European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Road Tax Bill After ED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Road Tax Bill After ED

A week after returning from our ED trip I got a tax bill from Germany - posted below. I was told by MB to ignore this because they have already paid it. This is mentioned in the ED handbook, but I'd missed it. Posting here to help others who might wonder why they got this. Germany is usually so efficient, its a puzzle why this happens, but so be it.

The road tax bill - ignore it.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
To reinforce your post, I was also told at the delivery center to ignore any road tax bill I may receive.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:48 AM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A
It's not a bill, it's a notice

Originally Posted by ted_jane
To reinforce your post, I was also told at the delivery center to ignore any road tax bill I may receive.
It is correct that the EDP customer does not have to pay the amount shown. It is NOT, however, a bill. It is a notice that the € amount due will be automatically debited to the bank account number shown (IBANxxxxxx).

The reason it was sent is because the German road tax system is automatically set up to send this notice to the registered owner of the vehicle. For 99+% of German registrations, this would, therefore, show the bank account of the registered owner. In the case of EDP, MB or their "agent" provides their bank account information for the debiting of the road tax for the 14 day "free for you" road tax. The "free for you" 14-Day full coverage insurance is also paid directly by MB/EDP directly to the German Car Insurance provider.

For anyone who wants to stay longer (up to 6 months without having to prepay the refundable German VAT), the additional insurance charge will be collected by your selling dealer and shown on your window sticker in the "options" section. The additional road tax charge will be collected by the EDP Center when you pick up your car (cash & credit cards accepted).

Hope this helps.
Bill
Old 06-07-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2018 E400S
Originally Posted by BillyD
It is correct that the EDP customer does not have to pay the amount shown. It is NOT, however, a bill. It is a notice that the € amount due will be automatically debited to the bank account number shown (IBANxxxxxx).

The reason it was sent is because the German road tax system is automatically set up to send this notice to the registered owner of the vehicle. For 99+% of German registrations, this would, therefore, show the bank account of the registered owner. In the case of EDP, MB or their "agent" provides their bank account information for the debiting of the road tax for the 14 day "free for you" road tax. The "free for you" 14-Day full coverage insurance is also paid directly by MB/EDP directly to the German Car Insurance provider.

Bill
Thanks for explaining. My knowledge of German is way to little to understand what the document said, even with Google Translate. When I did ED with BMW I never got this notice. Is it a new regulation; maybe region specific? Your explanation makes complete sense, but the German road tax seems like a waste of postage and paper in the case of ED deliveries.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Got mine last week too. I suspected what it was but used Google Translate to confirm.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->I hate the taxes nowadays. Having to pay a tax after you paid a bill sounds so crazy. They are just getting more and more money from you without any remorse. It is unbelievable how thirsty for money people have become. I see new businesses that are not doing good because they have to pay a lot of unnecessary taxes that can be easily covered with the right management. Just getting a paystub maker and putting the right prices on products can easily get your business running perfectly.