Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Warranty Options? Taking delivery this week

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
‘19 AMG S63
Originally Posted by m3422c
I have the MB Tire Plus warranty on my 2012 S350 (18" wheels). This winter I went through 9 tires to to horrible road conditions here in New York. I never had to even attempt to file a claim - the MB dealer just replaces the tire (and, 3 times, the wheel) at no charge! For the $1000 cost of the warranty, I have received over $6000 worth of tires and wheels - this definitely paid off for me. I will be getting this on my 2015 S550 when it gets here.

Your post may just answer the question on the tire/wheel warranty the best.

That is, if you have a high risk (such as in NY) of busting tires/wheels then it might be worth it to buy the warranty. This is no different then any other type of business decision. Some time it goes your way (ie, collect on the warranty) other times it will not go your way. I don't like the idea of warranties either but it just depends on your particular circumstance.

Of course, the whole idea of insurance is that someone has to subsidize MB spending $6000 on a customer only paying $1000 for insurance. So each of us has to figure out if we should buy the insurance or not.

I do have to chuckle abit about the emotions about insurance. I am a CPA with a law degree in the financial planning/investment/insurance business. In my almost 30 years of being in business, insurance brings out the emotions in people. Just forget about the word of insurance. Just think of this as a business decision and make a good decision for yourself.

This reminds me also of clients sometimes. At times I have clients that are worth more then $50 million dollars but don't want to buy a second to die life insurance policy to replace the $20 million or so of US federal estate tax simply because they don't like insurance (caveat--there might be other ways to deal with estate taxes such as trusts, etc but we are talking about insurance here). Well this again comes down to a business decision and the emotions should be taken out of the situation.

Good luck on the business decision of buying or not buying MB insurance on tires/wheels!

Last edited by MTrauman; 06-27-2014 at 12:16 PM.