G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Road Trip Suggestions (East Coast)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 11:22 PM

Received 453 Likes on 274 Posts
2005 G55K
Road Trip Suggestions (East Coast)

I'll be driving back up to NJ from Florida in a few weeks and wanted to see who else has done the drive in the past, and what some good spots are to stop along the way. I'll be doing this trip several times a year for the foreseeable future so wanted to start building a list of best routes to get down here and back, as well as things to see along the way. The plan is to break the trip down into 2-3 days, so detours off 95 are welcome.

I'll be traveling with the wife and toddler, boy aged 2, so trying to figure out where the best places to visit/stop to 'rest' and spend the night during the trip.

If anyone could make suggestions for some fun light offroading adventures to take the G-wagon on along the way it would also be much appreciated! Mountain climbs, scenic lookouts, beach drives, etc. I wasn't able to take the G55 down this trip down (thank you NJ Motor Vehicles), but will in the future.

Honestly, if anyone has ANY suggestions across the country worth visiting, I will add that to the map/list as well.

So far these past few years, I've only had the opportunity to explore around California, The Grand Canyon Nevada/Utah/Arizona area, central Colorado, and the Northeast. Looking to see more of the country and put many miles on the G-wagon.

Any and all suggestions welcome!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Oh man,

I used to do that drive from NYC to Tampa every holiday season to go back home.... It is literally one of the most uninspiring drives I've ever done. I usually had a case of redbull and just got it done in one shot to get it over with.

Once you hit the bridges in Delaware the rest of the trip is flat, mostly straight and flanked by trees.

The only thing I ever look forward to is seeing "South of the Border" once you cross the NC/SC line. It just lets me know I'm just 8hrs away from my parent's house.

There are some trails in NC/Tennessee if you want to veer off to the west a bit if you're looking to add some days to the trip.

When I moved from NYC to LA we stopped in Vail for a night which I wanted to explore more, then we hit Moab the next day. Def want to take the truck out there.

If you're looking to camp there could be some great lakes / rivers that may have drive in camping on the east coast.

Quite a few years back I did an ad campaign with Chase bank and Roadtrippers for a cross country commercial.

The site is really good to help plan out exciting ways to travel the US and has a lot of knowledgable people that can share their experiences.
https://roadtrippers.com/

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2020, 10:36 AM

Received 453 Likes on 274 Posts
2005 G55K
Originally Posted by almostordinary
Oh man,

I used to do that drive from NYC to Tampa every holiday season to go back home.... It is literally one of the most uninspiring drives I've ever done. I usually had a case of redbull and just got it done in one shot to get it over with.

Once you hit the bridges in Delaware the rest of the trip is flat, mostly straight and flanked by trees.

The only thing I ever look forward to is seeing "South of the Border" once you cross the NC/SC line. It just lets me know I'm just 8hrs away from my parent's house.

There are some trails in NC/Tennessee if you want to veer off to the west a bit if you're looking to add some days to the trip.

When I moved from NYC to LA we stopped in Vail for a night which I wanted to explore more, then we hit Moab the next day. Def want to take the truck out there.

If you're looking to camp there could be some great lakes / rivers that may have drive in camping on the east coast.

Quite a few years back I did an ad campaign with Chase bank and Roadtrippers for a cross country commercial.

The site is really good to help plan out exciting ways to travel the US and has a lot of knowledgable people that can share their experiences.
https://roadtrippers.com/

Good luck!
South of the Boarder! Haha! Saw that and was so confused if it was an amusement park, mall, carnival, or other.

Thanks for pointing me to roadtrippers. I'll take a look and add to my list since 16+ hours in the car with a toddler in a car seat are a no-go. Otherwise, the wife and I would just tough it out without stopping.

One day, I want to take a roadtrip over to the west coast, hit all the canyons and mountains in Arizona/Utah/New Mexico/Nevada/Colorado again, slowly crawl up California and see everything there again, Head up to Oregon and Washington, high tail it over to Montana and Wyoming, visit family in Kansas, detour up through Banff and other areas with our Canadian neighbors, then finish out the trip somehow. That would be a dream and a 1-2 month thing I will try to take next time I switch jobs.
The following users liked this post:
almostordinary (06-18-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 05:02 PM

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 S63 4D, 2015 G63, 2017 Macan Turbo, 2001 M5
Check out roadtrippers.com. I used it when I drove my wrangler to each corner of the US 3 years ago. Great for planning the road trip and mileages.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Pick up 301 off I-95, which goes through VA and MD...much better than I-95 for a while!