G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Will I regret not getting a lightly used G63 over the brand new G550 I have on order?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G550 (on order)
Will I regret not getting a lightly used G63 over the brand new G550 I have on order?

I have a 2017 G550 on order, expected to arrive in September. I think I got a great deal and I'm looking forward to owning a G. I have a $1000 deposit on the vehicle but there is no final sales contract, financing in place yet, etc. Ultimately, one of the other dealers I was shopping with called me the other day to let me know about a clean 2015 G63 that they just took in on a lease turn in. I went and looked at it and it is in excellent condition, and in one of the colors I wanted. My longer term plans were to pay this off and then add something along the lines of a Porsche to the stable. I'm not looking specifically for a particularly sporty SUV this time so I think the standard G should be fine. I can get this two year old AMG for about fifteen thousand less than a brand new G. Am I better off sticking with a completely brand new unit or should I save the money and get the slightly used AMG? Thanks
Old 05-27-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 305 Likes on 231 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
If it is a low mileage CPO G I would consider the AMG. The AMG vehicles are great across the product line but unfortunately they take a major depreciation hit in the first two years. I suspect you may be getting a discount on the new G you have the deposit on so a price comparison may make your decision. I think I would prefer the AMG model...but I wouldn't buy one new. Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way. And yes, my other car is a Porsche but I don't drive it much. I'm addicted to my G (and so is the wife).
Old 05-28-2017, 06:55 AM

2017 G550 (on order)
Originally Posted by pdeacon
If it is a low mileage CPO G I would consider the AMG. The AMG vehicles are great across the product line but unfortunately they take a major depreciation hit in the first two years. I suspect you may be getting a discount on the new G you have the deposit on so a price comparison may make your decision. I think I would prefer the AMG model...but I wouldn't buy one new. Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way. And yes, my other car is a Porsche but I don't drive it much. I'm addicted to my G (and so is the wife).
Basically, I'm getting $7500 off MSRP on the new G550. They aren't making up the difference with high document fees either -$75 processing fees, everything else is paid directly to NY State. From what I can tell that seems to be a really good price. The used G63 would be a CPO. It's a 2015 with about 36,500 miles on it and in excellent shape. They're asking $107,950 but I wouldn't even consider anything more than $102,000. I'm looking at about $117,500 on the brand new G550 so there's definitely some savings going with the G63. I'm just not sure ultimately. I find the notion of having my own brand new custom G550 with no miles on the odometer very appealing, but I also like the idea of letting someone else take a massive depreciation hit for me. I've got a little time to think about it as the G63 literally just came in. I do appreciate opinions from those more experienced in this realm than myself.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:24 AM

Yes, there is an allure to having that all new, built to your specs car in your driveway. I've been down that road many times...financial logic be damned. Keep in mind that when you drive your new G550 off lot you will be taking the depreciation hit. Probably 20% in the first year. The financial implications are also a function of your long term interest with the G. If you plan on keeping it for a long time the depreciation factor is less relevant. So used G63 or new G550. We are pretty fortunate to be faced with these types of choices. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:01 PM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition
My suggestion is to test drive the G63 and a G550 (if there's one available for a test drive) and base your decision on which you prefer. Having owned a 2014 G550, 2016 G550, and now a 2017 G63, my feeling is that the G63 is definitely better overall as handling on the highway is a HUGE improvement over the G550 (even if you opted for the adjustable suspension, which I had on the 2016). The horsepower difference, while nice, is less important than the overall handling differences.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 G63
Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
I have a 2017 G550 on order, expected to arrive in September. I think I got a great deal and I'm looking forward to owning a G. I have a $1000 deposit on the vehicle but there is no final sales contract, financing in place yet, etc. Ultimately, one of the other dealers I was shopping with called me the other day to let me know about a clean 2015 G63 that they just took in on a lease turn in. I went and looked at it and it is in excellent condition, and in one of the colors I wanted. My longer term plans were to pay this off and then add something along the lines of a Porsche to the stable. I'm not looking specifically for a particularly sporty SUV this time so I think the standard G should be fine. I can get this two year old AMG for about fifteen thousand less than a brand new G. Am I better off sticking with a completely brand new unit or should I save the money and get the slightly used AMG? Thanks

Congrats on your intended purchase of the new G550. I just traded in a 2014 G550 for a lightly used 2017 G63. Personally I would go for the AMG version not just for the engine, I think the G63 has refined/chassis upgrade; a slightly lowered drive height with reduced body roll. Also, the designio diamond stitched leather upholstery makes the G63 feels like a real step up.
Good luck with your decision and enjoy the new ride when you get it.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C230, G550
Get the used one... The Depreciation is already factored in. Im driving a 4 year old G550 non badged and I Love it so does everyone else. get the 63!
Old 05-31-2017, 06:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C, E, SL, S, G63
If you had said you were going to be off roading, doing trails, etc. I'd say stick with the G550. If you are mostly on-road driving and appreciate a hand-built vehicle in this day and age, the AMG version is going to keep you happy.

I have purchased both new and CPO vehicles, it really doesn't make that big a difference if you can get what you are looking for in a CPO vehicle.

I ordered my G63 because I could not find what I wanted but I would not have a problem with a CPO AMG. Yes, I took a depreciation hit but I could care less, the vehicle is a write off anyway.

My wife drives our Cayenne and I spend all my time in the AMG. If I'm going on a long trip sometimes I will consider taking the Cayenne or one of our sedans, but it is just so much fun I end up taking the G.

Something about being able to drive up to a Tesla or Prius, rev my engine and burn away all their perceived carbon credit/savings makes me smile.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
G63 AMG
Get the AMG. Thats why i got my g63 used!
Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 PM

2017 G550 (on order)
This turned out to be an easy decision. For some reason they aren't able to offer the G63 as a CPO Mercedes at any price so it's no longer under consideration. It looks like I'll continue with my G550 order unless something spectacular comes along. Thanks all for the input!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Lt CHEG
This turned out to be an easy decision. For some reason they aren't able to offer the G63 as a CPO Mercedes at any price so it's no longer under consideration. It looks like I'll continue with my G550 order unless something spectacular comes along. Thanks all for the input!
You won't be disappointed. I considered the 63 when I bought my 550. I've never looked back. This truck is a real "hoot". I would not consider any late model MB without a warranty. You made the right decision in that regard.