G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G550 Wind noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 G550
G550 Wind noise

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I traded in my 2015 GL550 and picked up my 2015 G550 several days ago. It was always on my dream car list. Finally I got myself one of the G wagons.

Everything is perfect except two minor issues:

1) The left front side parking sensor sometimes went off when no sign of a close obstacle.

2) There is some light whizz/ wind noise, sounds like static noise, at around the driver side front left pillar area which I could not locate, when at highway speed of 50+ mph. It is not loud but it is noticeable.

I am ok with the issue #1 but the issue #2 bothers me. I know the G wagon is not aerodynamic style so any wind noises outside don't bother me. I tried close the left side vent, the hizz noise is still here. I also tried retract the driver side mirror to make sure that was not from the mirror.

I just wonder if there is anyone here has ever experienced same issue like mine? or it is just normal for a G wagon. The noise sounds like inside not outside.

Any input is greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Kevin
Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
2012 C63BS 2009 Ferrari 16M 2016 Cayenne turbo S 2019 G63
I have a 2014 G63.
Occasionally my front sensors go off without an obstacle. No big deal as long as it is only for a brief moment and just occasional.
The first night I drove my G i noticed that wind hiss. Like you retracted the mirror. no difference.
since then, I guess I'm indifferent to it, as its part of the lack of aero d in the car and apparently a lot of the charm.
enjoy your G
Old 08-24-2015, 10:11 PM

2015 G550
Originally Posted by RAKLAW
I have a 2014 G63.
Occasionally my front sensors go off without an obstacle. No big deal as long as it is only for a brief moment and just occasional.
The first night I drove my G i noticed that wind hiss. Like you retracted the mirror. no difference.
since then, I guess I'm indifferent to it, as its part of the lack of aero d in the car and apparently a lot of the charm.
enjoy your G

Thank you. Appreciate your time and inputs to my questions.

I do enjoy the G wagon. Hopefully some day Mercedes will bring back the large displacement naturally aspirated engines and continue the research to make them stronger and more economic. Before then I guess I will keep this one for quite a while.

I read the news that they are gonna give the G wagon a facelift for the 2017 model. I am thinking of the new G63 and I hope that by then they could eliminate the wind noise.

Thanks again. Have a good night.

Kevin
Old 08-25-2015, 01:50 AM

2003 G55 AMG
I know the hissing wind noise can be annoying, trust me, every gwagon I have had does it, the wind gets in between those doors very easily since the gap in between is larger than that of any ordinary car. However music is the best way to cancel that noise. and welcome to the gclass world.
Cheers!
Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Agreed! The wind noise is a small but definite part of these trucks. And they ARE trucks. not the "Luxury SUV" you were used to with your GL. As mentioned in the previous response, the body panel gaps are a big part of the wind noise. Keep in mind that the G is not even made by Mercedes (except for electronic, interior and basic drivetrain) and is still widely using the over-all design from the 70s, originally intended as a spartan vehicle with a small diesel engine.

I'm on my second G now and believe me, you will learn to absolutely love your G with all it's quirks, shakes, rattles and noises along side the feel-good over all experience of owning one.

Cheers and welcome to a new automotive dimension!
Old 08-25-2015, 03:41 PM

2015 G550
Originally Posted by victordakhteh
I know the hissing wind noise can be annoying, trust me, every gwagon I have had does it, the wind gets in between those doors very easily since the gap in between is larger than that of any ordinary car. However music is the best way to cancel that noise. and welcome to the gclass world.
Cheers!
Thank you. Music is a great idea. I'll upload some mp3 files to my phone so I can listen them on the road. The wind noise is not loud but certainly noticeable when at highway speed. I guess I will too learn to be indifferent to them.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:56 PM

2015 G550
Originally Posted by aerG500
Agreed! The wind noise is a small but definite part of these trucks. And they ARE trucks. not the "Luxury SUV" you were used to with your GL. As mentioned in the previous response, the body panel gaps are a big part of the wind noise. Keep in mind that the G is not even made by Mercedes (except for electronic, interior and basic drivetrain) and is still widely using the over-all design from the 70s, originally intended as a spartan vehicle with a small diesel engine.

I'm on my second G now and believe me, you will learn to absolutely love your G with all it's quirks, shakes, rattles and noises along side the feel-good over all experience of owning one.

Cheers and welcome to a new automotive dimension!

Actually during the past two months I traded in a 2015 Escalade for the 2015 GL550 finally settled down with the G550. I think I won't go back to the luxury SUVs, if the G550 won't be considered as a SUV. Thank you for comments. Hopefully it won't develop the quirks and rattles like some of the members here experienced.

Yes I do enjoy the ride. Somehow it reminds me of the days with my F350 which I owned for about 6 months, rough ride, loud engine and vibs.

I read the news that the new G wagon will be about 100mm wider than the current version. Mercedes will do some remodeling on the G wagon. I hope the body shape won't change much.

Trending Topics

Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 AM

2003 G55 AMG
Oh yes on the highway it is for sure noticeable and even more when it is windy, but you will get used to it in no time. The rattling you may not get around to experiencing because I believe newer models have been equipped what they call "silent striker bolts" when you shut your door, the older models don't have them so those are usually the people with the complaints. The new ones have this heavy duty plastic around it whereas the old ones are just bare metal. Sorry for my rambling, just familiarizing you with your new toy, I've seen many people buy there gwagons thinking the comfort is one with a range rover for instance but its totally the opposite.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:11 PM

2015 G550
Originally Posted by victordakhteh
Oh yes on the highway it is for sure noticeable and even more when it is windy, but you will get used to it in no time. The rattling you may not get around to experiencing because I believe newer models have been equipped what they call "silent striker bolts" when you shut your door, the older models don't have them so those are usually the people with the complaints. The new ones have this heavy duty plastic around it whereas the old ones are just bare metal. Sorry for my rambling, just familiarizing you with your new toy, I've seen many people buy there gwagons thinking the comfort is one with a range rover for instance but its totally the opposite.
I drove it to NYC over the weekend and yes the ride is on the opposite side comparing to the Escalade. I used to drive F350 so it is fine with me. The wind hiss from somewhere of the drive side front pillar was not that bad. I also noticed that when the speed over 75mph I can hear some hiss noise from the passenger side, not loud but certainly noticeable. I guess it is what it is, the square shape of the vehicle won't be totally wind noise proof.

The wind noise outside the vehicle is louder than the hiss noise from inside. The shape of G wagon generate a lot of wind noise. I am ok with anything from outside. I cover the hiss when at highway speed by turn on the music.

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:50 PM

2014 G550
G550 Rattling Noise

Any advice on reducing loud rattling noise from door lock areas? Seems to be the loudest between 10-30 mph city driving.

Originally Posted by KVKV
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I traded in my 2015 GL550 and picked up my 2015 G550 several days ago. It was always on my dream car list. Finally I got myself one of the G wagons.

Everything is perfect except two minor issues:

1) The left front side parking sensor sometimes went off when no sign of a close obstacle.

2) There is some light whizz/ wind noise, sounds like static noise, at around the driver side front left pillar area which I could not locate, when at highway speed of 50+ mph. It is not loud but it is noticeable.

I am ok with the issue #1 but the issue #2 bothers me. I know the G wagon is not aerodynamic style so any wind noises outside don't bother me. I tried close the left side vent, the hizz noise is still here. I also tried retract the driver side mirror to make sure that was not from the mirror.

I just wonder if there is anyone here has ever experienced same issue like mine? or it is just normal for a G wagon. The noise sounds like inside not outside.

Any input is greatly appreciate. Thank you.

Kevin