Notices
Extended Warranty Discussions Discuss options and plans for extended warranty coverage.

First time buyer: New Warranty vs. CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2024, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220
First time buyer: New Warranty vs. CPO Warranty

I am looking at a 2021 A220 Certified Pre Owned. It has 1 full year warranty left on the New Vehicle plan. With it being CPO, the dealer has explained I am entitled to 1 more year after that. It is not the "New Vehicle" Warranty, but called something else. The dealer says it is the exact same, same coverage, etc. I can then choose to extend my warranty by 1 or 2 years after that (if the car is still in fine shape, serviced, etc.).

Does anyone know if the extra 1 year warranty after the New Vehicle Warranty is exactly the same?
Old 07-01-2024, 01:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts
2001 E55AMG
You are not eligible for the New Vehicle Warranty extension because you are not the original purchaser of the vehicle, your only option is to go CPO or a 3rd party extended warranty, from a provider like Fidelity, coverage and use at the Mercedes-Benz dealership is the same. How many miles are on your A220?

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
Old 07-01-2024, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A220
Thanks. Although I'm not sure I understand. I have met with the Sales Manager and Finance Mgr at the Mercedes dealership. They have shown me that if I purchase this CPO vehicle, I have the remainder of the original warranty that is still valid + 1 year for the CPO warranty. Are you saying that the original warranty is not valid if I were to purchase it?
Old 07-09-2024, 12:59 PM
SPONSOR

Received 250 Likes on 192 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by osubux1
Thanks. Although I'm not sure I understand. I have met with the Sales Manager and Finance Mgr at the Mercedes dealership. They have shown me that if I purchase this CPO vehicle, I have the remainder of the original warranty that is still valid + 1 year for the CPO warranty. Are you saying that the original warranty is not valid if I were to purchase it?
No, I'm saying your factory warranty coverage and CPO coverage are two different things. A true extension of the factory warranty is only eligible for those who purchase the vehicle brand new.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777
Old 08-06-2024, 11:26 AM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
If I can elaborate a bit more....

The OEM warranty is NOT the same as the CPO warranty. In fact, they don't even cover the same things (CPO covers A LOT, but not everything). For example; the hood struts on my CPO failed. That item isn't covered under CPO warranty. But if I was still under the OEM warranty, it would be covered.

Don't get me wrong; the CPO warranty is very helpful to have in my experience. But it has some exclusions (as compared to the OEM warranty), and is underwritten by a third party (vs OEM being underwritten by the manufacturer themselves).

Having said that, the biggest pro of the CPO warranty is the unlimited mileage. It truly is unlimited, within the warranty period (1 year automatically included, and can be extended for up to 2 additional years). So if you do a lot of driving like I do, CPO is the way to go. See here: https://mbworld.org/forums/extended-...ml#post8961044 and https://mbworld.org/forums/extended-...ml#post9012706, and make sure to get quotes from them first before you pay for a CPO from your local dealer, who typically will overcharge you by several *thousands* of dollars for additional CPO coverage.

If you plan on keeping the car for a longer period of time (not necessarily mileage), then Trent is your man for an aftermarket warranty.