Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

EW, VSC & Prepaid Maintenance for a new 2023 E450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.mbusa.com/en/share/build/A3XMGY
EW, VSC & Prepaid Maintenance for a new 2023 E450

https://www.mbusa.com/en/share/build/A3XG2T

Hi all!

As part of preparing and exhausting my due diligence before taking delivery of my very first MB in November, I've amassed an ever-growing spreadsheet of all my concerns and rough calculations of short and long term 'cost of ownership'. As I plan to keep this car for the next 7-10 years ( estimated 3-4k miles annually) what remains to be calculated and considered are the decisions around EW, VSC & Prepaid Maintenance. And so far I've gathered the following - while I realize lot more options are out there, I've yet to discover:

Thoughts?

PE

2023 E450 4Matic Cabrio
Old 07-29-2023, 04:00 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 A220 2023 E450 Cabriolet
Check with Jeff Jackson on the cost of these. He was able to save us a considerable amount.

For me, it would only be the MB warranty. But that is just me.
The following users liked this post:
MyCabi2023 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 05:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 E450 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by sgawiser
Check with Jeff Jackson on the cost of these. He was able to save us a considerable amount.
Agree with checking with Jeff. He saved me a ton of money relative to the dealer quotes for both extended warranty and prepaid maintenance.
MyCabi2023 (08-11-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 10:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS 53
In your maintenance calc add in 2 brake fluid changes. Recommended every 2 years I believe. Covered under PPM, but not part of standard A or B service. I’ve found PPM worthwhile as a hedge on increasing labor costs. PPM of 4 visits will cover you for 4 years in your usage scenario and pay-as-you-go cost for A and B are likely to increase over that time (in my opinion).

Extended warranty answer needs more of a crystal ball and there are obviously different camps. Current vehicle is 2019 CLS53 and I opted for the ELW from MB. Main thought at purchase was that the 48V system and engine was newer and so a hedge against reliability issues on it. Vehicle also has air suspension and historically there seem to have been issues with that system generally, though it seems to have improved.

Here (Canada) we don’t see the same deals on ELW that are offered by some US dealers, but I know that here ELW can be purchased at any point prior to expiry of new vehicle warranty (whether time or distance expiry) so you don’t necessarily need to make that decision now. Anecdotally I’ve heard some dealers want to charge an inspection fee if ELW is purchased later though I think this is in cases where the vehicle has been serviced outside the MB network and they don’t have a complete maintenance history.

Anyway, for me, had a 2013 C350 with ELW and didn’t need it. Have a 2019 CLS53 with ELW and covered recent repair of a multi-contour seat. Cost for that repair would have probably been less than the ELW though. I agree with sgawiser above on MB only; I wouldn’t consider a third party for extended warranty, but that is just me.

Last edited by FrostedGlass; 08-14-2023 at 07:24 AM.
MyCabi2023 (08-14-2023)