G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

The Jack Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:42 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,353 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Awesome pics mate!
The following users liked this post:
JACWAGN (05-22-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 G550
Originally Posted by mrtonyn
Very nice pictures of your adventure.
How was the comfort level factor spending all those days in the wagon?
How often were the diff lockers or low range were used on this journey?
The comfort was great for the majority of the trip. On the ride home, I will say, I did start to get a bit sore from all the sitting up. Felt it the next morning once we got home. Especially when off roading and for the majority of this journey, I rode nearly 90 degrees straight up. Since then, I've started leaning my seat back a bit more and getting in a more relaxed position. This was the first trip I felt anything from it. Maybe I'm just out of shape.. lol My passenger didn't note any discomfort the entire time.

Only put it in low range for one spot. We didn't go to the Sand Flats Recreation Park so most of the trails were pretty laid back. More bumps and little hills as opposed to true climbing. We had planned to go on the last day but the Potash Ponds, Shafer Trail and White Rim were so beautiful, we decided to spend more time there. Dirt trails with some rocks and mud puddles mixed in. Everything could really be done in 4 hi.

Last edited by JACWAGN; 05-20-2019 at 04:31 PM. Reason: misspell
Old 05-20-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
1999 E320, 2008 S550, 2016 G63 AMG
Usage of diff. lockers.

Based on the pictures posted, I was thinking that all of that could be done in high gear mode.
The reason I asked was to find out more how your experience using the 3 modes of diff lockers (3 buttons on dash).
I have not used them on mine yet because I am not 100% clear on the proper steps yet. Reading the instructions in the manual was confusing. Some you tube videos were very vague. Just don’t want to screw something up and cost and arm and leg to fix.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 AM

2014 G550
Based on the pictures posted, I was thinking that all of that could be done in high gear mode.
The reason I asked was to find out more how your experience using the 3 modes of diff lockers (3 buttons on dash).
I have not used them on mine yet because I am not 100% clear on the proper steps yet. Reading the instructions in the manual was confusing. Some you tube videos were very vague. Just don’t want to screw something up and cost and arm and leg to fix.
I have used the lockers in other situations and they can be a little confusing the first time but once you've done it, it's pretty simple. Here's what you do:

Get in neutral and put the car in low range. Once in low range, you can put the car into drive and proceed to turning on the center locker (1). When you do this, the yellow light will glow next to/below (depending on year) the center (1) diff. As you begin to move, the red light will turn on letting you know the center locker has engaged. Once it is engaged, you can turn on and engage the rear/right locker (2). Finally, you can turn on and engage the front/left locker (3).

Once they engage, you will see the red lights above them all glow.

Now do your dirty work.

To disengage, fully turn off 3 then 2 then 1. Once all lights turn off, go back into neutral and then back into high.

*If you want, once in low range, you can press them in sequence 1-2-3 and they will all engage in order. You can disengage by pressing 3-2-1 in sequence. I typically do one at a time but this will also work if you know you'll be needing them all quickly.

You can turn on 1, 1-2, or 1-2-3. Can't skip over 1 to get to the others and aren't supposed to go out of order.

Practice somewhere with some open space and see how it goes. Make sure you don't have to make any sharp turns though. lol

Hope this helps! You've motivated me to perhaps do a youtube video on this. Could be useful for others in the future!

Last edited by JACWAGN; 05-21-2019 at 06:15 AM. Reason: didn't finish
Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Thanks!

Last edited by mrtonyn; 05-21-2019 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Jack,
Thanks so much for the instructions. It is much easier to understand than MB version in the manual.
Someone tried to explain to me that the 3 diff locker buttons are totally separate operation than the Low Range button..so I got more confused with those information.
I am still unclear when disengaging, or you supposed to be not moving at all when pressing 3-2-1 ?

It would be wonderful if you can make a video that actually show the action along with pushing the correct buttons and sequences (engaging and disengaging).
Most videos on you tube that I have came across only has the person just “talk” about process only...which does not help.
I am one that learns easier from visual demonstration. Plus, a picture is worth 1k words right?

Thanks!

Ready to play !
Kobzarhomes (05-21-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM

2014 G550
Jack,
Thanks so much for the instructions. It is much easier to understand than MB version in the manual.
Someone tried to explain to me that the 3 diff locker buttons are totally separate operation than the Low Range button..so I got more confused with those information.
I am still unclear when disengaging, or you supposed to be not moving at all when pressing 3-2-1 ?

It would be wonderful if you can make a video that actually show the action along with pushing the correct buttons and sequences (engaging and disengaging).
Most videos on you tube that I have came across only has the person just “talk” about process only...which does not help.
I am one that learns easier from visual demonstration. Plus, a picture is worth 1k words right?

Thanks!

Ready to play !
Now that is one beautiful G! I wish the AMG models found a better place to put the intercoolers rather than behind the bumper on the edges.. Seems like a very vulnerable spot when off roading and makes it hard to mount a true off roading bumper that helps approach angles..

The lockers are mechanical so to get them to disengage, you will need to keep moving just like you were to engage them. You can press them while moving or stopped but they won't respond until you move. Once all the lights go off, you can go to neutral and exit low range.

Will see about getting a video up in a few days that shows the process.
johnnyderm (05-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM

Jack,
Your setup looks really nicely done.
Could you share your suspension setup? (Springs, shocks, spacers, tires size, etc...)
How many inches of vehicle height was increased after it was done?
Does it ride much more better compared to stock setup?
Thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 04:49 PM

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
2015 E400
Great to see a Gelandewagen being used as it ought to be...Powdercoating the bullbar black was a great move. The chrome is just too blingy, but I suppose that's what most people care about...
JACWAGN (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 06:05 PM

2014 G550
Jack,
Your setup looks really nicely done.
Could you share your suspension setup? (Springs, shocks, spacers, tires size, etc...)
How many inches of vehicle height was increased after it was done?
Does it ride much more better compared to stock setup?
Thanks
At the time of these pictures and all the way up until, I was running stock suspension. I ran the BF Goodrich KO2s before using the KM3s I now have. Both sized 275/70/18.
With the KO2s, there was never an issue rubbing except for a couple times when fully articulated on an off road course, the tire rubbed the wheel well enough to burn some of the plastic lining. I was able to peel off the tarnished piece and it looked as if it never happened.

Once putting the KM3s on, I immediately noticed a difference in the size of the tire. While the KO2s were closer to 32.5, the KM3 is a true 33 with extremely blocky tread and a more square finish on the edges.
The KM3s have rubbed the wheel well a couple of times already even once on a steep incline into a parking lot with the wheel turned all the way passenger.
No permanent damage to the G just as before but the increased consistency of rubbing was a concern.
The KM3s are a superior tire in every way in my opinion. Very stable, great off road, minimal tire noise for a mud tire, but they were rubbing some.

I say all of this because at the time of these pictures, the suspension was entirely stock. The rubbing issues and desire to have more clearance in the wheel well, more clearance for the low hanging exhaust and underbody, and the overall appeal of a properly lifted truck motivated me to get to researching on lift kits. Fox Shocks or King Shocks paired with the Eibach/ORC Springs and Old Man Emu (OME) Shocks and Springs seemed to be the most popular options.

I was not set on the Fox Shocks because I have read that even at the stiffest settings, they are still fairly loose. In the 550, my goal was actually to increase stiffness to help on road drivability. The G tends to rock some when on the highway especially with a roof rack.
Note: The non AMG models are softer than the AMG models.

The King Shocks seemed nice but they were a bit pricy and really wasn't wanting to throw that much at them if they weren't exactly what I wanted.

Once those were out of the question, I nearly pulled the trigger on the OME system but found out that some had malfunctioned on the 550 models. This was a bummer because this had a stiffer feel that would benefit the 550.

So with those three strikes, I was back to the drawing board. I dove a little deeper and began talking to my following on Instagram about it and had an interesting discovery.
In a matter of a couple weeks, I spoke to 15 G Wagon owners that all run Koni Raid Shocks and Eibach/ORC Springs all over the world!
I was already in favor of the springs so I studied up on Koni's shocks. They're adjustable and reviews said they rode stiffer than a 500/550 and softer than a 55/63 AMG. This was the happy median I was looking for.

I installed both the Eibach/ORC Springs and the Koni Raid Shocks to my G and I have loved them so far. I set the shocks to a medium setting to get a baseline of how they felt.
The G has rode more balanced on the road and does not sway on the highway. The steering feels more in control. They absorb bumps very well.
After the install I noticed just over a 2 inch increase in height. Changes the entire aesthetic of the truck. Looks leaner and more aggressive.

After the experience with the setup, JWO partnered with ORC and Koni to distribute their full line of products. ORC has an especially long catalog so the parts haven't all been added to our website just yet.
We are taking ORC orders by email for the time being. A few clients have already received their orders and have been very happy with the products.
The Shocks and Springs have been posted to our website and are available at these links:

Koni Raid Shocks for G Wagon:
jackwagonoverlanding.com/collections/g-wagon-parts/products/koni-raid-shocks

Eibach/ORC springs for G Wagon:
jackwagonoverlanding.com/collections/g-wagon-parts/products/orc-coil-springs-40mm-lift

mrtonyn (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 12:20 AM

Surprised they still rub slightly with the 2” lift.
I am guessing those Koni’s are very comfortable on freeway compared to the stock G63 shocks. I may have to give it a try at a later point.
You are not using wheel spacers correct?
and in the picture I noticed you did not upgrade the steering shock stabilizer yet.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:03 AM

2014 G550
Surprised they still rub slightly with the 2” lift.
I am guessing those Koni’s are very comfortable on freeway compared to the stock G63 shocks. I may have to give it a try at a later point.
You are not using wheel spacers correct?
and in the picture I noticed you did not upgrade the steering shock stabilizer yet.
The tires were rubbing before the installation of the lift. No rubbing at all with the lift installed!
No wheel spacers. The KM3s poke out a bit more than the KO2. Currently satisfied with there stock offset.
I have not upgraded the steering shock stabilizer. I haven't felt any negative difference from the lift so haven't deemed it necessary yet.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:05 AM

2014 G550
And yes, have to spoke to G55 and G63 owners than run them and like them MUCH better than stock shocks!!
Old 05-23-2019, 03:37 AM

Thanks for the clarification about it not rubbing after the lift...makes more sense to me now.
I am trying to avoid having to use spacers as well, now that I know KM3’s poke out a little will make it look better in relationship to the fender.
Honestly, I will not be doing off roading like you so you think the KM3’s will be overkill if mainly used for street and highway use?
I really like the beefy look of the tires, just look more proper on the G wagon. Yours is done with good taste.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:57 AM

2014 G550
Thanks for the clarification about it not rubbing after the lift...makes more sense to me now.
I am trying to avoid having to use spacers as well, now that I know KM3’s poke out a little will make it look better in relationship to the fender.
Honestly, I will not be doing off roading like you so you think the KM3’s will be overkill if mainly used for street and highway use?
I really like the beefy look of the tires, just look more proper on the G wagon. Yours is done with good taste.
To be honest with you, that's your decision. It's your truck and your money.
Although we love off roading, the majority of the driving is still on road and the tires handle just fine on road.
They make the truck look exactly how I want it to look and they perform very well for an off road tire.
I am happy every time I look at and drive the Jack Wagon. It's my getaway.

The one thing to keep in mind is they're a mud tire not a street tire. If you haven't already, drive a vehicle with mud tires and see what you think of the way it handles.
The way it handles in the steering wheel feels a little bit heavier and the steering is slightly less reactive. You will also trigger your traction control occasionally if you get going to quickly or try to make a sharp corner.
They're really not going to add much performance wise for you, in fact, you're going to lose about 1 mpg if you decide to get any sort of all terrain or mud tire.

In my opinion, this is how the G should look. If it were me, even if I wasn't off roading, I think it just looks right.
Personally, I love the feel of the off road tires. Not because they handle like a sports car but because they feel like a tank. That's what these things are.
Every ride is an experience!

I'm not sure what you value more - performance or "the look" - but that's what I would consider.
Do what's best for you!

The KM3s fit beautifully with the fender flares:

g wagon off road in Moab valley
Old 05-23-2019, 11:47 AM

What a great angle to show off the nice tires and fenders. This is with the lift already correct?
Great details on how the mud tires effect the ride. What about the acceleration and braking? Did the bigger tires and lift kit has a noticeable effect?
Old 05-27-2019, 04:39 AM

2014 G550
What a great angle to show off the nice tires and fenders. This is with the lift already correct?
Great details on how the mud tires effect the ride. What about the acceleration and braking? Did the bigger tires and lift kit has a noticeable effect?
That is a picture from before the lift. Put it on when we got back from Moab.
The braking was affected some by the bigger tires. They will teach you to drive more conservatively because smaller cars can put you in a jam if they slam on their brakes ahead.
The braking in the G was never the best though. Have considered an aftermarket brake upgrade.
Haven't seen any additional issues from adding the lift.
As for acceleration, it's still pretty quick off the line. Haven't experienced much speed or acceleration loss. More so, there's an adaptation period where you get used to driving with the new tires and seeing how they react.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:41 AM

2014 G550
Hey there folks!

Been a while since our last update. Hope everyone is off to a Happy New Year!
We enjoyed another great year with the Jack Wagon getting to go out to Moab and travel around the southern states.

Since our last post, we are proud to announce that Jack Wagon Overlanding has a few new partners!
We are now a full supplier of ORC, Hutchinson, Fox, Koni, ARB/OME, 463 Industries, Front Runner Outfitters, Gobi Racks, H&R, 911 Motorsports, and a few smaller one off vendors.
You can check out our website: jackwagonoverlanding.com to view some of our latest products. We have lift kits, roof racks, underbody protection/skid plates, rock sliders/side steps, bumpers, wheels, and more!
As our catalog continues to grow, our website does not always include everything we have available. If there's something you're looking for and don't see it on our website, email us at jacwagn@gmail.com and we'll be happy to help you locate exactly what you're looking for. To see more of what we do, you can check out our instagram: @JACWAGN

We have been running the Koni Raid Shocks and ORC/Bilstein Blue Springs with the H&R 30mm wheel spacers for some time now and have been extremely satisfied with the setup.

The Koni Raids are extremely beefy and sturdy. They provide a slightly stiffer ride from the stock G550 suspension which is beneficial on road because you don't feel like you're swaying around turns and has not had any negative effects off road as far as being "too stiff".

*For those of you not familiar with the AMG vs non-AMG stock suspensions, the non-AMG (500/550) is known to be looser while the AMG (55/63/65) is known to have a stiffer suspension to accommodate the bigger engine and give it a more "sporty" stance and feel. The ORC/Koni setup sits right in the middle of the non-AMG and AMG stock suspension on the stiffness scale.*

The ORC springs have settled very well also. They have added right at 2 inches of lift with the truck unloaded and we've experienced minimum sagging with the truck carrying over 2000 lbs in the trunk and also while hauling a flat bed trailer.

Because we added two inches to an already top heavy vehicle, we decided to add on the H&R wheel spacers to widen the stance and give an additional bit of stability both on and off road. Before the spacers, the truck drove good at high speeds but this gives some security when making tight corners or facing uneven surfaces. The look is also very nice and the tires sit just outside the non-AMG fender flares.

Before installing the lift, the BFG KM3s (275/70/18) did show some rubbing on the fender liner. We only had slight rubbing at full articulation with the previous BFG KO2s in the same size. Now with the 2" lift, we have no rubbing at all and haven't had any issues post install.

Here's some pictures from our latest adventure out to the mountains of Arkansas showing off the lift and new stance!
Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by JACWAGN:
C240-Merc (03-03-2020), MikeHoncho (02-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 02:55 PM

2014 G550
Hey all,
A quick update. We have changed our email and Instagram to be more in line with our name. You will now be able to find us on Instagram at @JackWagonOverlanding and email us at jackwagonoverlanding@gmail.com. Any messages sent to our old email will now redirect to our new one so no messages will be lost. The short hand we used before was not clear to everyone and we want communication to be as straight forward as possible.
Thank you!
Old 03-03-2020, 10:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
g63
How does that spare tire carrier work offroad? I worry about the weight of 35s. I've been considering the Rigd carrier, but I dont like the tire riding at an angle.
https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/...rier-multi-fit
Old 03-03-2020, 11:38 PM

2014 G550
Originally Posted by MikeHoncho
How does that spare tire carrier work offroad? I worry about the weight of 35s. I've been considering the Rigd carrier, but I dont like the tire riding at an angle.
https://www.rigdsupply.com/products/...rier-multi-fit
Hey Mike,
The reverse spare mount handles great off road. It is very strong and sturdy. Once you've bolted it into the trunk door and mounted the wheel on it, it holds firmly. I use it as a step off the roof rack often times as it's easier to find than the ladder. lol
It can easily support up to 300 lbs without any issues. We tested ours all through the Southwest and up into Moab last spring. Lot's of washboarded roads and bumps along the way. We have sold these to several clients with various setups and haven't had a negative review yet! Ours will be carrying Hutchinson beadlocks in the next month or so.
It comes with very easy to follow, step by step instructions including recommended bolt torque. I believe it would work great for your application.
C240-Merc (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
Koni Shocks

Hey Jack Wagon, can you run the Koni Shocks you sell on a G63 that does not have a lift?
Old 03-04-2020, 05:25 PM

2014 G550
Originally Posted by C240-Merc
Hey Jack Wagon, can you run the Koni Shocks you sell on a G63 that does not have a lift?
Hey There!
You sure can! It'll be a great improvement to your ride and make it less harsh. That setup's being used by a few of our clients already.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G63 AMG
What is largest tire for g63 with 2 inch lift?

Trying to figure out what the Largest tire for g63 with 2 inch lift? I put the Viking fox lift and 50mm spacers, need to know what is largest tire I can put on with no issues.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:25 AM

2014 G550
Originally Posted by Jmoney87
Trying to figure out what the Largest tire for g63 with 2 inch lift? I put the Viking fox lift and 50mm spacers, need to know what is largest tire I can put on with no issues.
Hey there Jmoney! That was actually one of my nicknames back in the day when I played baseball! haha
My apologies for the delayed response, I wanted to check in and see if you were able to get the answer you were looking for yet?
If not, are you talking about the width (275, 285, 295, 305, etc)
~or~
the height (33, 35, also referred to as the sidewall height 50, 60, 70, etc)
Also, it would help to know what size your wheels(rims) are to best assist. The sidewall height will vary based on what diameter the wheels are (18-20")
Feel free to email me at jackwagonoverlanding@gmail.com and I'd be happy to chat further there as well. As you can see, I'm not as active on here lately and want to be able to get you your answer ASAP.
Cheers
Jmoney87 (04-06-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Jack Wagon