G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

No European Delivery for the G? What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Audi S6, 2013 GL550, 2004 G500
Angry No European Delivery for the G? What's the deal?

Why isn't the G-class part of the EU delivery program? I realize it's built in Austria, but many other Merc models are built in other countries as well.
Old 12-16-2018, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
Are you going off the information on mbusa.com? If so, that information is not up to date for some reason. I don't know about the G-class, but the S-class for example is available for EU delivery, even though it's not listed on mbusa.com. Check with your dealer or email europeandelivery@mbusa.com. The G-class could indeed not be eligible, because it's not actually made by Mercedes. It's made by Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria. I'm going through the EU delivery process right now for my '19 C63 S. Information is a bit tough to get as many dealers are not very experienced with it. Not a lot of customers do European Delivery, so you might have to educate your dealer on the process. I've done it previously with Audi, but never with Mercedes, but the process is very similar.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-16-2018 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
places (12-16-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The G-Wagen has never been part of the Euro Delivery program - so don't feel bad about something that ever was.

The sticking point I have been told - has to do with the difference between Euro spec required for Euro delivery - and the rework back to US spec.

MB can handle that on the sedans/coupes/roadsters - but I have been told it is not feasible to release G-Wagen in Germany w/Euro spec - then return the G-Wagen back to Graz for rework and re-export. Whether it's a regulatory barrier - or a logistics barrier - or a barrier with Steyr Graz... no clear understanding on that.

Contrary to the prior posts - for most Top 50 Mercedes dealers - European delivery has been a steady ongoing segment of the sedan business - not SUV's as much - since the mainstream GLE/GLS are manufactured here.

You save with the MBUSA discount - plus the $995 US shipping/handling is waived - for the dealer they get full margin but does not count for holdback and/or any extra MB dealer money for that model at time of delivery

The program actually has gotten a bit better for those planning extended Euro stays - if outright purchase - you can keep it in Europe for up to 6-months as long as you pay MB upfront for the additional Euro insurance.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
The G-Wagen has never been part of the Euro Delivery program - so don't feel bad about something that ever was.

The sticking point I have been told - has to do with the difference between Euro spec required for Euro delivery - and the rework back to US spec.

MB can handle that on the sedans/coupes/roadsters - but I have been told it is not feasible to release G-Wagen in Germany w/Euro spec - then return the G-Wagen back to Graz for rework and re-export. Whether it's a regulatory barrier - or a logistics barrier - or a barrier with Steyr Graz... no clear understanding on that.

Contrary to the prior posts - for most Top 50 Mercedes dealers - European delivery has been a steady ongoing segment of the sedan business - not SUV's as much - since the mainstream GLE/GLS are manufactured here.

You save with the MBUSA discount - plus the $995 US shipping/handling is waived - for the dealer they get full margin but does not count for holdback and/or any extra MB dealer money for that model at time of delivery

The program actually has gotten a bit better for those planning extended Euro stays - if outright purchase - you can keep it in Europe for up to 6-months as long as you pay MB upfront for the additional Euro insurance.
I can understand that the G is not part of EU delivery, but it's got to be a different reason. ED cars are not Euro spec when picked up in Germany. They are US spec from the factory. There are two things that are being changed. The ECU is programmed for the European fuel grades. In particular you can pump regular and premium in Europe. The second thing is the navigation gets loaded with EU maps and programmed for Europe. Both of these are then changed back at the VPC in the USA. They do not go back to the factory in Europe. Once the cars arrive at the VPC the ECU gets programmed with the US spec in particular for min 91 octane and the navigation gets loaded with the US maps etc. and they put a different fuel grade requirement sticker on the fuel door. While in Europe, the ECU will also log fuel quality and grade information and if at the VPC it is determined that the car was fueled improperly they may charge the customer for any potential repairs. This is all explained in the welcome materials that they email out.

The GM at my dealership said MB does about 20 EU deliveries per month across the entire USA. Not sure if that's true, but the volume seller C-class sedans are also produced here, so ED is limited to mostly coupes and cabs/roadsters which are niche products and higher end sedans (E and S class). BTW, you can keep the car in Europe up to 12 months not 6 and yes you have to pay for Euro insurance upfront beyond the 15 days that is included and it has to be bought in monthly increments. They adjust the premium by the 15 days that are free, but you have to buy at least 1 month of insurance if planning to stay more than 15 days. I'm staying 2 months.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-17-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Yep, I asked about the 2018 that I originally ordered and was told no ED on G-Class.

As @superswiss mentioned, I think ED is limited to MB cars assembled in Germany. https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/enthu...ivery/vehicles - no GLE, GLS, G, C Sedan

It's good to know that you can extend for up to 2 years though, been thinking about living in London, can drive the car across the channel I think these newer MB's with projector lights also have a setting to change the lights to conform to either left or right traffic patterns.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Holson
Yep, I asked about the 2018 that I originally ordered and was told no ED on G-Class.

As @superswiss mentioned, I think ED is limited to MB cars assembled in Germany. https://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/enthu...ivery/vehicles - no GLE, GLS, G, C Sedan

It's good to know that you can extend for up to 2 years though, been thinking about living in London, can drive the car across the channel I think these newer MB's with projector lights also have a setting to change the lights to conform to either left or right traffic patterns.
You can extend up to 1 year (12 months), not 2 years, but it'll get pretty costly. My extra insurance for the additional 1.5 months beyond the included 15 days is $1000. After 1 year, Germany wants their VAT and MB will no longer export it for you. Not sure what would happen if you kept it in the UK after that, especially after the potentially messy March Brexit deadline.

Regarding driving in the UK and the headlight beam pattern for left traffic, that's something I'm trying to figure out myself. I am going to London for part of the trip, but nobody so far has been able to confirm that the so called "tourist mode" is available in ED cars. However, they do offer a drop off location in London. It's an extra cost, because the car has to be shipped back to Bremerhaven first, but it looks like the cars are expected to be driven in the UK. Worst case I just avoid driving at night, but the ED lady that is handling my order couldn't tell me. I'm guessing I'll find out once I pick up the car and get the orientation.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-17-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Originally Posted by superswiss
You can extend up to 1 year (12 months), not 2 years, but it'll get pretty costly. My extra insurance for the additional 1.5 months beyond the included 15 days is $1000. After 1 year, Germany wants their VAT and MB will no longer export it for you. Not sure what would happen if you kept it in the UK after that, especially after the potentially messy March Brexit deadline.

Regarding driving in the UK and the headlight beam pattern for left traffic, that's something I'm trying to figure out myself. I am going to London for part of the trip, but nobody so far has been able to confirm that the so called "tourist mode" is available in ED cars. However, they do offer a drop off location in London. It's an extra cost, because the car has to be shipped back to Bremerhaven first, but it looks like the cars are expected to be driven in the UK. Worst case I just avoid driving at night, but the ED lady that is handling my order couldn't tell me. I'm guessing I'll find out once I pick up the car and get the orientation.
Thanks for the insight.

I seem to recall seeing an option to switch the headlight orientation in my German spec rental GLC220d but the US model may not have it I guess.. good luck and enjoy the trip!