likes on 504 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
I consider my EQS to be extremely reliable. I don’t worry about it. If I had a trip where I wanted a dependable vehicle I would take it.

And as context i also have a second car which happens to be JD Powers highest rated vehicle in their 3 year vehicle dependability study - The Porsche 718

So there you have it. I own the JD Powers rated most reliable single model of car currently sold, and I consider the EQS to be just as reliable.
SurfnSun (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
The software doesn't instill confidence. If your tire pressure is too low, for example, you'll get a flurry of messages about driver assistance things being disabled. I'm also constantly being notified that my flash drive is full, that there might still be someone in the car, and apparently I can't remember to take my keys anywhere. Once you learn to ignore the system and all the nonsense it's trying to tell you, though, it's not so nerve-racking. I've turned off everything that can be turned off at this point and the car always goes when I want to go, which is what a car is supposed to do, not start invigorating refreshment programs in the middle of an intersection and squirting fragrances up my nose while I'm trying to maneuver between big trucks.

This'll be my first and last Mercedes for sure though.

Last edited by Crito; 06-17-2024 at 07:31 AM.
SurfnSun (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:03 AM

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
No issues for us at 23,000 miles. In general, it seems like manufacturers are providing less part support these days. All sorts of stuff is out of stock/no longer made for my 2008 MB, which is not surprising. However, I'm seeing parts out of stock/no longer made on my daughter's 2018 Ford Fusion Energi. Maybe supply chain problems arose and auto companies never bothered to find a new path?
Old 06-17-2024, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by nath_h
No issues for us at 23,000 miles. In general, it seems like manufacturers are providing less part support these days. All sorts of stuff is out of stock/no longer made for my 2008 MB, which is not surprising. However, I'm seeing parts out of stock/no longer made on my daughter's 2018 Ford Fusion Energi. Maybe supply chain problems arose and auto companies never bothered to find a new path?
10 years is the typical support cycle. Both my ELR and C6 Corvette have seen the end of support prior to the 10 year mark. Maybe its just GM...no idea.