G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

GeeWagoon build new wheels and off road tires

Old 06-19-2017, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 G55
Images

Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM

2005 G55
Those are not my images. But that is what you would see on driver side. May only apply to G55
Old 06-19-2017, 12:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
G550
Wow, ok. I didn't notice that, but my headlights came out just fine. Are you installing some new headlight mounting bracket? I don't see how the existing won't fit back in.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

2005 G55
Originally Posted by Caskieatl
Wow, ok. I didn't notice that, but my headlights came out just fine. Are you installing some new headlight mounting bracket? I don't see how the existing won't fit back in.
No. These are new lights. the upgraded lights for G63. they are slightly longer than the stock G55 headlights. This is a common upgrade that i why i am wishing someone will share how they got around this pump
Old 07-31-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 G55
Originally Posted by lorange
I am doing the headlight, DRL and bumper facelift for my 2005 G55

I need help guys

Where do you relocate pump to. unable to insert driver side headlight unless pump is relocated. please share pic of your experience if possible

DRL - where did you get power for DRL

New bumper - What did you do with FOG light. If removed does it trigger errors ? Where did you put cables ? Is it possible to use old Fog light connection to power DRL ?

Any and all help appreciated
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response, but here is what i did.

- Pump relocation: I tried desperately to find a way to delete the pump as its really just an emissions thing and ran my truck without it for about 6 months. I got a CEL light of course. A tuner that works on E55's said they remove them all the time, but couldn't get anyone to provide the proper CPU mod to get my CEL light off.

SOOOO I relocated my evap pump to the engine bay and mounted it to driver side fender well. Pain in the *** because I had to have a bracket made, but it worked.

DRL Power: I got power from the juncture box on the driver side firewall. It was very easy since the plastic box pops right off and there is a stud with a few wiring harnesses there that provides power when the key is on. Even has a delay when you lock the car they stay on for a second.

Old fog lamps: Yes you get errors on the dash if you just remove them. I bought some ebay resistors and wired them as a closed circuit. The CPU checks for resistance so this took care of the problem.

Since we are on the subject I do still have 2 problems with my updated mirrors.

1. Dash light for mirror signal. Computer thinks something is wrong because the LED signals draw much less resistance. I probably need to install resistors into the wiring harness of the mirror to fix this. They should come pre-setup like the aftermarket LED tail lights do, but unfortunately they don't.

2. My G had manually folding mirrors, but the new ones are electronic so i can't fold them. My G doesn't have the control for it, but it is a option on some. I guess i need to find a switch off a vehicle with folding mirrors to get that wired up.

All in all I'm very happy with the aesthetics of the facelift, but be prepared for several little annoying things you'll need to deal with.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:20 PM

2006 G55
Originally Posted by MR-H
Looks good. You really freshen up the look. How much did it run you? Like new style bumper etc?
I don't remember the exact cost, but about 2-3k in parts and 2-3k in paint and body labor.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:22 PM

2006 G55
Originally Posted by Caskieatl
The pump relocation is only needed on the G55. The G500 fits with no issues.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 159 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Thank you for all the info, very helpful.

Can you please tell me exactly which junction box you are talking about that you wired the DRL to.

Also, do you have eBay link you can post for the resistors you used on foglight wires?

Thank you

Originally Posted by GEEWAGOON
Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response, but here is what i did.

- Pump relocation: I tried desperately to find a way to delete the pump as its really just an emissions thing and ran my truck without it for about 6 months. I got a CEL light of course. A tuner that works on E55's said they remove them all the time, but couldn't get anyone to provide the proper CPU mod to get my CEL light off.

SOOOO I relocated my evap pump to the engine bay and mounted it to driver side fender well. Pain in the *** because I had to have a bracket made, but it worked.

DRL Power: I got power from the juncture box on the driver side firewall. It was very easy since the plastic box pops right off and there is a stud with a few wiring harnesses there that provides power when the key is on. Even has a delay when you lock the car they stay on for a second.

Old fog lamps: Yes you get errors on the dash if you just remove them. I bought some ebay resistors and wired them as a closed circuit. The CPU checks for resistance so this took care of the problem.

Since we are on the subject I do still have 2 problems with my updated mirrors.

1. Dash light for mirror signal. Computer thinks something is wrong because the LED signals draw much less resistance. I probably need to install resistors into the wiring harness of the mirror to fix this. They should come pre-setup like the aftermarket LED tail lights do, but unfortunately they don't.

2. My G had manually folding mirrors, but the new ones are electronic so i can't fold them. My G doesn't have the control for it, but it is a option on some. I guess i need to find a switch off a vehicle with folding mirrors to get that wired up.

All in all I'm very happy with the aesthetics of the facelift, but be prepared for several little annoying things you'll need to deal with.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
W463 G500, W463 G55, W222 S550, F10 M5, RR VOGUE, R107 560SL, VANTAGE, F430, 911
Originally Posted by Kobzarhomes

Can you please tell me exactly which junction box you are talking about that you wired the DRL to.

Also, do you have eBay link you can post for the resistors you used on foglight wires?

Thank you

KB, there is a great tutorial here, http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/for...070&mid=225915 with pics for the LED DRL

As far as resistors, I used these ones
Amazon Amazon

** you want to make sure you're wiring it properly as the LED dims when the lights are on, and is very bright during the day (DRL mode). **

TO ANSWER ALL in regards to the LED side mirrors and the error.

You must install the resistor into the LED Side mirror wiring harness, that's the only way to prevent the error. I did it a year ago, no issues as of yet.

A fair warning, these resistors get extremely hot, hot enough to melt wires. For the side mirrors, I just mounted them somewhere (can't remember), but I wasn't too concerned about the heat as they only heat up when the light is actually on (blinking).

For the fogs, all should make sure you're mounting them against metal, or you let them float. Don't zip tie them to other wires.

Finally, KB, would you consider taking a picture of the inside of your driver side window switch and one passenger side? So we can see what resistors the Russian installed? Resistors are either color coded, or they are stamped with the OHM rating. I would really love to get this done without having to ship the switches to russian and pay nearly $800. I would be willing to paypal you some compensation. You're not risking anything by removing the screws and pulling off the plate so we can see the circuit board - but if you don't feel comfortable, I understand. If you do, I can replace it and post a schematic or a step by step for anybody in the future.

That will help us all fix the mirror folding switch as well as those who want to facelift their interior such as you and I are currently doing. I actually converted a passenger switch, but it was very messy (hardware swap, not a resistance change as the russians do). I would prefer to do it they way they do it without having to send them out.

Last edited by gurukid; 08-02-2017 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:25 PM

2006 G55

Thank you
Here are a few photos of the place i got power from. Super easy to access and wire and already has a bolt that you can just attach your hot lead to.

I read the article mentioned above when i did mine. I choose a different route, but it had some good information.

Plastic lid hinges and the entire plastic covering pops right off.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM

2006 G55

Thank you
Here is a link to where I got my resistors. They are pretty common and the same specs as the Amazon link above. Amazon is cheaper too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8x-50W-6-ohm...k/282127243769

Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2017, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 159 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
Got it. 👍
Thank you both for providing the info.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:56 PM

G55
hey newbie to the g55 family, just bought the front converstion, had a question, any update pic's with the
- G63 brush guard install powder coat
- Powder coat side steps

thanks
jay

Last edited by Rdrage; 08-19-2017 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 PM

2006 G55
@Rdrage - welcome to the family!

I have my brush guard on now and I can post some pics. I haven't gotten it powder coated them yet as i have been leaning toward keeping it chrome. Something about the silver/chrome that i like.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:26 PM

2006 G55
Got some news about other fixes i finally finished.

Complete:
- Fix CEL due to temporary removal of auxilary smog pump for headlight clearance - fixed built a bracket and installed in the engine bay. I'll post a pic soon.
- Fix fog lamp error message from fog lamp delete - installed resistors
- Fix mirror signal error from aftermarket mirros assembly - installed resisitors
- G63 brush guard install powder coat - installed
- Fix broken door actuator - tapped actuator with the back on my screw driver and it started working again! I guess i got lucky, but for how long
- Fix *** cup holder again - replaced!

New Projects/Wish List
- Powder coat side steps
- powder coast tail guards and signal guards
- Wheel Spacers
- Carbon fenders
- Spare Tire Delete
- Hitch with Yeti cooler rack
- redo headliner
Old 12-20-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
21 G63, 21 GLS580, 16 GTS Ed. 1
Great build thread, I am going to use this as reference for my build too.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 C55 & 03 G500
Great job on your G!

Currently working on mine and recently added some off road rims and tires, I'll post a pic soon. Off topic question, where do you take your car for service and repairs? I'm in the Dallas area as well and looking for other options outside the stealership and Autoscope...

Have you taken that bad boy to Cars and Coffee? I saw there's a thread of a couple guys that want to get an AMG/Benz group started for this upcoming one in March..
Old 02-10-2018, 01:34 AM

Any write up on how to relocate smog pump? Pictures would help too. I'm dropping my truck off Monday to have the facelift done and doubt they will know about the smog pump since I have a g55 too.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Another question, where did you guys buy the new g63 grill emblem? My grill didn't come with the mercedes emblem.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:49 PM

2006 G55

Just added H&R Wheel Spacers to the truck and it makes a huge difference if you are running stock MB or MB replica wheels. Man i wish i would have done this when i first got my wheels. Well worth it to put this on your build list.

I got mine from Viking Off Road.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:52 PM

2006 G55
Here are some photos of the truck flexing the suspension a bit.

Old 05-24-2018, 03:54 PM

2006 G55
Love this photo next to a stock G. It looks tiny, let this be motivation to get your lift and tires going ASAP!

Old 05-24-2018, 03:55 PM

2006 G55
Originally Posted by Tonymeza55
Great job on your G!

Currently working on mine and recently added some off road rims and tires, I'll post a pic soon. Off topic question, where do you take your car for service and repairs? I'm in the Dallas area as well and looking for other options outside the stealership and Autoscope...

Have you taken that bad boy to Cars and Coffee? I saw there's a thread of a couple guys that want to get an AMG/Benz group started for this upcoming one in March..
I haven't been to C&C since I sold my GTR, but I'd be up to go with some a group of G's. Let me know.
Old 05-24-2018, 03:57 PM

2006 G55
Originally Posted by Venom-AMG
Another question, where did you guys buy the new g63 grill emblem? My grill didn't come with the mercedes emblem.
My emblem came with the grille. I would reach out to the vendor that supplied it as it should be included.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM

2006 G55
Originally Posted by Venom-AMG
Any write up on how to relocate smog pump? Pictures would help too. I'm dropping my truck off Monday to have the facelift done and doubt they will know about the smog pump since I have a g55 too.
The smog pump was the hardest part for me. Not that its complicated to relocate, but you'll need someone to fabricate a bracket for you to relocate it. My fabricator cut my OEM bracket up and fabricated a new mounting location. I don't have time at the moment for a full write up, but you can email or call me for details.

here is summary.
1. Remove pump from inside the drivers fender well so your new projector headlights will fit. Need to fender remove liner. The bracket has a few bolts holding it around the intake exit hole from the engine bay. There is an electric connector to the pump and a vacuum hose. (note: removing the pump wont affect drive ability, but will trigger a CEL.)
2. Fabricate the bracket
3. mount bracket and smog pump inside the engine bay on drivers side. There are 2 existing holes I used so no drilling. My bracket was made to mount to these existing holes.
4. Reroute wiring harness to your desired location. Need to unwind wiring harness that runs along the fender well and separate these wires from the others. wrap the others back up and get a separate wrap for the pump wiring. there is enough wire to reroute easily.
5. Reroute pump hose. I think there was enough hose for relocation, but i just picked up a new hose.
(here are a few after photos, please excuse my dirty engine bay)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GeeWagoon build new wheels and off road tires