G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Upcoming 2020 G63 Delivery...Couple of Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 04:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M5
Upcoming 2020 G63 Delivery...Couple of Questions

I finally joined the forum after lurking for a little while. I ordered a 2020 G63 in August of last year and am finally taking delivery sometime in July (car is at the port in Germany according to the dealer). I got the car at MSRP and spec'ed it out to mine and my wife's liking (it will be her daily driver). However, the past couple of months have been tough for business as mine is dependent on both the secondary credit markets and the real estate market. I anticipate this turning around over the next couple of months but am having second thoughts about actually buying the car when it arrives. I'm hoping you guys can help me out by providing some answers and thoughts to the below questions.
  1. If I take delivery and decide to sell the car after a couple of months, will I take a big hit? I've seen various threads on here discussing the market for these and how they're not commanding the huge mark-up they did a year ago. Thoughts?
  2. Curious about your thoughts on the build (see below).
  3. I drove a 2020 G550 but haven't driven the G63...is it a significant step up?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 06-28-2020, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 460 Likes on 375 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
You can spec a G550 inside just about identically as a G63 and main difference is the engine - much faster! If you do not put a lot of miles on it in a few months you can probably sell it for what you plan to pay; however, I assume you would lose the sales tax you pay (depending on your situation). The build is nice and it will not deter someone that is looking from buying.
Old 06-28-2020, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 568 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
I'm not really up on the used G63 market but I do know there's still a significant wait to order them at the dealers, over a year due to allocations.

I think if you are realistic with selling it you should be fine. Anything under MSRP will sell very quickly and your chances of breaking even or even making some money is realistic depending on how many miles are on it.

It's the people who are listing used G63's for $225k who I believe will be disappointed with how the market on used G63s is going.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
G
  1. If I take delivery and decide to sell the car after a couple of months, will I take a big hit? I've seen various threads on here discussing the market for these and how they're not commanding the huge mark-up they did a year ago. Thoughts? No, you won't take a "big" hit.
  2. Curious about your thoughts on the build (see below). Build looks very good!
  3. I drove a 2020 G550 but haven't driven the G63...is it a significant step up? The G63 is where the hype is. Between the hand built engine, side exhausts and overall power/speed.....it's really a game changer!
Old 06-28-2020, 08:56 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
A used 2019 G63 with a few thousand miles can still transact at $5-$10K easily if sold by a dealer. However, private sales are much harder since vast majority of G63 buyers finance through dealers.

A dealer will likely offer you $10K-$15K under sticker for your car as trade with under 2000 miles if the car is 2 months old. Factor in the lost sales tax, and I think that is a reasonable "worst case scenario".

Personally, I wouldn't do it if you already know you are only going to keep it for two months. It's a nice car but it's not "spend $15K / month to drive" nice.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:52 PM

BMW M5
Thanks for the quick replies guys - This is all very helpful. I'm not planning on selling the car within the first couple of months but was just trying to figure out the worst case scenario. Based on the replies, the worst case doesn't seem to be so bad so that puts my mind at ease and I will plan on taking delivery!

Does anyone have any good pictures of the black piano lacquer? I can't seem to find any good pics online.

On a separate note, I appreciate you guys and everyone on this forum. The past couple of months have been strange to say the least, and it's very encouraging and meaningful (at least to me) that you guys are willing to take time out of your lives to help answer these kinds of questions and asking for nothing in return! Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
G
Originally Posted by Peterchrs
Thanks for the quick replies guys - This is all very helpful. I'm not planning on selling the car within the first couple of months but was just trying to figure out the worst case scenario. Based on the replies, the worst case doesn't seem to be so bad so that puts my mind at ease and I will plan on taking delivery!

Does anyone have any good pictures of the black piano lacquer? I can't seem to find any good pics online.

On a separate note, I appreciate you guys and everyone on this forum. The past couple of months have been strange to say the least, and it's very encouraging and meaningful (at least to me) that you guys are willing to take time out of your lives to help answer these kinds of questions and asking for nothing in return! Thanks again.
I just posted some pics of my new 2020 G63 in the forum. Here is a pic of the piano black trim. Looks amazing just gets scratched really really easy.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:05 PM

BMW M5
That looks awesome, thanks for sharing! Enjoy it.