G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Good all Season tire for G63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2023, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 Mercedes E500
K02s are likely to rub

What a great thread! The stock tires on the G don't appear to be ideal for anything other than street cruising - a shame for a vehicle designed to do more than that. I'd like to chime in and share my experiences.

I have a 2019 G63 with 21" wheels wearing the stock Pirelli Scorpion Zero (285/45/21). I took it off-roading in SoCal and it proved quite capable. However, you can see from the below photos that at maximum compression and articulation on the rear axle, the tires nearly touch the inner liner of the fenders. The K02s running at their smallest size on 20" (the minimum wheel diameter capable of fitting the large brakes on the G63) would be 275/55/20. These are definitely going to rub and possibly cause problems under maximum articulation. They will likely work fine when not under max articulation - but it seems the capability of the K02s would be limited if the vehicle isn't allowed to traverse varied terrain. Thus, it seems the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs are the only viable option on the '19 and up G63 without any lift if one plans to run the G through its paces on terrain like the below.

Full suspension articulation.

Rear axle compression under load

And yes, I had all three differentials locked in order to traverse this section. I did make an attempt with just the center and it did move about with some protest. Locking the rear diff was good enough to get through the section, but it was without any grade.

With all three diffs locked, the G63 easily walked up the below section without drama. Interestingly, I watched all sorts of Tacoma TRD Off-Road variants slipping and sliding up this hill. I got a lot of inquisitive looks and at least one "thumbs up" taking the $200k truck with 21" stock wheels up it with ease.

I attempted a rock crawl section, but I found the 9.5" of ground clearance to be not quite enough. I slid off a rock and the slammed the front brush guard into it. Even though just two bolts secure it to the chassis, it was enough to basically stop the impact from ripping off the bumper, though I walked away with some pretty big gashes in both the bumper and brush guard. I did make it through that rock crawl section though, and again, watched all sorts of other vehicles slipping and sliding through it.

One thing to note - the side pipes on the G63, while sharp looking, are not ideal for off-roading. I found that they "got in the way" in the sections posted here. I scratched the underside at least a couple of times when getting one wheel in the air.

Uphill frame twister, required three diffs locked

Last edited by ArtsE500; 05-11-2023 at 05:27 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
Chrissy Smith (11-23-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 205 Posts
Built 2008 G55 & one big 80 Series LandCruiser !
Great to see a 463A getting used as designed ! downward travel on the IFS front really looks more limited then I'd of thunk ....any plans for mods ?
Old 05-11-2023, 08:34 AM

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts
Multiple
@Texas E63 Isn't limited 'droop' an issue with all G wagons, even older W463s?

@ArtsE500 Awesome to see you put the new truck to intended use! I really like the new generation G and hope to get one in a few years. It looks much more 'mature' and modern on the inside, ha.

The wimpy passenger tires may be ok for sand, but the moment you get to rocky or gravelly terrain, you will get flats/torn sidewalls real fast because of lack of beefy sidewalls. It's also why running 21" wheels is not an option for any sort of real off-roading, and you have to downsize to 19 or 20 at a minimum and get some rubber around them.

Also correct on the silly side tips, cutting them off was one of the first things I did! Easy to get the side tips caught on rocks and push the exhaust up into engine bay or into back tires - I have seen videos of both and its not pretty.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 05-11-2023 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-20-2023, 04:32 PM

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
They're definitely not "all season" tires, but I've been very happy with the Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my G. The ride noise and comfort is at least as good as the stock Geolanders, and performance in mud, sand, dirt and snow is significantly better. Actually, I think the ride is better than stock because the thicker rubber and taller sidewall gives me added protection when I hit potholes or uneven pavement:

Last edited by JD101b; 05-20-2023 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:35 AM

03 Mercedes E500
Originally Posted by Texas E63
Great to see a 463A getting used as designed ! downward travel on the IFS front really looks more limited then I'd of thunk ....any plans for mods ?
I would like to lift it about 2" so I can fit beefier tires like the K02 on there, but when I'm not offroading/overlanding, it's my wife's bona fide mall crawler. This means it has to fit under parking structures, and here in LA, there's several that are just barely 6'7". A lift would be a no go. Next mod is likely to be a set of 20" wheels and Scorpion ATRs to go with them. That should handle about 85% of California's trails.

I am also looking to order a roof rack - again, would need to be off any time I'm in city mode (most of the time) to fit under structures. There's at least a couple that are now off limits. There's one that's just a paltry 6' of ground clearance, that my Cayenne had no trouble fitting in, but is a no go with the G.

The most recent mod was a full body PPF with Ceramic Pro Kavaca Matte. Need to protect the paint from trail debris, branches, etc. Still too new to scuff up and turn into a dedicated off-roader. I like the "Magno" look produced by the matte PPF. I'd also like to upsize the wheels to 22" OEMs.

@xxaarraa

Yikes! I don't think I have the stomach, yet, to take a sawzall and slice off the tips.

The following users liked this post:
Chrissy Smith (11-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by ArtsE500
I would like to lift it about 2" so I can fit beefier tires like the K02 on there, but when I'm not offroading/overlanding, it's my wife's bona fide mall crawler. This means it has to fit under parking structures, and here in LA, there's several that are just barely 6'7". A lift would be a no go. Next mod is likely to be a set of 20" wheels and Scorpion ATRs to go with them. That should handle about 85% of California's trails.
Just curious about the impact of extreme tire upsizing and suspension lifting on ADAS functions. Does recalibration become necessary as when replacing a windshield, or are ADAS functions unaffected?
Old 06-05-2023, 03:09 AM

03 Mercedes E500
Originally Posted by streborx
Just curious about the impact of extreme tire upsizing and suspension lifting on ADAS functions. Does recalibration become necessary as when replacing a windshield, or are ADAS functions unaffected?
There are 2019+ models lifted 4" and fitted with 33" tires that appear to run fine without running afoul of ADAS. I've read that there could be wheel speed sensor issues starting at 35" and up.
Old 06-05-2023, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,054 Likes on 805 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by ArtsE500
There are 2019+ models lifted 4" and fitted with 33" tires that appear to run fine without running afoul of ADAS. I've read that there could be wheel speed sensor issues starting at 35" and up.
I just had my windshield replaced and re-cal of the ADAS sensor cluster was part of the install process. I've wondered if this is inherently necessary or if it's just to check that the installer re-seated the electrical connectors securely and didn't otherwise mess things up. Regarding wheel speed sensor issues, there will be an error anytime the tire circumference changes. I changed my tires to 275/55R20 from the OE 275/50R20 size, which results in about 3% difference in speed and odometer, but I don't consider it significant. If a change-up resulted in more than 5%, I'd probably look at have the ECU reprogrammed to compensate.