G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Finally found My G - So It Begins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 05:10 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Quick update,

After the AUX install I was getting horrible noise interference.

Did some researching and grabbed a ground loop isolator off Amazon

Put this inline, with a male-to-male AUX adapter (Didn't want to use the cheap longer cable provided)

Ground Loop Isolator:
Amazon Amazon

Before Sound:

After Sound:

Wrapped everything up in fabric wiring tape and zip tied it out of the way.

Took her for a spin to test under load and she's working like a charm.

Hope this helps anyone going the AUX route on their older trucks!
Old 11-30-2020, 01:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
G55 2008
Originally Posted by almostordinary
Quick update,

After the AUX install I was getting horrible noise interference.

Did some researching and grabbed a ground loop isolator off Amazon

Put this inline, with a male-to-male AUX adapter (Didn't want to use the cheap longer cable provided)

Ground Loop Isolator:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Before Sound:
https://vimeo.com/478677460/54c802c814

After Sound:
https://vimeo.com/478677448/ce9fd3fa04

Wrapped everything up in fabric wiring tape and zip tied it out of the way.

Took her for a spin to test under load and she's working like a charm.

Hope this helps anyone going the AUX route on their older trucks!
thank you man!
I have been able to install easily thank to your post a bluethooth device from Becker autosound bought on ebay
It works jsut fine

Remove the ashtray

A/C bezel removed from the buttom area, what out to not pull to hard

Bezel a bit difficult to remove, I put a wet towel to protect the edge of the airvent (this is why u see different color) while pulling out the bezel

Here is the Graal

I follow exactly the process from Almostordinary Green light = bluetooth in action

Here the music, just missing to net get track displayed

The following users liked this post:
almostordinary (11-30-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 01:38 PM

Dude that's awesome!

Glad I could help, so much nicer having instant connectivity.

I did find that the ground loop isolator I had fixed my bass issue, but it's not so great at certain frequencies. I bought another more "hi-fi" one that I will be installing in a few days and giving my verdict.

A plus with this install is that if you have the Mercedes Bluetooth hands free adapter in your center console, when you receive calls the system automatically re-routes calls through the Mercedes HandsFree bluetooth.

So definitely a low cost, pretty straight forward upgrade for us guys with older W463s.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:18 PM

Ok, so after some time in the PNW my truck is taking on water.

My passenger side had a water issue and after cleaning all the grommets along the under side of the door, it seems to be fixed (fingers crossed).

Just found that the driver's side is also taking on water. Took out the mats and have them drying.

Did a quick water test yesterday and all seemed fine.

After a night of light rain, went back out to find almost an inch of water in the driver's well.

Took the dashboard under cover off and can't see anywhere it would get in.

The felt along the bottom of the door is all wet, which I am thinking is the area it's getting in. The seals look and feel good, but going to investigate more.

Seems that a few people have had this issue, I'll keep searching but haven't seen any posts on people finding the cause.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:08 PM

Slight update, with no findings.

Put a water hose in the driver's gutter, in the window sills, along the front windshield, along the wipers, in the engine bay, inside the sunroof gutters and nothing!

Door sills seem to be holding up, everything is draining properly.

Even sprayed upward underneath the truck.

The roof antenna hole is dry as a whistle. Going to let is sit overnight again and see if it pools up, which I am sure it will.

Stumped.

Old 01-30-2021, 05:21 PM

May try this out if it continues.

Will keep you posted and when I find it, will let you know
Old 01-30-2021, 06:05 PM

And.... I think I found a solution, will need to look tomorrow morning after tonight's rain.

I think this is something EVERY G-Owner that can't park their trucks indoors does immediately!

But I am deducing that the drains from the actual door under sill have two issues:

1.) They are clogged, and can't move water fast enough, in turn overwhelming the door rubber seal in turn soaking the felt material that then gets too saturated causing water to pool.
if this goes on for hours, like it would during a night of rain it will accumulate a substantial amount of water.

2.) To compound the above, I noticed that the glue that's inside the door from the factory also leaks down the bottom door drains. Cycling through heat and rain causes a 2-3mm build up of glue along the door sill that contacts the rubber surround helping the 1st issue above occur while leaving us stumped.

I've gone through and cleaned all the bottom door drains with the following:
1.) Degreaser
2.) Clean water
3.) Goo- Gone
4.) Rags and a toothbrush

I'll follow back tomorrow morning (fingers crossed for a dry floor)..

Again, I think this is something EVERY G-Owner that can't park their trucks indoors does immediately!

Pics below:

hard top (01-30-2021)
Old 01-30-2021, 06:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Interesting findings and great detective work. While reading the updates, I was going to suggest a temperature variance could open a gap at night but not in the day.
almostordinary (01-30-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 12:54 PM

Decided to loose the spare on the rear door and get that sucker on the roof!

Couldn't wait for a set of pulleys to arrive this weekend so I drank a few espressos and got to work w/ a ratchet.

I'll have a pulley system in storage to help get this down when/if I get a flat that I can't get AAA to help with.

Ordered a Yakima spare carrier that should be here next week, until then just using my HD ratchet straps.

Hoping to get the tire in a position that will allow me to run a Pelican 1750 rifle case for additional roof storage.

Anyone looking for a deal on a rear cargo storage container check out the marketplace or DM me.

Should have some decent pics out on the trails in a few weeks w the full setup.

-Ian
z168 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
3phase-4pole
I didnt think of that. Did you manage to bring it up? you could probably get a long plank of wood and ratchet slide it up there in the meantime

btw an alternative to the plastic hole plugs was using stainless hex bolts. Theyre M10-1.5 if youre curious

Last edited by z168; 02-19-2021 at 02:30 PM.
almostordinary (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 02:31 PM

Oh yea she went up just fine, I pushed it over to the ladder to take some tension off the line and just climbed up the ladder with it while it had the line attached for safety.

Once I get the pulleys getting it down will be a dirty/easy job.

At the moment the tire is in the center of the rack, which limits the pelican case configuration I want, going to play with some configs, likely moving the wheel to the driver's side.

When at full capacity this summer it will be the jerry cans, spare tire, pelican rifle case w supplies and a Gazelle t4 tent bag that we'll be using for ground camping.

The wife and I also decided that we're moving back to California. Either SF or back to LA depending on what companies we decide to talk to... we both really miss that LA weather.

The following 2 users liked this post by almostordinary:
alex92130 (02-23-2021), z168 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 04:55 PM

3phase-4pole
Im curious how the pulleys would look like. post a pic when you have it. How long did you stay in Seatlle?

Are you eventually planning to mount something on the rear door or just keep clean?

Old 02-19-2021, 05:15 PM

Will do, just going to use the pulleys with some clips on the eyelet bolts and let physics do the rest, on the way down I may be perpendicular on one side of the truck or the other so I can control the speed. or I can use ratchet straps as a safety and grab the wheel and walk it down the ladder... slowly.

Been in Seattle since August, working for Microsoft from LA since April.

Need a more fulfilling creative space, may go back to work @ Apple in Cupertino (living in SF) or look at a few studios in LA again. I produce and direct commercials, it's all about the brands and MSFT is not on the cutting edge of storytelling.

Going to keep the rear door clean, the weight of the tire was way too noticeable when driving. No longer having the dead weight at the very back of the truck feels so much better. No door creaking sounds and no jarring when hitting bumps at speed from the back.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:28 PM

3phase-4pole
Thats sounds a hell of a lot more fun than filing state and federal cost reports haha. Must be fun to be so mobile. I'm planted where I am

I agree with the weight and heft of the rear door without the spare.
almostordinary (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:35 PM

Ahhh the old TPS reports LOL!

The hardest thing of 2020 was not traveling to film.

I'm usually in another country or city a dozen times or more a year.

So far everything's been remote or scaled wayyy back. But the film space is definitely opening up a bit, slowly.

z168 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 05:38 PM

And, all holes plugged.

Grabbed this kit from Amazon and used the 1" dia. body plugs.

Amazon Amazon

It's a whole new world seeing all the tiny cars behind me that the rear wheel hid. Holy **** LOL!

z168 (02-19-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 07:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts
2021 G550, BMW X5M, 2020 Toyota Supra LE
I moved a tire to the roof of my H1 for long road trips. Laid a ladder along the side of it and rolled it on or off the roof rack. Went smoothly.

You can see my mad art skills below.

almostordinary (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes GLE
Happy for you! How reliable the car is. I really want one, but will be using it also for day to day commute , 5-10 miles only. how much did you pay for your car. Do you have warranty?
almostordinary (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 01:52 PM

the w463's are extremely reliable, but best to buy one with an extensive history if you go for an older one.

Just start at post 1 to see what I've done to my truck to get a sense of what you're in for.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:12 AM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
Looks great Ian. I loved the look of the G without a tire on the door, but I need to keep it for now until I can get a roof rack and do the same! I was looking at ROAM boxes for the roof as well as Pelican cases.

I would be interested in your rear storage compartment, but will try to make my own non-locking version. I got a semi-rigid tire cover (plastic back, vinyl sides) to fit over my KO2 spare to clean up the rear that should get here today.

Another thing you should look into (since you have a rear pet net and dogs in the rear sometimes) is a rear view mirror screen with rear looking camera (that doubles as a 2-ch dash cam. I got the Vantop H610 off Amazon and it works great. Mounted the rear camera inside under the 3rd brake light and it's a super clear picture out the back of the G. I have this type of system in both of my cars and wouldn't go back to a traditional mirror (definitely helps when the back of the G is fully loaded and you can't see squat!

Last edited by shiann; 02-22-2021 at 12:17 PM.
almostordinary (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shiann
Looks great Ian. I loved the look of the G without a tire on the door, but I need to keep it for now until I can get a roof rack and do the same! I was looking at ROAM boxes for the roof as well as Pelican cases.

I would be interested in your rear storage compartment. LMK but shipping would probably be a killer for something that size from left to right coast. I got a semi-rigid tire cover (plastic back, vinyl sides) to fit over my KO2 spare to clean up the rear that should get here today.

Another thing you should look into (since you have a rear pet net and dogs in the rear sometimes) is a rear view mirror screen with rear looking camera (that doubles as a 2-ch dash cam. I got the Vantop H610 off Amazon and it works great. Mounted the rear camera inside under the 3rd brake light and it's a super clear picture out the back of the G. I have this type of system in both of my cars and wouldn't go back to a traditional mirror (definitely helps when the back of the G is fully loaded and you can't see squat!
I have it for sale on Club G-Wagen for $550/shipped. Give me a shout I can give you a friends and family discount. The uint is pretty interesting in how it brakes down, so shipping is negligible, especially if it's going to a good home.

I'm looking to put a mirror like this in the International Scout I'm building, and have been thinking of one of these w both the rear and forward filming capabilities.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
I have it for sale on Club G-Wagen for $550/shipped. Give me a shout I can give you a friends and family discount. The uint is pretty interesting in how it brakes down, so shipping is negligible, especially if it's going to a good home.

I'm looking to put a mirror like this in the International Scout I'm building, and have been thinking of one of these w both the rear and forward filming capabilities.
I'm going to try to make a storage compartment in the spring for the rear that's non-locking as the semi-rigid cover I am supposed to get today has a locking provision. If I change my mind I'll let you know!

The rear view mirror is great, and honestly, the Vantop being so cheap is a no-brainer to me. The dual-channel dashcam is an added plus on top of it all. The install is a bit of a pain but nothing out of what you would expect, and it doesn't work all that well at night, but I plan to install a pair of Diode Dynamics SSC2 Flood light pods in the rear fog/reverse light positions with a red backlight, so 'rear fogs' always on, and a crazy bright flood reverse light.
almostordinary (02-22-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E class W212 Estate
Sills

Hi

working through diagnosing the same issue at the moment.

can I ask how you removed the metal door sills (the ones with the AMG logo)? So they just pull up - I can’t see any bolts etc

thanks.

And.... I think I found a solution, will need to look tomorrow morning after tonight's rain.

I think this is something EVERY G-Owner that can't park their trucks indoors does immediately!

But I am deducing that the drains from the actual door under sill have two issues:

1.) They are clogged, and can't move water fast enough, in turn overwhelming the door rubber seal in turn soaking the felt material that then gets too saturated causing water to pool.
if this goes on for hours, like it would during a night of rain it will accumulate a substantial amount of water.

2.) To compound the above, I noticed that the glue that's inside the door from the factory also leaks down the bottom door drains. Cycling through heat and rain causes a 2-3mm build up of glue along the door sill that contacts the rubber surround helping the 1st issue above occur while leaving us stumped.

I've gone through and cleaned all the bottom door drains with the following:
1.) Degreaser
2.) Clean water
3.) Goo- Gone
4.) Rags and a toothbrush

I'll follow back tomorrow morning (fingers crossed for a dry floor)..

Again, I think this is something EVERY G-Owner that can't park their trucks indoors does immediately!

Pics below:

Old 03-30-2021, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by colinryan
Hi

working through diagnosing the same issue at the moment.

can I ask how you removed the metal door sills (the ones with the AMG logo)? So they just pull up - I can’t see any bolts etc

thanks.
Yea no bolts, I used an interior parts prying tool.

Something like the larger one in this set, just pry it up. When you go to put it back in, just reconnect the wire, put it in the channel and use the bottom of your palm to get it back in the channel it sits in.

Amazon Amazon

I didn't fully resolve my issue. Think it's the window seal after talking to a few more G guys in the PNW area. I just have been using a big truck cover when the G55 isn't in use.

Planning a move back to LA this summer so likely will hold on fully repairing for a while since it's a moot point once back in LA.
colinryan (04-05-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 08:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Volt
Oh yea she went up just fine, I pushed it over to the ladder to take some tension off the line and just climbed up the ladder with it while it had the line attached for safety.

Once I get the pulleys getting it down will be a dirty/easy job.

At the moment the tire is in the center of the rack, which limits the pelican case configuration I want, going to play with some configs, likely moving the wheel to the driver's side.

When at full capacity this summer it will be the jerry cans, spare tire, pelican rifle case w supplies and a Gazelle t4 tent bag that we'll be using for ground camping.

The wife and I also decided that we're moving back to California. Either SF or back to LA depending on what companies we decide to talk to... we both really miss that LA weather.
Looking good. I lived in Redmond and worked for the same company for 14 years, first 3 were contracting. The longest sunny streak up there was about 4 weeks of consecutive daily sunshine, lol. I don't blame you for leaving. Check out the Hoh Rain Forest before you go. The moss is absolutely amazing, just bring rain gear, lol.
almostordinary (03-31-2021)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally found My G - So It Begins