G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Please help me make an educated pick on a G.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 01:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 S2000
Please help me make an educated pick on a G.

Hello G enthusiasts. I'm looking for a G463, specifically the G55 AMG (I was originally looking for an E55 AMG and I grew to love that car's engine for its power delivery + reliability). The E class specifically also had relatively simple air suspension compared to the SL55 and S55 of that generation - making it much easier to maintain. I'm now looking for the most reliable variant of a G wagon that I can grab for 50k USD or under. I see cars at 80k-130k miles around this price range.

What I know about the G's is this:
- Oil cooler gasket leaks
- PCV Valve Leak
- Oil Filter Housing Gasket leaks
- Door Handle malfunction
- Window regulator issues

I'm still trying to collect more information on what maintenance to look out for and what common issues plague these cars. I've heard certain years of 7 speed transmissions are troublesome, but I haven't figured out which years of cars are issue-prone. Could someone help provide some resources? I have and will continue to do forum searching, but I'd obviously appreciate the help of some of you experienced folks out here.

EDIT:
I've seen some threads like this but they weren't particularly informative for my use case here.
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...liability.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/g55-amg-w...liability.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...5-journey.html

Last edited by limenuke; 07-03-2020 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
I got a one owner 2008 G55, while I was looking for G500s and G550s with the later interior 2009+. The G55 blew me away with it's maintenance history, mileage, single owner, and it was a Florida truck (no rust).

I am building my truck up into an overlanding / offroad truck that I will also DD. So my needs and things I've addressed may not be what you'll need to address, but all things worth looking at when buying your truck.

You can see all of the work I've done here just to get an idea of what you need to look at
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...so-begins.html

Engine:
I am just about due for my service C, so going in for an oil change fluid checks and changing filters here soon.
I haven't had to do anything to the motor of this truck. It is stout.

Suspension:
The G55 Suspension belongs on a tractor. It is not comfortable or "luxurious", it bucks like a bronco over bumps and is just plain harsh.

Upgrade route:
- Find used G550/G500 suspension or just buy new components for those models, I've heard it is much better
- Lift: I went with the Fox 2.0 Shocks and Thor Springs. The truck is a dream to drive

Wheels:
- My wheels on my truck were a mismatched set, didn't notice when I purchased, so that's on me. ****ing dealer. But anyway
- I upgraded to BFG KO2s and love them, for more stock tires on the G55 I believe there are only two widely available options, I'll need someone to chime in here

Steering:
Check all of the steering components, all the boots, all the linkages. There are two main steering bars, one before the front axle and one behind.
My truck, with only 60k on the clock, had both components go bad due to blown grease boots.

Swivel Ball Joints:
I have had to regrease these, there's a pretty long thread on these here that is just from this week
https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...lp-normal.html

Mine were caked up so I cleaned and serviced them, not a problem since.

Interior:
This is where you will spend most of your time, unless you're like me and it's half in the truck and the other half underneath it.

The 2009+ models have the "later" W211 interiors, refreshed AC controls and COMAND radio unit. As well as the newer seats which have AC and Heat.
My 2008 has the older interior unfortunately. I really like it, but my 2007 E63 has the newer interior and it's weird switching vehicles. The 2008 G55 seats are like mini sofas and super comfortable, so you will need to keep this in mind.

Headliner:
My headliner was on the way out so I went down that rabbit hole, and now have a fully swapped black suede headliner and interior, just waiting for my new black sunvisors next week and it will be done.

Windows/Sun roof:
You will definitely want to play with all the switches in the trruck and give the windows a good whirl to make sure everything is fuctioning.

Locks:
Same with the locks... if there is a button on the dash or the doors use them when you're inspecting the truck.

One thing to note w the G55, the supercharged engine was introduced in 2005 I believe. When I first started looking I was blown away by the "affordability" of the 2004 and earlier G55s.

If you find a G500/G550 that ticks all of your boxes, do not shy away from them either. They are all great trucks! Sometimes I think I have too much power with the G55, and that's not a good thing.

Put your *** in some seats and find the right one for you.

If you find any online feel free to post them up here, which is what I did when I first started learning about these trucks and got some great insight from the members here on MBW.

Good luck,
Ian

Edit: I see you referenced Shiann's post in your OP he has some great info throughout that post!
Old 07-03-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
Nice! Welcome and best of luck in your search! You should be able to find some really good examples of G55k's in the mid-40 range. Where in the country are you located?

Best advice I would have is you have to go see any truck you're interested in in person. Go over the whole thing with a fine toothed comb - check for any and all rust under the truck, around windshields, all around the doors, on all parts of the bumpers. Other than what you stated, maintenance records are important to know what you'll have to do immediately such as oil/fluid services, as well as normal service. Most of these trucks don't see much driving time and maintenance may have been deferred. Get paint thickness readings all over to make sure there is not paintwork,even if it looks flawless and carfax shows no accidents.

Second thing would be take your time finding the perfect truck for you. There are now a lot more on the market compared to back 6 months ago.
The following users liked this post:
almostordinary (07-03-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 01:31 AM

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Rust! So much rust I made a thread about it!

Problem areas include the metal surrounding the moonroof, the metal underneath the front windscreen, the door sills and the rear door hinges.

If you end up buying one, here are some ways to prevent/slow its progress:

~Garage your G and run a large dehumidifier in your garage. Place a fan under the car to dry the underside and one in front and back to try the windscreen and rear door hinges. This will help to remove excess moisture from hard to reach areas that may normally trap water.
~Use a corrosion inhibiting oil: I inject WD40 rust preventative behind the weather stripping on the front windscreen every few months, coat the moonroof surround, the door hinges and the gaskets surrounding the rear door hinges. I'd suggest using LPS twice a year on the chassis.
~Learn how to properly wash your car. Be sure to wash road salt off ASAP. Consider using a baking soda and water solution as a salt neutralizing pre-soak before you wash the car.
almostordinary (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 GLE350, 2014 G550, 2000 SL500, 1980 TR8, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
I would get a PPI at an MB dealer or good Indy with a Star system and have them check:
  • All stored codes within the StarSDS/Xentry system
  • Center drive shaft boots for cracking/tearing or excessive play in the CV joints
  • Front/Rear drive shaft U-joints
  • Swipe seals for excessive grease which may indicate a bad CV boot
  • Transfer case shift motor - stored codes with Star system?
  • Differential locks for full functionality
  • Pinion seals for leakage
  • Transfer case seals for leakage
  • Front drag links (rubber boots fail)
  • All four windows for proper up/down operation with no noises. This especially important on the earlier Gs as they had a different regulator mechanism that was weaker and also NLA (it is possible to adapt the new style to the old doors)
  • The stereo sub-woofer and all four door speakers (they work hard on a G)
  • Rust, especially on the spring perches and shock mounts, but on the body panels and windshield as well.
  • Service history

Keep in mind that:

'02 - '12 G55s used the very reliable M113/722.6 based drive train.
Early MBUSA G55s simply had a 5.4 liter motor, the supercharged M113K came in '04
'02 - '08 Gs had a hitch provision, '09-'12 did not, '13 up did again.

The following 2 users liked this post by Floobydust:
almostordinary (07-04-2020), JD101b (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 10:47 AM

Good info.

Quick aside...love the E320 cab...my dad has one in storage. Great cars. How id yours treating you?
Old 07-04-2020, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JD101b
Good info.

Quick aside...love the E320 cab...my dad has one in storage. Great cars. How id yours treating you?
Loving my cabrio too! So far, it has been good to me. I've been through it and sorted all the usual trouble spots (ecco junk wiring, suspension parts, hydraulic cylinders, etc.) but I do somewhat live in fear of some of the NLA cabrio specific modules failing. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

The following 3 users liked this post by Floobydust:
almostordinary (07-04-2020), pdeacon (07-04-2020), shiann (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 01:24 PM

Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Originally Posted by Floobydust
Loving my cabrio too! So far, it has been good to me. I've been through it and sorted all the usual trouble spots (ecco junk wiring, suspension parts, hydraulic cylinders, etc.) but I do somewhat live in fear of some of the NLA cabrio specific modules failing. I guess I'll just have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

I had one of these...a '95 black on black. Pretty much trouble free. Owned it for ten years which is a long time for me. Have a friend who has the twin to your car. So I do get to see one from time to time. Nice wheels!!
Old 07-04-2020, 02:05 PM

Looks great!

The only two issues my dad has had are a drooping rear headliner and the rear roll bar switch falling into the console.
Old 07-04-2020, 04:58 PM

04 S2000
Thank you everyone. Considering that there was a significant # of posts from people talking about wanting G's that largely went by dry, I am floored at the responses here.
I'm located in California, on the West coast. My search radius is about the entire west coast at the moment.

I've actually had a very hard time finding used G55s, but maybe I should be looking at G500/G550.
Yes it seems like rust is a significant issue, and easily costs thousands to repair. I should definitely spend some time looking for issues related to that, but I'm not often concerned since any car in California or around the west coast seems to fare better without the salt. How do cares in Seattle fare?
Headliners do seem like a common issue on these trucks as well. What's an appropriate amount to budget to fix that?

Yeah, I think taking the car to an indy with a Star system might be a great choice. I've definitely burnt money on inspections in the past that were fruitful, so I guess this is just a part of the cost.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

To start my search off, I've found this. 94k miles, owner is asking 52k. I feel like perusing these threads, I've found that a car like this should be in the mid 40s instead of low 50s. Owner says rear left window regulator is going out and he has a new part coming in this coming week. He also said he had all 4 suspension struts replaced recently. Car was originally sold in Florida, moved to Texas, then California. Unfortunately, he's only posted it on facebook marketplace which is a shady place to buy cars.
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...67760156724895

I would get a PPI at an MB dealer or good Indy with a Star system and have them check:
  • All stored codes within the StarSDS/Xentry system
  • Center drive shaft boots for cracking/tearing or excessive play in the CV joints
  • Front/Rear drive shaft U-joints
  • Swipe seals for excessive grease which may indicate a bad CV boot
  • Transfer case shift motor - stored codes with Star system?
  • Differential locks for full functionality
  • Pinion seals for leakage
  • Transfer case seals for leakage
  • Front drag links (rubber boots fail)
  • All four windows for proper up/down operation with no noises. This especially important on the earlier Gs as they had a different regulator mechanism that was weaker and also NLA (it is possible to adapt the new style to the old doors)
  • The stereo sub-woofer and all four door speakers (they work hard on a G)
  • Rust, especially on the spring perches and shock mounts, but on the body panels and windshield as well.
  • Service history

Keep in mind that:

'02 - '12 G55s used the very reliable M113/722.6 based drive train.
Early MBUSA G55s simply had a 5.4 liter motor, the supercharged M113K came in '04
'02 - '08 Gs had a hitch provision, '09-'12 did not, '13 up did again.
Originally Posted by JD101b
Rust! So much rust I made a thread about it!

Problem areas include the metal surrounding the moonroof, the metal underneath the front windscreen, the door sills and the rear door hinges.

If you end up buying one, here are some ways to prevent/slow its progress:

~Garage your G and run a large dehumidifier in your garage. Place a fan under the car to dry the underside and one in front and back to try the windscreen and rear door hinges. This will help to remove excess moisture from hard to reach areas that may normally trap water.
~Use a corrosion inhibiting oil: I inject WD40 rust preventative behind the weather stripping on the front windscreen every few months, coat the moonroof surround, the door hinges and the gaskets surrounding the rear door hinges. I'd suggest using LPS twice a year on the chassis.
~Learn how to properly wash your car. Be sure to wash road salt off ASAP. Consider using a baking soda and water solution as a salt neutralizing pre-soak before you wash the car.
Originally Posted by shiann
Nice! Welcome and best of luck in your search! You should be able to find some really good examples of G55k's in the mid-40 range. Where in the country are you located?

Best advice I would have is you have to go see any truck you're interested in in person. Go over the whole thing with a fine toothed comb - check for any and all rust under the truck, around windshields, all around the doors, on all parts of the bumpers. Other than what you stated, maintenance records are important to know what you'll have to do immediately such as oil/fluid services, as well as normal service. Most of these trucks don't see much driving time and maintenance may have been deferred. Get paint thickness readings all over to make sure there is not paintwork,even if it looks flawless and carfax shows no accidents.

Second thing would be take your time finding the perfect truck for you. There are now a lot more on the market compared to back 6 months ago.
almostordinary (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 06:24 PM

Ouch, my first opinion on that car is keep looking.

Mileage is pretty high and the price is pretty up there. I wouldn't pay 50k for that truck.

Not sure about that driver's seat and I've always been more a fan of dark interiors.

I live in Los Feliz here in LA and lucked out finding my G55 in Burbank after searching the entire country.

If you come across one that you like and need someone to check it out with you feel free to give a shout.

Old 07-04-2020, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Of the many hundreds of the things I have learned about the G over the years, probably the most important one is that patience is a virtue. Because of the low production numbers, the issues that have been noted, and the general lack of upkeep for many Gs, I've looked at a lot of frogs to find the Gs that have made it into my stable. My most recent G took me a year and half to find. Gs are not an impulse buy - set your standards, abide by them, and wait until one that fulfills them comes along.
The following 2 users liked this post by Floobydust:
almostordinary (07-05-2020), pdeacon (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 01:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by almostordinary
Ouch, my first opinion on that car is keep looking.

Mileage is pretty high and the price is pretty up there. I wouldn't pay 50k for that truck.

Not sure about that driver's seat and I've always been more a fan of dark interiors.

I live in Los Feliz here in LA and lucked out finding my G55 in Burbank after searching the entire country.

If you come across one that you like and need someone to check it out with you feel free to give a shout.
there is a bit of a premium for 2009+ cars in my experience. He won’t find a sub 100k mile 09+ G55 car that isn’t a rust bucket for less than $50k. I’ve looked for several months before i bought mine and while at a quick glance there may be a few out there priced low, there is ALWAYS a reason. Generally, they are East Coast cars and/or are beat to ****.

I also like the designo porcelain interior but they require meticulous maintenance to keep them looking good. Unfortunately, many do not get adequate care and age poorly.
almostordinary (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:15 AM

2011 G55 + others
This car just popped up and i think is priced Very well assuming it is rust free. Definitely make sure there is no rust though as it has spent some time in IA early on, and several years in MO but was not driven much according to the seller. Not affiliated with this in any way, to be clear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274413179393
Old 07-05-2020, 08:47 PM

This one is in Inland Empire
2010 G550 hovering around $50k w 69k on the clock
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...136297819.html

Old 07-06-2020, 12:49 PM

04 S2000
Ah shoot, posting expired before I got to check it out. Thanks for watching out for me almostordinary, and I'm picking a car in your area (it says that you're on your way to Seattle?), I'll be sure to shoot you a PM!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:10 PM

04 S2000
Originally Posted by almostordinary
This one is in Inland Empire
2010 G550 hovering around $50k w 69k on the clock
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...136297819.html
Shoot. Post just expired. Thanks almostordinary - your generosity with your time and your replies have been much appreciated. If I come up to Seattle to take a look at one, I'll be sure to pop you a PM.

I saw this today - 20k miles less than the car I was looking at, and not a horrible color although I'd prefer black or silver.
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/c...151255332.html
Old 07-06-2020, 01:17 PM

2011 G55 + others
Originally Posted by limenuke
Shoot. Post just expired. Thanks almostordinary - your generosity with your time and your replies have been much appreciated. If I come up to Seattle to take a look at one, I'll be sure to pop you a PM.

I saw this today - 20k miles less than the car I was looking at, and not a horrible color although I'd prefer black or silver.
that car in Seattle has a story, which is why it’s priced significantly below market.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Be wary. It is at a dealer that specializes in selling credit. I'll bet the Carfax is a horror story.

Too bad you're not near me . . https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=262987936

Last edited by Floobydust; 07-06-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM

2011 G55 + others
Ah shoot, posting expired before I got to check it out. Thanks for watching out for me almostordinary, and I'm picking a car in your area (it says that you're on your way to Seattle?), I'll be sure to shoot you a PM!
here is the car that was linked by almostordinary

https://www.carfam.com/vehicle-detai...YC3HF0AX185271

Note that it has an accident on the carfax and is not a g55.

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:52 PM

04 S2000
Be wary. It is at a dealer that specializes in selling credit. I'll bet the Carfax is a horror story.

Too bad you're not near me . . https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=262987936
I'm from Toronto, and live in California now. I feel like cars here just have 0 rust. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that a car w/ 50k+ miles, from MA should have some rust by now?
Old 07-06-2020, 01:58 PM

Totally. I am actually still In LA, working remote for now. In no hurry to leave this LA weather just yet.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:07 PM

2011 G55 + others
I'm from Toronto, and live in California now. I feel like cars here just have 0 rust. Wouldn't it be safe to assume that a car w/ 50k+ miles, from MA should have some rust by now?
Carfax shows this car came from eastern TN and hasn't spent much time in MA. Priced very well and probably worth investigating. They do get a bit of snow in eastern TN but it's minimal compared to what you'd see further north on the east coast.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:13 PM

Received 314 Likes on 236 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
The truck in Mass has had six (6) owners!!! This vehicle is probably not in play for a west coast buyer but just say'n...
Old 07-06-2020, 02:13 PM

If you can go a little north of $50k or work out a deal this is a nice 2 owner California truck. It's a G550 though

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

pdeacon (07-06-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Please help me make an educated pick on a G.