EQS EQS (V297) sedan

Driving US->Canada: How to display temperatures in Celsius?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 07:35 AM

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts
No Mercedes yet
Driving US->Canada: How to display temperatures in Celsius?

OK, so I've just driven across the border from the US to Canada (for a Summer vacation). I was able to figure out how to get mileages (and speed) displayed in kilometers (per hour). But is there any way to get the outside temperature (and inside climate control temperature) displayed in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit? This is not essential, of course, but would be nice to have ("when in Canada, do as the Canadians do").
Old 07-21-2024, 03:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EQS 450v4
Nope.

Story time...

So back in the 1970s and 80s, when MB was importing relatively unchanged Euro-spec cars (they would change the bumpers and a couple lights for US laws, and of course the speedo), they made the rather Germanic decision to leave the temperature wheel indicating only in Celsius. Makes sense, because the number of people who use F in the world is really just a small fraction, almost a rounding error, and surely the Americans can deal with it. The wheel even had blue and red sections. But, man, the backlash that occurred was funny. "I paid nearly $50k for this S-class, and I can't even figure out how to set the damn temperature?". So once digital dashboards started making an appearance, the outside temperature was indicated in F. And dials and electronic A/C controls were in F. And from that point forward, even though it's trivial to put in the menu as an option, it's tied to the country coding of the car. US model = F, period. And basically, per MB USA, there's no way in hell they will ever allow C here again. :-) Super annoying. Some MB can be coded back to C, but not all. The coding on the EQS to get it back to C didn't work, so I'm stuck with the F. Mercedes is worse than even Apple when it comes to "we know what's best for you..."