G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Please help me make an educated pick on a G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:06 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
I found this one the other day and it is overpriced a little bit, but looks very good overall.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...paign=atempest
The following 3 users liked this post by shiann:
almostordinary (07-06-2020), Floobydust (07-06-2020), Lawrence1 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by shiann
I found this one the other day and it is overpriced a little bit, but looks very good overall.

love this color combo with the piano black interior trim.
The following users liked this post:
almostordinary (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 05:07 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55

Wow! Love this truck.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 S2000

I like this one, but the Carfax looks weak, doesn't it? No oil change records between 11k and 51k miles. Just generally very spotty service history, right from the start? Shouldn't Gs typically have a pretty strong service history for at least the first 50k miles?
Old 07-06-2020, 07:11 PM

2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by limenuke
I like this one, but the Carfax looks weak, doesn't it? No oil change records between 11k and 51k miles. Just generally very spotty service history, right from the start? Shouldn't Gs typically have a pretty strong service history for at least the first 50k miles?
Looks fine to me. Just because services aren't on the carfax, doesn't mean they haven't been done. These cars are getting up there in age (10+ years old!), and many g wagons have changed hands multiple times, as you've probably noticed. Unless you find one from an original owner, who kept all the records, chances are you won't be getting much in the way of records with whatever you end up buying. Be prepared to spend the money to baseline fluids, filters, etc upon purchase, regardless of what you think you're buying.

This particular car, is a previously MB certified, CA car in a very unique color combo. The color is actually designo graphite metallic, not flint gray and it also has the designo interior, with the piano black trim (also very rare). Lastly, it's a 2011, which is the last year for the G55K. Checks a lot of boxes if you know what you're looking at.

The question is, are you looking to buy one, or just kicking tires? Because you can nit pick any used car, if you really aren't a buyer. The problem you'll run into if you aren't just a window shopper is that well cared for, rust free, accident free, nicely spec'ed G wagons are not dime a dozen, and you certainly won't find anyone giving them away.

Last edited by Lawrence1; 07-06-2020 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:20 PM

Also to add, what @Lawrence1 stated above.

If you find the one you really want, be ready to jump quick. Because the good ones will move quickly.

I had two G550s slip through because I was still browsing.

When I found my G55 it was peak COVID, I called the dealer who didn't answer, I drove there before they closed, scheduled a test drive the very next morning and within an hour I had my keys to my truck... As I was pulling off the lot another guy was pulling in to inquire about it.
Lawrence1 (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 07:23 PM

2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by almostordinary
Also to add, what @Lawrence1 stated above.

If you find the one you really want, be ready to jump quick. Because the good ones will move quickly.

I had two G550s slip through because I was still browsing.

When I found my G55 it was peak COVID, I called the dealer who didn't answer, I drove there before they closed, scheduled a test drive the very next morning and within an hour I had my keys to my truck... As I was pulling off the lot another guy was pulling in to inquire about it.
my experience mirrors yours in terms of how fast some of these move. I certainly did not expect it when I started looking.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 S2000
Originally Posted by Lawrence1
Looks fine to me. Just because services aren't on the carfax, doesn't mean they haven't been done. These cars are getting up there in age (10+ years old!), and many g wagons have changed hands multiple times, as you've probably noticed. Unless you find one from an original owner, who kept all the records, chances are you won't be getting much in the way of records with whatever you end up buying. Be prepared to spend the money to baseline fluids, filters, etc upon purchase, regardless of what you think you're buying.

This particular car, is a previously MB certified, CA car in a very unique color combo. The color is actually designo graphite metallic, not flint gray and it also has the designo interior, with the piano black trim (also very rare). Lastly, it's a 2011, which is the last year for the G55K. Checks a lot of boxes if you know what you're looking at.

The question is, are you looking to buy one, or just kicking tires? Because you can nit pick any used car, if you really aren't a buyer. The problem you'll run into if you aren't just a window shopper is that well cared for, rust free, accident free, nicely spec'ed G wagons are not dime a dozen, and you certainly won't find anyone giving them away.
I think I'm looking to buy, but it's not a NEED for me. I also don't feel that I know enough right now to jump right in. I'm still looking for common failure points on these cars. Rust seems like a big thing as well.

It looks like that car went off market shortly after your initial post, but it's been relisted.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6804/overview/
Old 07-20-2020, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I think I'm looking to buy, but it's not a NEED for me. I also don't feel that I know enough right now to jump right in. I'm still looking for common failure points on these cars. Rust seems like a big thing as well.

It looks like that car went off market shortly after your initial post, but it's been relisted.

As I have said before, patience is a virtue and knowledge is king when it comes to the G - take your time, learn, and find the right truck, especially since it is a want and not a need. Just my 2¢ worth.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:58 PM

Agree w Floobydust.

That truck does look stellar, year, exterior color and interior color... amazing.

A hair over the miles my 08 G55 has, and my silver is finally a color I am glad I have.

If it's not something you really need, or have a goal/plan in mind for it enhancing your life... just keep looking.

I honestly was considering another Land Rover flavor, even after I read up on the G55's and got a lot of great insight from the forum members here in the W463 section.

What caught my eye was finding some insanely gorgeous examples of overland capable trucks and seeing that there were some great vendors and users that built their trucks up for that use.

Once I knew that it would satisfy that need, plus the aesthetics and capabilities I knew I "needed" a w463, my flavor just happened to turn out to be a G55k.

Keep up the search and find what purpose the truck will serve for you then pull the trigger.... but don't window shop too long as these trucks (especially a great example in the link above) don't always surface in the trim / options you may want.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2020, 09:55 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K

Like the others have said, take your time to do your reading and research, and make sure the G is what you're looking for in a truck. Test drive a few also since there seems to be a very definitive line between those who love the truck and hate it. Then see what is out there and continually look, but when you find one that meets all of your criteria: model, miles, color, year, options (there really aren't that many), condition, cost, and location, be ready to jump in quickly since they usually don't last long.

Finding a perfect condition G55 is a little more difficult since they are 10-15 year old trucks now, but they are out there, and their prices usually reflect that. If you're willing/wanting to put in the time and $ to bring one back to the 'perfect' side of the spectrum, those are more easily found at a 'good' price, but of course they do come with their challenges.

As for the above 2011, I think a fair price would be in the low $50k range if it is as 'perfect' as they are representing the service records are complete and up to date.

Last edited by shiann; 07-20-2020 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
18 G550, 18 C350e
Check out this 2003 G55 - really low miles in a very classic color combo. I saw a G55 roll by the other day in the city - it sounds mean even just moving at 20mph

You gotta check history and look for rust yourself but if it’s lived in AZ all it’s live under a garage it’s probably a dry car! Those seats look like new!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=25
Old 07-25-2020, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Holson
Check out this 2003 G55 - really low miles in a very classic color combo. I saw a G55 roll by the other day in the city - it sounds mean even just moving at 20mph

You gotta check history and look for rust yourself but if it’s lived in AZ all it’s live under a garage it’s probably a dry car! Those seats look like new!

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...#&gid=1&pid=25
Woah that thing is a time capsule. Only thing that would be a downside would be not having the G55k (kompressor), IIRC the supercharger was introduced on the 2005 model.

At that price you could get a later model G500 or G550 if you don't want the supercharged motor.