G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Anyone in the US have a G550 4x4 on order?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 (on order)
Originally Posted by JFK-CDG
$50K over MSRP is a joke.

There are a lot on Autoloader and eBay and they're going for list. They don't command any sort of premium. And I wonder why anyone would blow $250k+ on this when the all new G-Wagon (and a 4x4 2 variant) will be out this year.
I actually spoke with Mercedes USA corporate about the 2018 model year G550 because I was being told conflicting details about orders from 2 different dealers. The 2018 model year G550 will be the same as the 2017 model year G550. The 2019 model year G550 will be getting a refresh. So in reality its probably a little over a year before the redesigned G Wagon makes its debut.
The following users liked this post:
pdeacon (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
I actually spoke with Mercedes USA corporate about the 2018 model year G550 because I was being told conflicting details about orders from 2 different dealers. The 2018 model year G550 will be the same as the 2017 model year G550. The 2019 model year G550 will be getting a refresh. So in reality its probably a little over a year before the redesigned G Wagon makes its debut.

Does this include the G63 as well? I was told 2017 was last model for the old school version with MY18 the revamp, but I haven't checked for a while. Does this mean they will be selling the G550 4x4 as a MY18, too?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw m3
This matches what I've heard too. I was thinking about waiting until the revamped model was introduced, but in my estimation that's a little way out. I think Mercedes Benz will unveil the new model as the 40th anniversary edition, similar to how there was a major revamp for the 10th anniversary. The first look will be at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, and the car will be for sale in the latter half of 2018 as a MY2019.

I would also speculate that the 4x4^2 and AMG models won't be introduced at first, if ever. So a new body type AMG is probably not available for sale until 2019 or later, and I'd wager they make another 4x4^2 only if the sales for the current model exceed all expectations. The landaulet and all the rest are the swan song for the W463 body type.

Maybe we should start a new thread about the new G class, and rumor monger about the possible changes?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:27 AM

Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Good information. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-14-2017, 01:57 PM

2017 G550 (on order)
I didn't ask about the AMG models, sorry. My wife wouldn't spring for the extra $20k for the G63, particularly because she didn't want me driving it fast all the time like I did with my M3. I can't complain because I'm sure I'll be adding another sports car to the garage in a few years.

Anyhow, I got 3 different answers from 4 different dealers who were all sure that they had the right answer. Since all the answers were going to affect cost, and I specifically did not want an updated G550, I called Mercedes USA to keep from making an expensive mistake. They really didn't have an answer at first, but I was nice to the customer service rep and explained my concerns, and my displeasure with the differing answers from different dealers in an attempt to earn a sale, so he did some research for me. It took him a few days to get back to me but when he did he had the correct information. In the time since, I found out that I will be going to Budapest for work for a little over a week at the end of May, so when he called back I asked about setting up a tour in Graz. He just got back to me about that yesterday and explained that Mercedes wasn't going to be offering their tours the same as they have been the last couple of years. Part of the reason for this was because they are making changes to accommodate model changes for the 2019 model year. So I feel pretty confident that 2019 will be the new G Wagon. Also he did recommend a couple of G Wagon owners groups that have separate arrangements with Magna Steyr that might be able to help me with a tour.

So that's all I know, hopefully it's helpful. Thanks!
pdeacon (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 02:07 PM

I didn't ask about the AMG models, sorry. My wife wouldn't spring for the extra $20k for the G63, particularly because she didn't want me driving it fast all the time like I did with my M3. I can't complain because I'm sure I'll be adding another sports car to the garage in a few years.

Anyhow, I got 3 different answers from 4 different dealers who were all sure that they had the right answer. Since all the answers were going to affect cost, and I specifically did not want an updated G550, I called Mercedes USA to keep from making an expensive mistake. They really didn't have an answer at first, but I was nice to the customer service rep and explained my concerns, and my displeasure with the differing answers from different dealers in an attempt to earn a sale, so he did some research for me. It took him a few days to get back to me but when he did he had the correct information. In the time since, I found out that I will be going to Budapest for work for a little over a week at the end of May, so when he called back I asked about setting up a tour in Graz. He just got back to me about that yesterday and explained that Mercedes wasn't going to be offering their tours the same as they have been the last couple of years. Part of the reason for this was because they are making changes to accommodate model changes for the 2019 model year. So I feel pretty confident that 2019 will be the new G Wagon. Also he did recommend a couple of G Wagon owners groups that have separate arrangements with Magna Steyr that might be able to help me with a tour.

This projected time line for production works great for me. My lease on my '16 will be coming due just in time for the model change. Great research...I admire your tenacity. It is difficult getting information out of the manufacturer. They almost always refer you back to the dealer network.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Too Many To List
Doug DeMuro just did a review and it's great. Don't break the carbon fiber fenders!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:55 PM

I did see that piece.I thought he did a good job coming to grips with the realities of this thing.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:20 PM

2017 G550 (on order)
Originally Posted by pdeacon
This projected time line for production works great for me. My lease on my '16 will be coming due just in time for the model change. Great research...I admire your tenacity. It is difficult getting information out of the manufacturer. They almost always refer you back to the dealer network.
Is there a particular thing you aren't pleased with on your current G that makes you want the redesigned model, or just looking to have the newest edition? Part of what attracted me to the G Wagon was just how long it's been around and how thoroughly they've been able to sort things out because of that. The biggest selling feature to me was how even a well taken care of older G Wagon still looks new and current, and the prototypes that have been seen around still look very similar which to me is a plus. I suppose I'll still be cool with the new G if it looks nearly the same, still has a body on frame design with some newer technology stuff. I can even live with independent suspension and Range Rover style traction control wizardry as long as it retains the 3 locking differentials and a transfer case with a selectable low range. A departure from the 3 locking differentials and body on frame design would be a deal killer for me personally though.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM

The most significant thing I'm not pleased with is the suspension. I know this is a truck with an antiquated body on frame configuration. But I'm OK with that. I would be very happy if the G remained exactly the same but had an independent suspension system. I don't think MB will risk altering the appearance in any significant way. Too risky from a marketing point of view. If, for instance, they gave it a more rounded design like the GLS it would become just another luxury SUV. I just wish it rode better and handled better. As I have said before on this forum; I have other vehicles in my garage to choose from but I end up driving the G more than any of the others.
Lt CHEG (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 08:12 PM

2017 G550 (on order)
Originally Posted by pdeacon
The most significant thing I'm not pleased with is the suspension. I know this is a truck with an antiquated body on frame configuration. But I'm OK with that. I would be very happy if the G remained exactly the same but had an independent suspension system. I don't think MB will risk altering the appearance in any significant way. Too risky from a marketing point of view. If, for instance, they gave it a more rounded design like the GLS it would become just another luxury SUV. I just wish it rode better and handled better. As I have said before on this forum; I have other vehicles in my garage to choose from but I end up driving the G more than any of the others.
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. This is not only going to be my first G, but also my first Mercedes so I'm always looking for information on things I'm not as familiar with. I live east of Albany, NY so I'm not too far away from Cape Cod. I actually go to Springfield, MA a lot for their woodcraft store (it's the closest to me). I try to keep my eyes open for cars and coffee type events in MA when I know I'm going to Woodcraft. Plus my wife and I sometimes take my mother to Cape Cod for short mini vacations. Maybe I'll see you at an event in MA some time.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. This is not only going to be my first G, but also my first Mercedes so I'm always looking for information on things I'm not as familiar with. I live east of Albany, NY so I'm not too far away from Cape Cod. I actually go to Springfield, MA a lot for their woodcraft store (it's the closest to me). I try to keep my eyes open for cars and coffee type events in MA when I know I'm going to Woodcraft. Plus my wife and I sometimes take my mother to Cape Cod for short mini vacations. Maybe I'll see you at an event in MA some time.
It would be a bit of a haul for you (though nowhere near as far as driving to Cape Cod), but Mercedes Benz of Burlington has one of those events on May 21st.

Have you had a chance to test drive a G class? If not, I'd suggest you do so before committing to a purchase and take both on back roads and the highway. If possible, drive both a G550 and a G63 as the G63 isn't just a G550 with more horsepower. The suspensions are tuned very differently. It should also be noted that the G is quite a bit different from any other Mercedes, so even if this weren't your first Mercedes, it would be like driving something very different other than the navigation and heating controls being pretty much the same.

Last edited by greynlds; 04-14-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
16 F12tdf, 15 range rover sc.
Is there a particular thing you aren't pleased with on your current G that makes you want the redesigned model, or just looking to have the newest edition? Part of what attracted me to the G Wagon was just how long it's been around and how thoroughly they've been able to sort things out because of that. The biggest selling feature to me was how even a well taken care of older G Wagon still looks new and current, and the prototypes that have been seen around still look very similar which to me is a plus. I suppose I'll still be cool with the new G if it looks nearly the same, still has a body on frame design with some newer technology stuff. I can even live with independent suspension and Range Rover style traction control wizardry as long as it retains the 3 locking differentials and a transfer case with a selectable low range. A departure from the 3 locking differentials and body on frame design would be a deal killer for me personally though.
The new G will be completely redesigned but it will retain the same look. It's being widened (by four inches), will be shorter, will shed 900 pounds, will have an independent suspension and will have a new interior.

And yes, there will be a G550 4X4 2 and apparently a pickup truck type model and a long-wheelbase model as well.

Last edited by JFK-CDG; 04-14-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 PM

2017 G550 (on order)
Originally Posted by greynlds
It would be a bit of a haul for you (though nowhere near as far as driving to Cape Cod), but Mercedes Benz of Burlington has one of those events on May 21st.

Have you had a chance to test drive a G class? If not, I'd suggest you do so before committing to a purchase and take both on back roads and the highway. If possible, drive both a G550 and a G63 as the G63 isn't just a G550 with more horsepower. The suspensions are tuned very differently. It should also be noted that the G is quite a bit different from any other Mercedes, so even if this weren't your first Mercedes, it would be like driving something very different other than the navigation and heating controls being pretty much the same.
My wife's parents actually live just about 45 minutes west of Burlington near Plattsburgh, NY so maybe we can combine a trip to visit them with an event in Burlington?

I actually have test driven the G550 as has my wife. I've driven about 3 or 4 of them, although admittedly I haven't driven a G63. We've looked at the G63 and the wife just didn't like it enough to warrant spending the extra money. She also doesn't like the idea of driving around with over 550 horsepower or more specifically me driving her around with that much power as she just knows that I'll drive it like a maniac, which I would. Honestly, I've always been more of a truck guy and my wife has only owned one non Honda CRV vehicle, so the G550 really does suit us. For the sporty driving needs I think I'll add a 911 in a few years. I really have fallen in love with the G550 and can't wait until mine is built.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:18 AM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
My wife's parents actually live just about 45 minutes west of Burlington near Plattsburgh, NY so maybe we can combine a trip to visit them with an event in Burlington?
I was talking about Burlington, MA, not Burlington, VT.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades

LT Cheg,

Did you reached out to the owner groups in Europe? Any further detail on the redesign release date?

Assuming the production switch is in mid 2017; then the new 2019 will be build in late 2017 and sold in the US market as as MY2019 from early 2018 onward. This was how I Remembered the CLS MY2006 launch back at the beginning of 2005. Also the US rule that allows manufacturers to sell a new MY vehicle from Jan of the previous year.

I have a G63 on order; dealer said about 4-5 months Hiwever, I am contemplating about holding off for the new G464.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Hi again everyone.

After numerous PM regarding the New Model, I figured it would be best to write a quick post:

My insider says that the W464 will be a MY 2019, unveiled either late this year, or early next year. New MY G Wagons tend to come out in September/October, so MY 2018 should be able to be Spec'd Out in the coming months.

In regards to the 4x4, I was informed early on that it would be just 1 MY Run, and it would be extremely limited. My original projection was a total of around 200 would be produced, however that has been exceeded so far (300+). I don't think it there will be a 2018 4x4, however you never know.

As with most New Special Edition MB Models, they are a high commodity item when they are first released, then they tend to lose interest after a few months, so I hope MB doesn't produce the 4x4 for 2018 MY.

And yes, there will be a G550 4X4 2 and apparently a pickup truck type model and a long-wheelbase model as well.

This looks like it is the G650 Maybach Landaulet...
loggerbud (04-19-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:33 PM

2011 E550 , 2006 G500
The new G will be completely redesigned but it will retain the same look. It's being widened (by four inches), will be shorter, will shed 900 pounds, will have an independent suspension and will have a new interior.
Well thats terrible news. I guess after 2018 Ill be shopping for Wranglers.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
2013 S550 SOLD / 2016 S63 SOLD / 2017 GLS450 / 2017 G550 4x4 / 2019 G63 E1 SOLD / 2019 S63 COUPE
Just wondering if there's a module or a way to lower it and raising to the regular height?
it's 3 inches off to fit in my garage!
Mike@Vossen (05-09-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 79 Likes on 77 Posts
AMG
Exclamation

Originally Posted by efathalla
Just wondering if there's a module or a way to lower it and raising to the regular height?
it's 3 inches off to fit in my garage!
We had the same issue, valet doesn't want to deal with it..

Old 05-28-2017, 01:29 AM

2013 S550 SOLD / 2016 S63 SOLD / 2017 GLS450 / 2017 G550 4x4 / 2019 G63 E1 SOLD / 2019 S63 COUPE
What color and how much?

Originally Posted by Emarro
I have a g550 4x4 available for immediate delivery if anyone is interested
Old 06-04-2017, 11:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Too many
I have one being built next week, arrival probably end of july,
Designo graphite metallic
designs black nappa leather with white top stitching
if interested , pm me
Old 08-05-2017, 12:16 AM

I'm wondering if MB made a good decision selling the G Wagen in the US Market or not.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
6x6 | 4x4
Originally Posted by efathalla
I'm wondering if MB made a good decision selling the G Wagen in the US Market or not.
Lol, why do you say that?

North America is by far the biggest market for the G Wagon in the entire world. Over half of the total sales world wide are in the US alone.

The only thing that I personally think MBUSA got wrong was the low MSRP for the 4x4. I think they wanted to keep it less expensive than the G65, however they should have had the MSRP at $275k.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:09 PM

Received 247 Likes on 149 Posts
2018 E400W4 EU Delivery 1999 E320 2022 E53 COUPE
Originally Posted by NYCBenz
Lol, why do you say that?

North America is by far the biggest market for the G Wagon in the entire world. Over half of the total sales world wide are in the US alone.

The only thing that I personally think MBUSA got wrong was the low MSRP for the 4x4. I think they wanted to keep it less expensive than the G65, however they should have had the MSRP at $275k.

Non official the majority of 4*4 sold for about $270K

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.