G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Put a deposit on a 2021 G550 for October delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 568 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Put a deposit on a 2021 G550 for October delivery

I usually keep vehicles around 5-6 years and under 100,000 miles, so as I'm approaching 80k in my vehicle I'm starting to look around. I've always wanted is a G550 but have never been able to drive one. That changed this week after a local dealer received two (still) unsold G550s - a black one for $131k with no options, and a graphite metallic with night AMG package for $155k. They were fine with my test driving them even with the plastic still on the seats. After the test drive, I was sold. I put a $1,000 refundable deposit down on the next available allocation which is their first one for MY2021, scheduled for September build and October delivery. The dealership chain has a policy to always sell new vehicles at MSRP, but just in case I did get it in writing. Hopefully there's only one price increase between now and October.

A few thoughts/dilemmas:
-Adaptive suspension - decided for now to pass on it but already second guessing whether to do it. I've read some threads and reviews about it and it seems like some think it's mandatory while others felt like it wasn't a big deal. I couldn't really tell a difference on my short test drives, and I wonder if it's just another thing down the road to break and replace.
-Wheels - Torn between going with 18" rims, going with the free 8 spoke 19" and looking for take offs or aftermarket options, or getting AMG night package for the new for 2021 20" 5 spoke options. I do wonder how the on-road feel of the 18" will be with the Falken tires, but I do think it looks great in photos.
-Tuning - tempted to look into a RennTech tune but need to see if the dealer is okay with it from a warranty perspective as I know some are okay with it and some are not.
-Bull bar - undecided whether to take it off and join the "what do I do with these holes" crowd or keep it and get it and the spare tire rim powdercoated black. If I get the AMG package I'll keep it on.
-Brake dust - how is the brake dust and squealing with Mercedes pads? OEM Land Rover pads are horrible with dust so I switched to aftermarket ceramic pads which I was much happier with.
-Windshield - does Exoshield seem to help? I called my insurance company and windshields are considered collision in NC, so I would pay only my deductible per occurrence.
-Insurance - I have USAA and it's $1000 a year to cover the G550. However, the biggest issue is that they only allow $100,000 max coverage for uninsured motorists which is problematic should there be such an accident. Umbrella won't cover it so I'm going to start shopping around for supplemental uninsured motorist coverage.
-Coverings - I'll definitely get ceramic coating. I've had clear bras on my last two vehicles and each time wonder if it's worth the cost. Probably will get front coverage at least.

In terms of customization beyond what I've stated, I'll likely get the brake calipers painted red and leave the rest alone.

Here's how it looks for now. I have the same red on red colorway for my 2016 Range Rover Sport. It may sound silly, but one of the reasons I'm not going to consider a new Range Rover is the fact that I couldn't get red on red without breaking the bank, and for that amount I might as well get a G, right?!?

The following users liked this post:
FatTony001 (06-20-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
Good choice. Start reading the threads here and see if some of your questions can be answered, which I am sure they will be. I did just that and I was able to determine exactly what to order on mine, along with a couple follow up posts. There is really a lot of information here but it does not always jump out, and reading the threads will give you a lot of information that you have not even thought about. I will help you with one of your questions, about insurance. I can get USAA but I am sticking with Progressive since they cover my other vehicles and home, with great rates (better than USAA by far).
Old 06-20-2020, 04:21 PM

Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts
mclaren 720s
congrats... looks great. the 2021’s wont arrive in october. there are 2020’s still arriving on in september... 21’s arrive in november/december

Old 06-20-2020, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spourreza
congrats... looks great. the 2021’s wont arrive in october. there are 2020’s still arriving on in september... 21’s arrive in november/december
Correct, which I stated already...the first 2020s started arriving in the US last year in Dec.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Thanks for the information. Already since posting I'm leaning towards getting adaptive dampers and going for the AMG night package with 20" rims. Hopefully the online configurator will get updated soon with the 2021 specs and pricing.

And yes I'm starting to think the dealer is optimistic but I'm not in a super rush. Still really enjoying my Sport for now.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Hodog16
Thanks for the information. Already since posting I'm leaning towards getting adaptive dampers and going for the AMG night package with 20" rims. Hopefully the online configurator will get updated soon with the 2021 specs and pricing.

And yes I'm starting to think the dealer is optimistic but I'm not in a super rush. Still really enjoying my Sport for now.
It took a LONG time before the online configurator went live for 2020 so I suspect the same will be true this year. With the exception of a few new colors and a couple wheel choices they are the same so you may be able to build and see what you want. As a heads-up the exterior colors are a not accurate representations of what they actually look like, especially for colors other than black, white, silver or gray. You can look for Google images of other colors albeit you may not find them in a G Class.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:30 AM

mclaren 720s

good choice on adaptives...before i switched to G63, my 550 build had that... it was a must especially if you drive sports cars... also good call on AMG night package.... i got that on my diamond white G63...

if you have some wiggle room, definitely opt for carbon fiber trim...
Old 06-21-2020, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
Looking at more pictures online, I think I'm going to change the wood to metal weave and do the poor man's carbon fiber haha. I liked the matte wood in isolation, but I think the brown would clash with the red seats. Also, the problem is the more options I add to the G550, the closer I get to my G63 build, which is very spartan. I basically do cardinal red, comfort seat and go with the base rims and free classic red interior to end up at $161k.

Right now I'm about $12k less with my G550 build (which is still a chunk of change but relatively speaking not a huge leap), but I think I'm quickly stretching my comfort level. Not to mention the G63 has a black hole of a waiting list whereas the G550 is a sure thing for this winter. The salesperson couldn't give me a time frame, but I'll call tomorrow and see if he can ask the sales manager to get an exact number on the list.
Old 06-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Brake dust on German cars are pretty bad.

Tune will cause warranty issues unless you have an understanding or good relationship with the service department. Even then, that is more of a "we'll look the other way when reporting warranty claims to corporate" and less of a genuine green light.

October delivery is unlikely. Stateside manufactured new model cars get first delivery in October. German manufactured models need a month extra for transportation.

G550 adaptive suspension is just dampers, it's not an air suspension, which are much less reliable. Get it.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 G63
I figured. This will be my first German car and a great way to get into the brand. I'll have to search if there are any aftermarket ceramic brake pads that will fit - these aren't the same as the ceramic brakes AMG and Porsche use but just have much less dust than OEM. Lots of us over on the Rover boards swear by them.

Agree I think I'll pass on the tune for now. I did one on my Sport but that was 3 years into ownership when I felt the vehicle was pretty reliable at that point.

Here's a bad photoshop of what my build looks like currently. I really like these rims - same as the ones on the GLS but in a smaller diameter.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:16 PM

mclaren 720s
Looking at more pictures online, I think I'm going to change the wood to metal weave and do the poor man's carbon fiber haha. I liked the matte wood in isolation, but I think the brown would clash with the red seats. Also, the problem is the more options I add to the G550, the closer I get to my G63 build, which is very spartan. I basically do cardinal red, comfort seat and go with the base rims and free classic red interior to end up at $161k.

Right now I'm about $12k less with my G550 build (which is still a chunk of change but relatively speaking not a huge leap), but I think I'm quickly stretching my comfort level. Not to mention the G63 has a black hole of a waiting list whereas the G550 is a sure thing for this winter. The salesperson couldn't give me a time frame, but I'll call tomorrow and see if he can ask the sales manager to get an exact number on the list.
my prior G550 order got very close to 63 (168k) but didnt want to wait just like you... i got lucky and got my dream spec G63 for another 40k from someone that bailed because of covid which includes 15k markup... i got very lucky as it ticked every box. my opinion, build your 550 as close to a G68 and tune it with rentech... the dealers will turn an eye! sounds like you have a great spec!!!! awesome work on it.
Old 06-22-2020, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I figured. This will be my first German car and a great way to get into the brand. I'll have to search if there are any aftermarket ceramic brake pads that will fit - these aren't the same as the ceramic brakes AMG and Porsche use but just have much less dust than OEM. Lots of us over on the Rover boards swear by them.

Agree I think I'll pass on the tune for now. I did one on my Sport but that was 3 years into ownership when I felt the vehicle was pretty reliable at that point.

Here's a bad photoshop of what my build looks like currently. I really like these rims - same as the ones on the GLS but in a smaller diameter.

Keep us posted on what you find about ceramic pads. I contacted Centric and they do not have any yet. In regards to colors though I will stay out of it - too personal!