G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Shock Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
m6
Have you tried the shocks at the lowest setting of one?
Old 09-02-2020, 12:18 PM

Received 455 Likes on 276 Posts
2005 G55K
Originally Posted by acmw
Have you tried the shocks at the lowest setting of one?
Hey Alex,

A few others have tried the shocks on the full soft setting and found there was too much sway during acceleration and stopping. Recommended setting for the 'softest' ride is for 2-3 clicks in the front and rear. I plan to set mine at 4 and 4 to start with when I do my install next week.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 G500
I'm looking forward to swapping out my stock Konis for the Fox 2.0. But first on the to do list are spring spacers.. Ive got the 49mm spacers ready to go, but when I went to install the other day, couldn't get the bottom nut off of the stock shock on the front.. tried everything but the shock housing would just spin whenever turned. Tried air tools, PB blaster, WD40, tried holding the housing, tried securing with vice grips (trying not to hurt the shock).

Anyone ever run into this? I feel like a super newb now and just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.. Any input would be great. I'm not ready to grind open the shock and rip it out as I don't have the Fox shocks yet (probably get them for myself for christmas) Thanks!
Old 10-12-2020, 04:55 PM

2005 G55K
I had the same issue with my lower shock nuts. My 2005 has most likely never had these removed in its life and they were really stuck. I ended up using my questionable air tool setup (Harbor Freight 1/2" earthquake XT impact + HF 8 gallon air compressor) and lots of PB Blaster. Took several tries of tightening and loosening with lubricant to get the nuts off. I had to hold the shock bodies with a large channel lock wrench and scratched one of the shocks pretty badly.

Since you have not yet purchased your replacement shocks, it may make sense to just do the spring spacers with the shock install at the same time as you won't have to worry about cutting the shock nut off if necessary. You could go to a shop with a commercial grade air tool setup with higher breakaway torques and ask them to loosen the nuts for you first, but there is always a risk of the shock threaded shaft breaking without having replacements on hand. I would also recommend installing longer diff/brake lines at the same time since you're already in there, and by removing the diff/brake lines, you can drop the axle all the way down and may not need to use spring compressors.
The following users liked this post:
Gregoogle (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 G500
Originally Posted by shiann
I had the same issue with my lower shock nuts. My 2005 has most likely never had these removed in its life and they were really stuck. I ended up using my questionable air tool setup (Harbor Freight 1/2" earthquake XT impact + HF 8 gallon air compressor) and lots of PB Blaster. Took several tries of tightening and loosening with lubricant to get the nuts off. I had to hold the shock bodies with a large channel lock wrench and scratched one of the shocks pretty badly.

Since you have not yet purchased your replacement shocks, it may make sense to just do the spring spacers with the shock install at the same time as you won't have to worry about cutting the shock nut off if necessary. You could go to a shop with a commercial grade air tool setup with higher breakaway torques and ask them to loosen the nuts for you first, but there is always a risk of the shock threaded shaft breaking without having replacements on hand. I would also recommend installing longer diff/brake lines at the same time since you're already in there, and by removing the diff/brake lines, you can drop the axle all the way down and may not need to use spring compressors.
Thanks for the input. Glad I’m not the only one who’s run into this. I’ll take another go at it in the next few weeks and see how it goes. Maybe spray the bolts with wd40 the night before and let it soak in. I’ll look into the longer lines and see if that’s something I want to do while I’m in there. Thanks again
Old 10-12-2020, 11:25 PM

2005 G55K
I would use something better than WD-40. I use PB Blaster as I've found it works really well, but there are a few other bolt penetrating threads that are designed for the job better than WD-40. I would also start spraying the rear shock lower bolts too as mine were also very very stuck. My impact couldn't loosen them and I had to wedge a wrench against the ground (2x4 under), drop the truck to hold the wrench in place, and use a 36" breaker bar to just break the bolt loose. And even after breaking loose, I had to continue using a 24" breaker bar in small angles, which took forever. A better impact setup would probably do it, but having a shop break it loose will make it much easier. You can source the lower rear bolt + nut as extras if you're worried about breaking them.