G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2003 G55 AMG; anyone else ever had this issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 G55 AMG
Originally Posted by mo-shy
This pdf has all the W463 components location. Since you have checked the left of dash board fuse with no luck. I would suggest that try to check the fan aux relay behind the center console. that I sent you the location above.
I will, I pulled the new relays out of the misplaced section I stuck them in and put the old ones back, going to wait till tomorrow to work on it again when switch the new relays to the actually aux fan relay section, assuming my relays are still good, crossing my fingers
Old 09-22-2015, 06:51 PM

2003 G55 AMG
Alright heres the update, everything is in the right spot now, but still no working aux fan
Old 09-23-2015, 12:55 AM

08 s class
I'm sorry for hearing that. Did you make sure that the fan fuses are working?

I think the other thing that could be the problem is the fan control module. So I am not sure what is your option right now.

For me I will try to do the same thing that you have done (checked the Fuse box and relay). If this did not solve the problem I think I will take it to the MB expert who said I need to replace the AC compressor and the fan will work again. He was very confident about that and he is an MB expert so

Last edited by mo-shy; 09-23-2015 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:23 AM

08 s class
Hey,

Is there any update? would you check this part "Radiator Fan Temperature Switch" I remembered that the MB guy told me to bring this one as well! so it worth to try.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G55k
Originally Posted by victordakhteh
Alright heres the update, everything is in the right spot now, but still no working aux fan

One last thing to mention about this issue is, have you checked your R134 levels? From what I understand the refrigerant level plays an important role in activating the temperature/pressure switch for the AC which activates the Aux Fans. Not enough refrigerant pressure won't activate the switch not causing the fans to turn on.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:02 AM

08 s class
Originally Posted by BonitaBeast
One last thing to mention about this issue is, have you checked your R134 levels? From what I understand the refrigerant level plays an important role in activating the temperature/pressure switch for the AC which activates the Aux Fans. Not enough refrigerant pressure won't activate the switch not causing the fans to turn on.
This is interested because the MB expert told me the issue is from the AC compressor then he need to charge the AC and the fan should work!
Old 09-26-2015, 04:00 AM

2008 G55k
Originally Posted by mo-shy
This is interested because the MB expert told me the issue is from the AC compressor then he need to charge the AC and the fan should work!

That's correct. After many years, the refrigerant level goes down and needs to be recharged/refilled. This activates the switch for Airconditioning.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:05 AM

2003 G55 AMG
Yeah I recharged it and me and my uncle checked the pressure and it passes the point at which it should engage but nothing happened. I am going to try another private mercedes benz expert, they only charge 60 bucks to diagnose and perfect 5 star rating, can't hurt.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:55 PM

08 s class
Is there any update? hopefully you solved the problem.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:00 AM

2003 G55 AMG
Hey there,

Update, I took the car to another private Mercedes Benz Master Tech. Mechanic and re did the freon and the fan works again. I am guessing my uncle probably did a ****ty refill, but at least that is done. So I guess lesson here is that fan and freon level is direct link.

I want to thank you guys for all your help thus far. Look forward to chatting with y'all again.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:58 PM

2008 G55k
Great to hear it's been resolved. COOL travels!

Originally Posted by victordakhteh
Hey there,

Update, I took the car to another private Mercedes Benz Master Tech. Mechanic and re did the freon and the fan works again. I am guessing my uncle probably did a ****ty refill, but at least that is done. So I guess lesson here is that fan and freon level is direct link.

I want to thank you guys for all your help thus far. Look forward to chatting with y'all again.
Old 06-05-2021, 01:02 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz W 463 G 500
Fuse box wiring

When you said you put power directly to the fans and they worked, where exactly did you hook up the power to the fans?

There is a fuse box located on the very left side of the dash to the left of the steering column. It is accessed by opening the drivers side (left) door and you will see a little panel that can be removed. I believe the fuses for the aux fans are letters H and G in the picture below. My fuses came loose over the years and caused electric arcs and melted my fuse box. My fuses also blew. One day my aux fans just didn't work. I didn't overheat. My coolant temps didn't go crazy, but I just noticed the fans stopped coming on. Lucky I noticed it the same day it happened.

I replaced the fuse box and the fuses and all is now perfect.
bro hope u r ok
Can you send me a pic showing wire color to each fuse .. as i have a huge problem with mine.. thanks alot