European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Winter Tire Rentals?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLA250
Winter Tire Rentals?

I am picking up my new GLC300 Coupe in January and the vehicle comes with summer performance tires. I know there was a previous thread discussing how the tires can not be changed out at the factory, but I was wondering if there was a tire shop nearby the factory in or around Stuttgart where I can rent winter tires. There is a tire rental place in Munich for BMW European deliveries, but I have yet to find one online for Mercedes vehicles.

I was planning on driving through Switzerland into Italy, but I obviously can not do that without changing my tires out.

Also, if I purchase new tires would I be able to leave the extra set of tires in the vehicle for transport? I am assuming this is a "no" because of customs.

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E53 AMG
Hi, Looks like we are in the same boat. When is your pick up? Mine will be on Friday Jan 18th for an E53 AMG

I did some research and reached out to the following companies today

https://schaefer-reifen.de/reifen-tr...reifen-mieten/ (rosi.hermesdorf@schaefer-reifen.de)
https://www.reiff-reifen.de/de/conte...Standorte.html (rs.moehringen@reiff-reifen.de)
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM

CLA250
I am picking mine up on Tuesday, Jan 15th for a GLC 300 Coupe.

I have actually contacted EDtires.com and he advised that he is unaware of any rental companies for Mercedes. I also have emailed quite a few tire stores to see if they would rent and/or buy back tires from me used but so far I have had no luck. It is amazing that Mercedes does not have a program for winter tires, as I would think they would not be able to deliver a car not legal to drive. I may end up having to purchase winter tires form a store in Germany and after my week, ship them back to the US. So far the best pricing I have received for shipping is about $400.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 PM

E53 AMG
That is very unfortunate. I received the same responses as well.
My tires would cost $1200 not including shipping, so I am not entertaining that option for just a week. I may just pick up the car, drive it for a bit and park it if the road conditions were snowy or icy. In addition, I live in Texas and have no use for winter tires.
I reached back out to the ED department at MBUSA to look for options. I think we need to apply more pressure there. This is really unacceptable if you think about it.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,676 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
MBUSA specifically warns about this and specifically states there is no winter tire program. There's a PDF included about this in the email you got from them with the order confirmation. Car manufactures in Europe are not responsible for car owners/drivers to adhere to local traffic regulations. It's your responsibility to either not drive during winter conditions or to organize winter tires. Due to customs regulations, the car must return to the states with the original tires and all loose items must be removed, so you can't ship a set of winter tires in the car. It is generally a bad idea to schedule ED between November and April if the car comes with summer tires from the factory. Audi before they terminated their ED program at the end of last year was the only German manufacturer that didn't even deliver ED cars on summer tires between November and April. MB, BMW and Porsche as far as I know leave it up to the owner. I scheduled my C63CS delivery for the beginning of May, specifically because of the winter tire situation and the fact that many great mountain passes that are worth driving are closed during the winter.

Here's the text that should have been part of the email you got from MBUSA.

Winter Travel:
 MBUSA European Delivery does not have a winter tire exchange program do to legal and logistical issues. We do not recommend driving in winter conditions.
 In Europe, vehicles must have winter tires in wintery weather. Cars with “R02 code” All Season Tires (M+S marked on the side of the tire ) meet the winter tire laws in Germany and Austria.
 Due to Customs regulations, the vehicle must return to the States with the original tires from the factory.
*While traveling in Europe during the months of November through April, it is the
responsibility of the car owner/driver to adhere to local traffic regulations, which require that a vehicle must have winter tires in winter driving conditions, and take appropriate measures for travel in prevailing weather conditions. As stated in the Operator's Manual for your vehicle, always use winter tires at temperatures below 45 degrees F (7degrees C) and whenever wintry road conditions prevail. See your Operator's Manual for specific details concerning operation of your vehicle, including information concerning tires and snow chains for winter driving conditions.
While traveling in Austria during winter months of November through April, you must have winter tires.
If you disregard this, you can be assessed with a fine of up to € 5.000. Austria & Switzerland:
If you travel through Austria, and/or Switzerland an International Driver’s License is needed. It can be obtained from any AAA location in the U.S., and its cost varies. The vehicle must also have a sticker for travel on the roadways, which can be purchased at gasoline stations (Germany and Austria) and at the borders. Authorities in both countries fine heavily for non-compliance with these regulations. These additional costs are the responsibility of the customer. Cars with “R02 code” All Season Tires (M+S marked on the side of the tire ) meet the winter tire laws in Germany and Austria.
While traveling in Austria during winter months of November through April, you must have winter tires. If you disregard this, you may be assessed with a fine of up to € 5.000.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-09-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:29 PM

2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
I lived in Germany for 6 years (near Heidelberg) and never had a problem driving with normal tires. If you're going to be in central Germany and France you probably won't need winter tires, however, if you want to go to Italy you'll be going through mountains that may require winter tires. Hopefully your trip went well and you didn't experience winter driving problems, but please give us a brief summary of your experience.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by skromfols
I lived in Germany for 6 years (near Heidelberg) and never had a problem driving with normal tires. If you're going to be in central Germany and France you probably won't need winter tires, however, if you want to go to Italy you'll be going through mountains that may require winter tires. Hopefully your trip went well and you didn't experience winter driving problems, but please give us a brief summary of your experience.
We haven't heard back from OP if he went through with the delivery, but this is ill advice. You might be fine, yes, but as stated, it's the law in Germany. If you get in an accident during winter conditions, you are immediately at fault and the insurance may not cover the damage due to gross negligence on the part of the insured if your car is found to be equipped with not at least M+S tires.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:32 PM

2017 Jaguar XE (TDI)
That really seems to be a remote possibility, although possible. But in the time I lived in Germany, Italy and Hungary no American I knew switched to winter tires and none of them ever had a problem. But I guess if you caused an accident because you were driving unsafe with tires that were not meant for the road conditions you could have a problem. I just never found conditions such that winter tires were necessary.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by skromfols
That really seems to be a remote possibility, although possible. But in the time I lived in Germany, Italy and Hungary no American I knew switched to winter tires and none of them ever had a problem. But I guess if you caused an accident because you were driving unsafe with tires that were not meant for the road conditions you could have a problem. I just never found conditions such that winter tires were necessary.
So, just a bit of background. I'm from Switzerland. Born there and lived there for 25 years before moving to the USA, and my family is still there so I visit over the holidays frequently. Very familiar with Central Europe during the winter. If one drives after the roads have been cleared and there is no ice, then yes, most of the time you'll be ok. Actually, what do you mean by normal tires? OP's car has summer performance tires, and those are not a good idea in the winter whatsoever if there is a chance of snow or ice on the road. All-season, yes, you'll be fine. M+S tires are a special category of all-season tires that can cope better with a certain amount of snow. The main roads tend to be cleared quickly and if the winter is mild, then typically no big issues. Europe has had mild winters for a long time, but the last couple of winters were anything but mild. Not sure when you've lived there. I've gotten stuck even on snow capable tires trying to get out of friend's driveways and out of small villages late at night during a heavy snow fall, so it all depends when and where you find yourself driving and if the winter is mild or not, but it general, you could be in for a surprise with summer performance tires and end up of the side of the road or worst case cause an accident with property damage or at a minimum be an obstacle to others, because you have to drive really really slowly if you get surprised by snow fall or ice.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:20 PM

2014 Mercedes-Benz GLK350
Never knew that you could rent tires. What brand of winter tires are you planning to rent. You might want to go for Toyo Observe G3-Ice Tires, in case they have it. It helped me survived extreme winters during cross-country road trips.