European Delivery of Your New Car Discuss the process and issues associated with European Delivery for non-Euro members.

Selecting a dealership for delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 09:11 PM

Received 120 Likes on 102 Posts
The horses are now in the barn, 2019 E63s
Selecting a dealership for delivery

I still have some flexibility in the shipping/delivery details of my ED and am considering a dealership in the southeast to forego the additional shipping transit time for the car.

I've heard Atlanta Classic Cars is very good and I'm also considering the dealership in Birmingham, AL. I was told there will be offloads at Brunswick, GA which will save approximately 2-3 weeks transit time but more than anything I'm trying to determine the advantages/disadvantages of delivery to the dealership who ordered it for me and the one in my city. I was also told that delivery to any dealership other than the one ordering the car will charge $500.

All input is appreciated.

RB
Old 02-26-2020, 11:49 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
BMW X3, Mercedes GLC300 (EDP)
The ordering dealer negotiates the fee with the delivery dealer. The recommendation is an 80/20 split of the 10% commission that the ordering dealer receives for the sale of an ED car.

European Delivery Dealer Workbook
Old 02-27-2020, 10:10 PM

TJ, much obliged for the info however after reviewing it all I didn't find anything describing what the delivery dealer is doing to the car to warrant 25% of the commission. I am considering a dealer in Atlanta or Birmingham for a couple of reasons one of which is to get it off the boat as soon as possible and because of family in the area. Otherwise the car is going all the way to the west coast and still possibly to a dealer other than the ordering dealership. Surprisingly the ordering dealer didn't have the slightest hesitation recommending a dealer in Atlanta. Thanks again for the workbook; great insight.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Should make little difference, but ...

For offload the car will go to a Vehicle Prep Center (VPC), and from there to the pick-up dealer. Unless these are very far apart or the pick-up dealer receives so few cars from the VPC that there is a wait for a truck, the wait should be the same.

In contrast, where you drop off in Europe can make a huge difference. All ED cars exit Germany via Bremerhaven. So, for example, if you drop off the car in Rome or London it will have to be shipped to Bremerhaven.

Dropping off in Bremerhaven can cut 7-10 days off the average wait time. Asking in advance for ship departure dates and synchronizing with that might also save a day or two more.

[I paid 30 Euro for a Bremerhaven-Amsterdam train for my return flight.]
Old 05-23-2020, 12:01 AM

Thanks RR but my bigger problem is getting my original order revived for production and the Delivery Center back in operation. One of the last changes I made was pushing off my ED to late August with the option for September. Like I said though, I gotta get a car produced first.