G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Aux lamps for brush guard...plus a switch to activate them

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 01:14 AM

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Aux lamps for brush guard...plus a switch to activate them

Hello all,

I'm looking into mounting some lights on my brush guard. I am vaguely familiar with this process but not nearly well versed enough to do it ATM. I need help figuring out the following:

~There appears to be no mounting points on the guard for lights. I know there exist clamps that attach to the guard, but I'm not sure how secure they are nor am I convinced that they will stay in place over a long period of time. Any suggestions?
~How do I wire them up? I've watched numerous videos on the subject but I've never actually done a job like this.
~Is there a way to activate them via a factory switch replacing one of the blank plates in the interior? In other words, I'd like to be able to activate them independently of the highbeams (if possible) and I would like to do so via a switch that looks like it came from the factory. Is this possible and if so, where would I get such a switch and how would I mount it?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts
Built 2008 G55 & one big 80 Series LandCruiser !
Baja Designs makes a great option for a G in the LP6's or event the smaller LP4's...... along with the needed clamps for the grille bar and a wiring harness. I run the LP6's on my lancruiser and they're amazing !

Old 07-06-2020, 03:29 PM

Received 454 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 G55K
I'm looking to do the same thing but am doing a lot of research on different options before purchasing anything.

I've been trying to decide between the different options offered by Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics to upgrade my fog lights (yellow) and additional high beams (white driving light). There many companies that make high quality lights, so do your research.

1. There are 2 mounting points on the lower middle bar of the brush guard. There are 2 threaded holes on the bar and they can be positioned in any orientation (facing front, up, down, back, etc) These would work for mounting brackets, but will most likely need custom brackets for any set of lights you find.
2. You'll have to decide whether to hook them to an OEM switch function, an independent aftermarket switch, or a multi-function switching system (something like the S-Pod System)
- For an OEM function, you'll have to size the lights correctly to not overload the OE circuit and fuse - My solution to this would be to tie into the fog lights (if you don't use them) and switch the foglight bulbs to LED and make sure the combination of the LED fogs and the lights you add are equal to the OE fog light bulb rating. You can also tie them to the high beam, or any other OE circuit, but will most likely have to use a relay circuit to account for the difference in power draw.
- For adding an aftermarket switch, you'll need a relay harness that you can purchase from almost any off road light manufacturer, or generic ones on amazon/ebay. There are generic instructions for this and should be available from wherever you purchase them.
- For a multi-control power interface such as the S-Pod system, this is probably overkill but if you are thinking of adding several new lights/things that need power, this would be the best and cleanest way to do it.
3. I haven't looked into factory switches that can be added, but since the car electronics network is CANBUS, this may be difficult. I would love to be able to use the factory blank switches next to the lock/unlock and hazard button in the center stack also.