Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

Just saying .. There are other factors (pre-paid maint & ELW)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Just saying .. There are other factors (pre-paid maint & ELW)

Posting this here after posting similar as a reply in the E63s forum, since relevant here and to both pre-paid maintenance and ELW. The original topic was does pre-paid maintenance really save money.

Pre-paid maintenance can save you "up to 30% off" -- but notice those "up to" weasel words and .... You can save 15% with a Costco card at most dealerships or by just using the regular monthly specials they send you e-mails about. Next there is the time-value of money. If you pay now and you can be earning 15% on your money elsewhere, maybe your money should be elsewhere. Even in 2008-09 my money market funds paid 15%. [Stable investments for 15% in bad years and 25% in good ones lets me sleep at night.] Next, if you pre-pay maintenance and you trade in do you get anything back or additional? On MBZ's Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) you do not, versus being able arguably get some value back if you transfer to a private party purchaser. Just saying ....
Old 05-19-2018, 07:30 AM

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
'17 S63A4, '13 CLS4M, '99 CLK320A
Originally Posted by rroberts
On MBZ's Extended Limited Warranty (ELW) you do not, versus being able arguably get some value back if you transfer to a private party purchaser. Just saying ....
The above statement is incorrect. If the ELW has never been used, it is fullly refundable on a prorated basis. I have purchased 7/75 warranties on our last 4 purchases and 3 have been fullly refunded when we traded the vehicles in during the original (non-extended) warranty period. The fourth had a $3500 ELW repair on it in it's 6th year. BTW, the 7/75 warranty was less than half the cost of the repair it covered.

Hope this helps.
Bill
Old 05-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Mustang
Does every regular person can get 15% in bad years and 25% in good years from their investment? I am so afraid of financial market.