Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

MB Extended Warranty - Low Aux Volume

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
MB Extended Warranty - Low Aux Volume

Hey Guys!

I have the low aux volume issue on my C300. I think a firmware update would fix it, but not sure...I have the Audio 20 system, not command.

I have extended warranty, but the Dealership is being such asses about it....saying it's not covered because I have Audio 20.

I attached a pic of the extended warranty...does anyone see a section that shows the Audio 20 being covered? Specifically there are a bunch of abbreviations in the electronics section (ADS, ESP, PSE, etc) and I'm wondering if one of those is it?

Thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails MB Extended Warranty - Low Aux Volume-warranty.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by afeudale
Hey Guys!

I have the low aux volume issue on my C300. I think a firmware update would fix it, but not sure...I have the Audio 20 system, not command.

I have extended warranty, but the Dealership is being such asses about it....saying it's not covered because I have Audio 20.

I attached a pic of the extended warranty...does anyone see a section that shows the Audio 20 being covered? Specifically there are a bunch of abbreviations in the electronics section (ADS, ESP, PSE, etc) and I'm wondering if one of those is it?

Thanks!!

From what I can tell there's nothing wrong with the low volume with the AUX port. I also experience this in my C300, and all my research points to this being something that was Mercedes' intent. Probably a "safety" feature so you don't blow the speakers while in warranty. You can go through your radio's settings and make sure "Booster" is enabled, which does make it a lot louder, but this is still a tad too quite when the windows are down and the sun roof is open.

There is a possible workaround though. I've been looking at an AUX amp booster

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0ZP-003J-00001

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-17-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Words
Old 06-18-2014, 06:07 PM

C300
Thanks for the reply :-)

Yeah, maybe it was their intent, but it's really, really low volume. I have the Audio 20 system, not Command, so I don't have the "Booster" option...

Yes, I was looking at boosters as well, those FiiO don't look too promising...I'm probably going to go with Sound Shocker: http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp

I was more wondering if anyone had the firmware updated on an Audio 20 system and if it added that "Boost" option?
Old 06-18-2014, 06:34 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Thanks for the reply :-)

Yeah, maybe it was their intent, but it's really, really low volume. I have the Audio 20 system, not Command, so I don't have the "Booster" option...

Yes, I was looking at boosters as well, those FiiO don't look too promising...I'm probably going to go with Sound Shocker: http://phpaudio.jigsy.com/passive-preamp

I was more wondering if anyone had the firmware updated on an Audio 20 system and if it added that "Boost" option?
I have the Audio 20 system as well and not the Command. If you don't have have the boost option then you just need to get your firmware updated. The dealership should be able to do it. I've also heard that the transmission runs a lot smoother after the update. When I bought mine it already had the update so I can't confirm that last bit :/

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-18-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:55 AM

C300
Thanks! That brings me full circle back to my original question. I asked the dealer to update the firmware, but they said it's not covered under my extended warranty. The warranty lists "command" but does not list "Audio 20". Is the firmware update for the Audio 20 part of something else? i.e. main ECU, etc.? What module does this firmware get loaded to? If I can find it listed in the warranty, then they will cover it.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 AM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Thanks! That brings me full circle back to my original question. I asked the dealer to update the firmware, but they said it's not covered under my extended warranty. The warranty lists "command" but does not list "Audio 20". Is the firmware update for the Audio 20 part of something else? i.e. main ECU, etc.? What module does this firmware get loaded to? If I can find it listed in the warranty, then they will cover it.
Sounds like your dealership is full of dicks if they wont cover a firmware update... It's just flashing new software onto the main computer. Literally takes a couple of clicks once they plug your car up to their computers. If your warranty is through a separate company other than the dealership, I'd ask them where else you can take it. If it's through the dealership, I'd consider shopping around next time for a place that won't just see you as dollar signs. Which I know is hard to find lol.

If you do end up having to pay for the update it isn't too bad. I think someone said it was around $120 USD? It is important to get it though. Especially if it's a 4matic due to how fragile the transmission is in those models.

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-19-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 11:52 AM

C300
Oh yes, my dealership (and all the ones in my area) are complete losers. I have an extended warranty until August and they don't want to do anything under warranty...

They told me it would cost $150 just to connect to their computer to diagnose if an update is available. What asses.

Mine is manual transmission, so I'm not worried about the transmission firmware update.

Do you know the name of this "main computer"? Is it the ECU? If I can find this listed on the extended warranty documentation, then they will have to upgrade the firmware.

I attached a copy of the relevant warranty paperwork in my first post.

Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 06-19-2014, 12:23 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Oh yes, my dealership (and all the ones in my area) are complete losers. I have an extended warranty until August and they don't want to do anything under warranty...

They told me it would cost $150 just to connect to their computer to diagnose if an update is available. What asses.

Mine is manual transmission, so I'm not worried about the transmission firmware update.

Do you know the name of this "main computer"? Is it the ECU? If I can find this listed on the extended warranty documentation, then they will have to upgrade the firmware.

I attached a copy of the relevant warranty paperwork in my first post.

Thanks again for all your help!!

I did find this:

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/elect...re-update.html

All I could really find on the subject :/ It also seems like there are three different components that can be updated. Navigation, Radio (stuff), and ECU mapping. However, I found that information about the COMMAND system. So it does look like what ever controls the radio is it's own separate update. Meaning the can distinguish between a COMMAND and Audio 20 systems. I'm sorry man, but it looks like you got lawyered by your dealership >.<

EDIT: I've found a thread we're someone in your situation was able to get the dealership to update the firmware. Here it is:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...t-feature.html

Last edited by Skyline45; 06-19-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:56 AM

C300 sport
Originally Posted by Skyline45
I did find this:

All I could really find on the subject :/ It also seems like there are three different components that can be updated. Navigation, Radio (stuff), and ECU mapping. However, I found that information about the COMMAND system. So it does look like what ever controls the radio is it's own separate update. Meaning the can distinguish between a COMMAND and Audio 20 systems. I'm sorry man, but it looks like you got lawyered by your dealership >.<

EDIT: I've found a thread we're someone in your situation was able to get the dealership to update the firmware. Here it is:

I've tried this with multiple SAs at my local dealership for the past year. Not one even budged an inch. They all told me that they couldn't find anything about a firmware update for audio 20. Others also told me that any firmware update would have a valid reason that is diagnosed by the technicians. So I couldn't just tell them I saw it as a problem, the technicians had to have their own reason to update firmware.

My extended warranty just expired two weeks ago and I took the car in to get checked up, I spoke to my favorite SA one last time about the audio 20 and they gave me the same BS about being clueless. I've tried everything from explaining how it is a fault in the system, to how others have had it done at their dealerships and it solved the issue.

I'm hoping that my Indy shop will be able to flash new software, but I doubt they even have access to it, or at least newer firmware.

At $80+ for a decent amplifier, it's too steep for me to pay for something that shouldn't even be MY problem to begin with...
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM

C300
I did find this:

Yup, definitely got lawyered....lol

Yeah, I saw that thread before, but it doesn't really say what module was upgraded....if the module is actually specifically the Audio 20, then it seems as though the extended warranty doesn't cover it.

I notice that my Bluetooth handsfree on the car goes garbled sometimes and was wondering if it's part of the same firmware update...or maybe a different module?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:17 AM

C300
Originally Posted by Rodpwnz
I've tried this with multiple SAs at my local dealership for the past year. Not one even budged an inch. They all told me that they couldn't find anything about a firmware update for audio 20. Others also told me that any firmware update would have a valid reason that is diagnosed by the technicians. So I couldn't just tell them I saw it as a problem, the technicians had to have their own reason to update firmware.

My extended warranty just expired two weeks ago and I took the car in to get checked up, I spoke to my favorite SA one last time about the audio 20 and they gave me the same BS about being clueless. I've tried everything from explaining how it is a fault in the system, to how others have had it done at their dealerships and it solved the issue.

I'm hoping that my Indy shop will be able to flash new software, but I doubt they even have access to it, or at least newer firmware.

At $80+ for a decent amplifier, it's too steep for me to pay for something that shouldn't even be MY problem to begin with...
Yeah, the more I go to the dealership, the more I realize they are completely full of **** and don't want to help anyone out...funny how they don't tell you of all these hassles when you're BUYING the extended warranty...
Old 06-20-2014, 11:05 AM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
Yup, definitely got lawyered....lol

Yeah, I saw that thread before, but it doesn't really say what module was upgraded....if the module is actually specifically the Audio 20, then it seems as though the extended warranty doesn't cover it.

I notice that my Bluetooth handsfree on the car goes garbled sometimes and was wondering if it's part of the same firmware update...or maybe a different module?
The second link in my "EDIT" entry is referring to the Audio 20 system only. I'm not sure about the bluetooth thing. Mine sometime doesn't have the best audio quality when making calls, but I always assumed that's because Bluetooth still hasn't been able to master amazing quality as a whole in the industry yet. It could be an update thing though.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM

C300
UPDATE: for anyone else having this problem, the dealership finally found a tech bulletin on this issue "low aux volume" and they need to use the "Telematics" CD to update the Audio 20 software. It now has the boost feature! In the article, it says that there are 2 part numbers for the radio that won't get the boost feature even with the update...so it's possible it might not work on yours.

That said, the Audio 20 is not covered under extended warranty, so I had to pay 1 hour of labour ($144....rip off) in order to update it.

But it's done now :-) Time to test it out!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:28 PM

2016 GLE450 AMG Coupe
UPDATE: for anyone else having this problem, the dealership finally found a tech bulletin on this issue "low aux volume" and they need to use the "Telematics" CD to update the Audio 20 software. It now has the boost feature! In the article, it says that there are 2 part numbers for the radio that won't get the boost feature even with the update...so it's possible it might not work on yours.

That said, the Audio 20 is not covered under extended warranty, so I had to pay 1 hour of labour ($144....rip off) in order to update it.

But it's done now :-) Time to test it out!
Awesome! I'm glad they finally got it fixed for you lol. Boost makes a huge difference, unless you have the windows down and sunroof open. At least this happens in mine. What about yours? Does it get quiet again if you open your windows up?
Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 AM

C300
Awesome! I'm glad they finally got it fixed for you lol. Boost makes a huge difference, unless you have the windows down and sunroof open. At least this happens in mine. What about yours? Does it get quiet again if you open your windows up?
After I tried it, I noticed it doesn't make as big a difference as I would like...only about 50% increase in volume....so I'm still going to have to buy a headphone booster. I'll try with windows up/down and see if it makes a difference...but doesn't really matter, because I prefer to have my windows down and still sufficient volume :-)