G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

'18/'19 G-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 G500
'18/'19 G-Class

I have not seen anyting/much on here regarding the inboud G-Wagen. I hear it's 10cm wider, redesigned (E-class??) interior, and IFS

anyone following this or have more informatio more?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Yes, it is wider, 500 lbs. lighter with an independent suspension and an upgraded dash and interior. It will still look like a traditional G Wagon. The independent suspension is the real big step forward. The 500 pound weight loss doesn't hurt either. I could care less about the dash upgrade. Kinda like mine the way it is.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 242 Likes on 160 Posts
2011 Mercedes E550 Sport
From what I have seen, its independent suspension only in the front. Rear will still have a solid axle.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Mercedes G63
Originally Posted by GKID
I have not seen anyting/much on here regarding the inboud G-Wagen. I hear it's 10cm wider, redesigned (E-class??) interior, and IFS

anyone following this or have more informatio more?

I just ordered my 17 a couple weeks ago. And I was wanting to find out for sure before I ordered it, would the next year be the new model. The Mercedes rep was called and he said no changes.

Than he was actually in the store and I ran into him and asked him personally. Wanting to hear it from himself. He said while there are photos, spy shots, and such. That it would be the same for a while and there wasn't going to be any changes.

I could care less either way now. I would just like to know if it will or won't happen in 18 or 19. If they go to an independent front suspension and make the interior with more glass screen stuff. Maybe I would like it worse lol
Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 AM

2016 G500
Originally Posted by Kobzarhomes
From what I have seen, its independent suspension only in the front. Rear will still have a solid axle.
Correct, per my OP, it's IFS not IS...
Old 05-05-2017, 12:06 AM

2016 G500
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer
I just ordered my 17 a couple weeks ago. And I was wanting to find out for sure before I ordered it, would the next year be the new model. The Mercedes rep was called and he said no changes.

Than he was actually in the store and I ran into him and asked him personally. Wanting to hear it from himself. He said while there are photos, spy shots, and such. That it would be the same for a while and there wasn't going to be any changes.

I could care less either way now. I would just like to know if it will or won't happen in 18 or 19. If they go to an independent front suspension and make the interior with more glass screen stuff. Maybe I would like it worse lol
I went through the exact same issue last year when ordering the G500 knowing that 2H 2017 the new G would be released for 2018 production.....i justiifed purchase by telling myself i will keep both when the new one is actually available....... 1st world issues continue....
Old 05-05-2017, 12:38 AM

Mercedes G63
I went through the exact same issue last year when ordering the G500 knowing that 2H 2017 the new G would be released for 2018 production.....i justiifed purchase by telling myself i will keep both when the new one is actually available....... 1st world issues continue....
Exactly. If it comes out fine. I am sure die hard fans will maybe still want the old model for a while. There probably will be fans of both. Not worried at all either way. A G is a good thing. No matter!
Old 05-05-2017, 01:57 AM

2016 G500
Exactly. If it comes out fine. I am sure die hard fans will maybe still want the old model for a while. There probably will be fans of both. Not worried at all either way. A G is a good thing. No matter!
it will come, and to be honest, it needs the IFS badly.....that's the only edge my Toyota LC 5.7L holds over the G......in saying that, the 10cm width is nice, but not a purchase-stopper for me, however combined with IFS, you will now see a much much better cornering and agile (on-road) machine......

regardless, looking forward to seeing and subsequently owning one ASAP....LOL

Last edited by GKID; 05-05-2017 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:18 AM

Mercedes G63
it will come, and to be honest, it needs the IFS badly.....that's the only edge my Toyota LC 5.7L holds over the G......in saying that, the 10cm width is nice, but not a purchase-stopper for me, however combined with IFS, you will now see a much much better cornering and agile (on-road) machine......

regardless, looking forward to seeing and subsequently owning one ASAP....LOL
I actually like the rawness of the way it handles, but I would like to see a better cornering machine. After they get the bugs worked out on the new model. It may be time to trade. If there are even any bugs lol.

I will say if they do a lot of glass panels and stuff where you have to access things through the screen, I may keep mine longer. I actually don't like the glass panel stuff much, like on the new RRs. Sure its cutting edge, but I like it simple!

As far as being wider, I am thinking how much easier the current model is to park in the narrower spots now a days. As well as traversing off road on narrow trails, I wont be doing that lol

I might like it being several hundred pounds over the new model. I like the tank factor for all the texters and people who don't pay attention. A quarter of a ton or more helps. lol

Joking aside, I hear what you are saying. And I am sure being lighter, a bit wider, and with independent suspension, it will be more nimble. Mercedes will do it right! I hope they don't tweak the front end to much and try to make it more aerodynamic and lose that iconic look. Thats just me!

The one thing I though of though was this. Weren't they talking of doing a smaller liter motor but with a bit more power! IF thats the case, I wonder if it would lose that iconic low end rumble it has now. I had a 911 that was the last of the naturally aspirated cars I traded in for this. It sounded killer with the 3.6 liter motor.

Than they went to a smaller liter motor and it lost that great sound. They did turbo charge it but still. Just thoughts is all!
Old 05-05-2017, 02:37 AM

2016 G500

I will say if they do a lot of glass panels and stuff where you have to access things through the screen, I may keep mine longer. I actually don't like the glass panel stuff much, like on the new RRs. Sure its cutting edge, but I like it simple!

As far as being wider, I am thinking how much easier the current model is to park in the narrower spots now a days. As well as traversing off road on narrow trails, I wont be doing that lol

I might like it being several hundred pounds over the new model. I like the tank factor for all the texters and people who don't pay attention. A quarter of a ton or more helps. lol

Joking aside, I hear what you are saying. And I am sure being lighter, a bit wider, and with independent suspension, it will be more nimble. Mercedes will do it right! I hope they don't tweak the front end to much and try to make it more aerodynamic and lose that iconic look. Thats just me!

The one thing I though of though was this. Weren't they talking of doing a smaller liter motor but with a bit more power! IF thats the case, I wonder if it would lose that iconic low end rumble it has now. I had a 911 that was the last of the naturally aspirated cars I traded in for this. It sounded killer with the 3.6 liter motor.

Unfortunately we will see the HORRIBLE glass panles as in the E-class (and the reason i did not take the E63s recently...it's awful)

i agree with everything else you say including the panzer-like stance (lol)....

re the engine, the AMG model will be based on the 4L V8TT. that's why i bought the G500 in '16, to try out the engine and i have to say i love it.....mine has been tweaked to ca 550HP and we know from E63s it's good for 600+hp....

as far as the looks, it is to stay exactly as we love it as a W46....5(??)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:30 AM

Mercedes G63
Unfortunately we will see the HORRIBLE glass panles as in the E-class (and the reason i did not take the E63s recently...it's awful)

i agree with everything else you say including the panzer-like stance (lol)....

re the engine, the AMG model will be based on the 4L V8TT. that's why i bought the G500 in '16, to try out the engine and i have to say i love it.....mine has been tweaked to ca 550HP and we know from E63s it's good for 600+hp....

as far as the looks, it is to stay exactly as we love it as a W46....5(??)
Yes, the other big brand competition with all the glass panels. Is just blah to me, and I know many vehicles are doing it. No disrespect to those who love them. Its just me.

I like simple switches, instead it looking like an electric car. And doing everything through glass can be a pain. Like my finance's car. I believe turning on the seat heaters is through the glass panel.

I bet you like that engine of yours having it tweaked. Did you do a tune, or more work like turbos and headers? That sounds cool! Glad you like it. By they way what kind of mileage does it get in town? I know people don't buy Gs for mileage, but I am just curious!

I have seen the E panels, and have on some of the other stuff, and just don't like it. I am an old timer I guess. I can see some people trying to navigate through that panel for something, while driving all over the road, and causing an accident. Instead of turning a knob or throwing a switch. With a vehicle out of warranty, I would hate to see the bill for a replacement.

Last edited by Jagdpanzer; 05-05-2017 at 10:38 AM.