Notices
G-Class (W460, W461, W463) 1980-Present: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G 250, G 300, G 300 DT, G 320, G 500, G55 AMG

What is the right way to order a 2020 G63?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsche
What is the right way to order a 2020 G63?

Please pardon my ignorance, but can anyone shed some light on how the order process for a 2019/2020 G63 works? I'm looking to place a custom order and realize it's taking a year + to get one now. Yesterday I visited Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA and the sales guy said to put a 2,500 deposit down and I should get a car in late 2020. He told me not to worry about their current $50k over sticker pricing. He said prices will probably get down to MSRP by then, and we can finalize pricing once the car shows up. Does this sound right?

Is there anything special that needs to be done to order a G63 other than handing the dealer $2,500? Should I be trying to make sure the dealer has an allocation they can put my name on first? My only other experience with ordering an in demand car was with Porsche (GT3RS). In that case, some dealers were taking huge deposits for many more cars than they were realistically going to be allocated. If you actually wanted a car, you had to be sure the dealer really had an allocation and check that you were assigned an allocation number in their system. Is it the same with Mercedes, or is it really as easy as just cutting Fletcher Jones a check and waiting?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
There is no allocation at this moment past October - but it sounds like your sales guy at Fletcher is shooting straight.

You spec the car based on the 2020 order guide now - yes yours will be a 2021 - then put your money down and wait..

The question is what sales documentation they give you - in the event the sales guy this year is not the sales guy next year when you update your order ..
Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 113 Likes on 85 Posts
2015 SL550, 2018 G63
Sounds about right. I would however look into other Dealers, this particular dealer does not have the best reputation based on other experiences.
The following users liked this post:
garymyman (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
993 TT
Find a dealer who will commit to MSRP. Otherwise you are subject to bait and switch. Just call around.
The following users liked this post:
garymyman (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:57 AM

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Currently: 2016 GLE63 SUV, Before: 2013 G550 (w463), Range Rover Sport, 1984 CJ7
Where are you located. There are a few dealers near NYC area that are Build = MSRP trusted...
Old 06-18-2019, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 573 Likes on 447 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
On the G63 - "most" MB dealers will not be eager to support a out-of-area deposit-for-future-build - whether that build will be MSRP or open ended for future add-market-adjustment

On the new gen G's - dealers get "a OK nod" from Mercedes for selling/delivering each G in their market area - and that OK nod helps on future allocations - Mercedes US has inferred that a "no OK nod" for selling G's outside their market area could lead to one less G in future allocations.

In SoCal and "most" other major urban areas - Porsche GTR3's are +$35K market adjustment for out-of-stock deliveries - so the current +$35K market adjustment for G63's is not totally unreasonable.

What happened first in SoCal - and then spread like Ebola - was there were customers who pre-ordered before release - assumed or confirmed at MSRP - that when their rigs arrived their dealer said - oh - +$15K G550 and +$35K for your G63 - and that was the 1st time I have seen such appalling dealer behavior come up.

Yes - Fletcher was one of the 1st reported "offender's" - but in the case of this OP - seems to me that Fletcher sales guy is experienced and at least is being straightforward on delivery timeline - and his comment that things may have cooled off a bit on upcharge by that time is a valid point.

I can see G production as stable - meaning will continue tight on allocation - production #'s on G's are "fixed" since Magna Steyr is production limited - always has been and always will..

The G's keep their status - I wouldn't want to by a Lincoln Guy - hot today and hammered down value tomorrow.

Keep the beat !