G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Adding Modern touches and amenities to a 2002 G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G-Wagen
Adding Modern touches and amenities to a 2002 G

Hi

I would like to bring some modern touches and amenities to a G270 CDI (European model). The G- is basically a blank canavas.. It is one of the few cars for complete chassis ... for $39,995 .
You could call it uplift and there has to be several threads on the subject and I would appreciate if the collective could point me toward those specific threads:
I would like to do the following:
  1. Better Exterior Lighting: The WOrld has progressed past halogens lamps. LED, HID and Laser are much more efficient and bright.
  2. Better Sound System. ( I have addressed this in a separate thread and got some answers, do not mind some here )
  3. Back-up camera with proximity sensor Integrated . In other words putting the car in reverse activates the camera and the proximity apparatus would engage.
  4. Lane assistance
  5. New style Power steering ?
Exterior Lighting. Front:We are well past halogen in the car world. Any modern car on the road has something more advanced, HID or LED or even laser. These provide better illumination in general. I have however seen kits on G-Wagon whose light quality and pattern can only charitably be described as horrendous. I don't know which ones work and am open to suggestions. I would like to avoid the wallet-bursting price of original OEM Front Headlights. So I am open to more economic (wallet-friendly) suggestions. It is important for me that any solution be fault-free. I like the look of the HID lamps on the new G BTW
Rear: I am OK with regular MB rear light. I would like to use LED for the fog and back light. The G doesn't have great visibility IMO. LED would provide better illumination than the halogen bul . I would like to know which one provide fault-free replacement. i have seen many.

Sound System and back-up camera: The speakers in my G are adequate. I am aiming at a Pioneer NAVIC unit with back-up camera navigation, etc. I will use MB speakers but will add an additional sub in the back. I am proficient in sound reinforcement so ... not an issue. I need suggestion on the better back-up system that one can retrofit to a 2002 G though ... I like what most modern cars do in term of proximity warning. I would like to equip my car with those. Your suggestions are most welcome.
Lane assistance: meh, if there is an easy retrofit? fine! Else I can live without it. Nice to have though.
I Like the power steering wheel in the 2008 model. Can i use it without much re-programming in a 2002 G?

This may require another thread.. I would like to solve the incredibly annoying issue of chairs moving in any direction but the one desired .... I thought at first it was a switch issue and changed the switches in both front doors to no avail ... Not pleased. I would think that a company such as MB would find ways to solve this issue.

Long post. hope to get some suggestions from the collective as well as questions.. I will share my findings too.
Thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2017, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take a look at mercedesmoscow.com , pull it up in chrome and translate it....