G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Magna Steyr Graz closing tomorrow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Okay - let me shoot straight here - in Euro both Italy and France - both countries are entirely locked down.

On the Daimler side - the MB factories are closing by this weekend - Magna Steyr will close this weekend - in essence European auto production for all brands is shutting down - stopping the supply chain from parts-assembly-shipment-inventory

Read the news - this is a EXCEPTIONAL WORLD WIDE EVENT - this will not go well - and this will NOT end early.

Now - your MB Dealer at any point can only report what they see in Netstar - and what NetStar says now - will be what NetStar says until two things both happen -

1) factories re-open

2) and if Mercedes chooses to update NetStar - and note with severe production delays here with SUV's in the US earlier this year - either MB choose NOT to update NetStar - or as many believe (including me) it's not possible to reset/update the full NetStar platform for ANY model.

Guy's - this will need to work itself out - if someone today thinks their G-Wagen is being built in April - no way - it will NOT happen until #1 and #2 above happen.

For my customer's - upfront yesterday/today I am advising customers with production order's now in NetStar - any model - that their delivery date is uncertain and will have major slippage but will be model year 2020 - and pre-order's in queue with me and not in assigned production date - again any model - are subject to severe slippage and will most likely become model year 2021.

At the moment - I consider model year 2021 at best to be a "late start" - and we will not know for quite a while what that "late start" will be.

For what it's worth - I am shooting straight from what I see from where I sit - and from what I am told "on a personal basis" from my friends both in Germany and Graz.
The following users liked this post:
Bexlee (03-19-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
G63, GLE63s Coupe, GLS450, E250 Bluetec
Fabbrisd1, thanks so much for the detailed information.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:04 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2020 G63
@fabbrisd1 thankyou so much for the honest and upfront detail.

Do you know what they're doing with built vehicles that are either on ships, or working their way through the VPCs? Are those shutting down also, or are they clearing that pipe?
That's an awful lot of stalled dealer revenue...
Old 03-18-2020, 09:28 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Okay - let me shoot straight here - in Euro both Italy and France - both countries are entirely locked down.

On the Daimler side - the MB factories are closing by this weekend - Magna Steyr will close this weekend - in essence European auto production for all brands is shutting down - stopping the supply chain from parts-assembly-shipment-inventory

Read the news - this is a EXCEPTIONAL WORLD WIDE EVENT - this will not go well - and this will NOT end early.

Now - your MB Dealer at any point can only report what they see in Netstar - and what NetStar says now - will be what NetStar says until two things both happen -

1) factories re-open

2) and if Mercedes chooses to update NetStar - and note with severe production delays here with SUV's in the US earlier this year - either MB choose NOT to update NetStar - or as many believe (including me) it's not possible to reset/update the full NetStar platform for ANY model.

Guy's - this will need to work itself out - if someone today thinks their G-Wagen is being built in April - no way - it will NOT happen until #1 and #2 above happen.

For my customer's - upfront yesterday/today I am advising customers with production order's now in NetStar - any model - that their delivery date is uncertain and will have major slippage but will be model year 2020 - and pre-order's in queue with me and not in assigned production date - again any model - are subject to severe slippage and will most likely become model year 2021.

At the moment - I consider model year 2021 at best to be a "late start" - and we will not know for quite a while what that "late start" will be.

For what it's worth - I am shooting straight from what I see from where I sit - and from what I am told "on a personal basis" from my friends both in Germany and Graz.
I really hope you are wrong, because after my dealer ****ing up my Feb Delivery Order I might be done with Merc. I'm not waiting past June/July at this point.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:56 PM

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
2009 C230
I guess we just wait. I'm not complaining, these are first world problems worrying about when our Gs will arrive. I'll be happy when it gets here and in the meantime, everyone needs to take care of themselves and those around them.
The following 2 users liked this post by CClement:
alistairg (03-19-2020), NikBenz1 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
The question on "on-the-boat-now" - if US Port's are open - they will unload - and as of today both Port to VPC and VPC-to-Truck/Rail is running.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
UPDATE: Plant is closed until at least April 6th.
Bexlee (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:55 AM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
G350d, Rover Mini , Abarth 500, G230, RS4
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
UPDATE: Plant is closed until at least April 6th.
Thanks Bob Edited OP too :-)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bexlee
Thanks Bob Edited OP too :-)
This articles updates often so one can find out the latest from most manufacturers in Europe: https://europe.autonews.com/automake...plant-closings
Bexlee (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:10 AM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2009 S550 4Matic 2009 GL 550 2009 AM DBS
I think the bigger problem for all manufacturers will be their supply chains which will be the rate limiting step in the equation.

Just my $0.02
Bexlee (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pateljb
I think the bigger problem for all manufacturers will be their supply chains which will be the rate limiting step in the equation.

Just my $0.02
Exactly - until all parts are available a vehicle cannot be produced no matter how many people you have to screw them together. I predict production will ramp back up by May 1st, and then those of us with orders will find out how much of a delay to expect.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
G
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Exactly - until all parts are available a vehicle cannot be produced no matter how many people you have to screw them together. I predict production will ramp back up by May 1st, and then those of us with orders will find out how much of a delay to expect.
My G63 build is scheduled for 2nd decade of April. It will be interesting to see what kind of delays we get. As we've been reading, a lot of customers are cancelling their orders. Might mean the car will come sooner than expected? My ETA was end of May/early June which is good for me, not any sooner. I wonder what's going to happen with their production. Thanks for the info!
Old 04-04-2020, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now it appears that production may start after Easter: https://industriemagazin.at/a/magna-...der-hochfahren
Old 04-05-2020, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Man, it is reasonable to expect end-May - even end-June - then you have July factory Holiday - it isn't pretty..
Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Man, it is reasonable to expect end-May - even end-June - then you have July factory Holiday - it isn't pretty..
you would think they would skip the factory holiday in this situation and work to catch up since the factory has already been on a holiday since closing 🤬
Bexlee (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 09:56 AM

G550
Originally Posted by spourreza
you would think they would skip the factory holiday in this situation and work to catch up since the factory has already been on a holiday since closing 🤬
I believe those are national holidays...so by law.....they have to give them.
Bexlee (04-05-2020)
Old 04-05-2020, 11:12 AM

2009 C230

Magna Steyr plans to ramp up production in Graz again soon

Car maker and supplier Magna wants to ramp up production in Graz in a few days - but for now only prototype construction. Series production does not start until after Easter.
Protective masks are compulsory throughout the factory, and protective walls are placed between employees during the snack.

Even if this happens, I wonder if they have an adequate supply of parts to produce most vehicles or if it will depend on the model? For example, the plant ceased
production March 17th, the week before my G550 build. I'm guessing that given my vehicle was just about set for production and I'm sure that these plants
carry parts on hand for at least a buffer of production time/units, might be ok. Given vehicles were being completed right up to the shutdown, I'm sure they have stock on parts for
at least a couple of months (maybe), and maybe more given the number of cancellations I have been hearing about. I guess we will see in a week if this actually happens
or whether an update comes out this week with a further push-back in terms of date. Also, from what I've experienced, I've seen shipping times have increased
worldwide, not sure if this is factor for vehicle ship transport but wouldn't surprise me. 6 weeks from production date to delivery is likely much too optimistic at this point.
Mid-late April production date likely wouldn't see until late June to the dealer at best I believe.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:21 AM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
Originally Posted by CClement

Car maker and supplier Magna wants to ramp up production in Graz in a few days - but for now only prototype construction. Series production does not start until after Easter.
Protective masks are compulsory throughout the factory, and protective walls are placed between employees during the snack.

Even if this happens, I wonder if they have an adequate supply of parts to produce most vehicles or if it will depend on the model? For example, the plant ceased
production March 17th, the week before my G550 build. I'm guessing that given my vehicle was just about set for production and I'm sure that these plants
carry parts on hand for at least a buffer of production time/units, might be ok. Given vehicles were being completed right up to the shutdown, I'm sure they have stock on parts for
at least a couple of months (maybe), and maybe more given the number of cancellations I have been hearing about. I guess we will see in a week if this actually happens
or whether an update comes out this week with a further push-back in terms of date. Also, from what I've experienced, I've seen shipping times have increased
worldwide, not sure if this is factor for vehicle ship transport but wouldn't surprise me. 6 weeks from production date to delivery is likely much too optimistic at this point.
Mid-late April production date likely wouldn't see until late June to the dealer at best I believe.
if that is the case, then my late 2020 model may convert to a 2021 unless they delay the 2021 model to finish all 2020 orders
Old 04-05-2020, 11:33 AM

G550

at least a couple of months (maybe), and maybe more given the number of cancellations
I have been hearing about. I guess we will see in a week if this actually happens
Thats not how it works. I believe all the germans practice "just in time" for parts delivery. So basically the parts might be there 1-2 weeks before the build happens.....thats how porsche does it.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:38 PM

2009 C230
Makes sense to use just in time, but hoping at least 1-2 weeks stock so there is a chance they can finish my G once production starts up. If they are waiting for the supply chain to be fully up and running again, could be one long wait for all.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:45 PM

G550
Makes sense to use just in time, but hoping at least 1-2 weeks stock so there is a chance they can finish my G once production starts up. If they are waiting for the supply chain to be fully up and running again, could be one long wait for all.
I can already tell you through the company I work for, the supply chain period for EMEA is completely screwed. If its not essential at this point its low pri to get moved.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:49 PM

2009 C230
Ya makes sense. Not a big deal either way, no rush for an expensive vehicle during these times. Whether it's June, July, Fall...doesn't really have matter. I'm sure we will have better clarity in the next 1-2 months, hopefully at least.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:55 PM

G550
Ya just sucks....getting the feeling its going to be a year since my order with the screw up
Old 04-05-2020, 12:59 PM

2009 C230
Ya it does. I'm still a little confused though, if the supply chain of parts is pretty much non-existent currently, why would Magna even say they will begin production again. Production of what?
Old 04-05-2020, 03:58 PM

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
G350d, Rover Mini , Abarth 500, G230, RS4
I’m not sure how everything goes in Graz but I do know the electric cars production there has stopped so maybe some others have taken priority??

my second point is that my other half owns a body shop and orders parts, tyres , protective equipment etc. He’s so far had no issue getting any stock at all. In fact the places are overrun with stock and are constantly trying to sell more as they have to take ‘x’ amount of units per month and they can’t deviate from that.

lastly - cancelled orders etc could easily help keep vehicles close (ish) to estimate delivery dates.

It’s so hard to say- all we really know is ... they will arrive (eventually) lol
spourreza (04-05-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Magna Steyr Graz closing tomorrow