G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

King steering shock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
13 997 turbo s,07 G55,58 apache
King steering shock

I installed the King steering shock last night, I cant feel any difference still have slight steering wobble at 90 k. Looks nice, It would be nice if they would sell a install kit. Washers look low grade, Going to have to find some nice spacers

I called King about it pulling to one side now after i installed . They said i can buy $150 in tools to adjust. Ordered factory gonna sell useless king. Bryan from Gwagen parts e mailed me couple days later and said i can send back if i am not satisfied, thats great customer service

Last edited by SLOWCAR930; 08-20-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:24 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
I had a bad wobble in my truck, had to get the tires re-balanced after their first install since I used a mobile installer at the height of COVID shut down. Maybe get that looked at, kind of curious if you feel a difference at highway speed once you sort the wobble.
The following users liked this post:
aerG500 (08-14-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree with @almostordinary as well. I Dealt with the dreaded wobble a few years back. Replaced literally thousands of dollars in suspension & driveline parts at RAB motors, MB of SF and an Indy shop trying to pin point it... even had it aligned twice by two different shops plus balanced three times (over a nearly year long trek to fix this). . Then bsed on advice from another long time G owner, I finally took it to a proper high end performance shop that regularly calibrated their “road force” balancer machine and had them do it. Fixed it. Zero wobble. That’s the key... a good reputable shop with a modern Road Force balancer

Last edited by aerG500; 08-14-2020 at 08:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aerG500:
almostordinary (08-14-2020), Irav (01-31-2023)
Old 08-14-2020, 07:37 PM

Wow thanks> I am looking for tire guy tomorrow. I really appreciate reply sir.

Thanks david
almostordinary (08-14-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 02:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
2010 G550 & 2019 S560
Originally Posted by SLOWCAR930
I installed the King steering shock last night, I cant feel any difference still have slight steering wobble at 90 k. Looks nice, It would be nice if they would sell a install kit. Washers look low grade, Going to have to find some nice spacers

I called King about it pulling to one side now after i installed . They said i can buy $150 in tools to adjust. Ordered factory gonna sell useless kimg for 1/2 i paid on e bay. I hate aftermarket sometimes
I had the King steering stabilizer (https://www.gwagenparts.com/product/...cedes-g-class/) for a couple of months before it broke on me. Actually, it was the bracket that broke. My mechanic said the stabilizer is not a direct swap out for the OEM part, which I believed it was up until that point.

I still have the King stabilizer, but I ended up buying a non-ATS Fox 2.0 stabilizer instead (https://jackwagonoverlanding.com/col...ing-stabilizer) because I haven't gotten any help figuring out how to make the King work properly (King and gwagenparts haven't been very helpful). The Fox stabilizer bolts directly on and is noticeably larger than the King.

FYI... the ATS version of the Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer does not work if you have a VTS differential cover on your front diff (https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/p...n-and-sprinter). If you want the ATS version of the Fox, you need the OEM diff cover unless you want to grind away at the bracket that Eurowise created for the ATS version (https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/w463fss.htm). I wanted to put both the ATS and non-ATS versions on, but I just had to return the ATS to Eurowise because of the VTS diff cover I have. If only Eurowise had disclosed that the ATS stabilizer only works with the OEM diff cover. It would've saved me the 15% restocking fee!
Old 08-18-2020, 02:18 PM

King e mailed me twice trying to help.. Then Bryan from Gwagen parts e mailed me back and said i could mail it back if i am not happy. I thought that was very nice i dont see companys step up like that very much. Thanks Gwagenparts

Last edited by SLOWCAR930; 08-20-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:30 PM

Received 449 Likes on 273 Posts
2005 G55K
Originally Posted by GFiveFifty
I had the King steering stabilizer (https://www.gwagenparts.com/product/...cedes-g-class/) for a couple of months before it broke on me. Actually, it was the bracket that broke. My mechanic said the stabilizer is not a direct swap out for the OEM part, which I believed it was up until that point.

I still have the King stabilizer, but I ended up buying a non-ATS Fox 2.0 stabilizer instead (https://jackwagonoverlanding.com/col...ing-stabilizer) because I haven't gotten any help figuring out how to make the King work properly (King and gwagenparts haven't been very helpful). The Fox stabilizer bolts directly on and is noticeably larger than the King.

FYI... the ATS version of the Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer does not work if you have a VTS differential cover on your front diff (https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com/p...n-and-sprinter). If you want the ATS version of the Fox, you need the OEM diff cover unless you want to grind away at the bracket that Eurowise created for the ATS version (https://shop.eurowise.com/product-p/w463fss.htm). I wanted to put both the ATS and non-ATS versions on, but I just had to return the ATS to Eurowise because of the VTS diff cover I have. If only Eurowise had disclosed that the ATS stabilizer only works with the OEM diff cover. It would've saved me the 15% restocking fee!
Hey GFiveFifty, some questions about your Fox non-ATS steering damper install.

I recently upgraded the suspension on my 2005 G55 to G63 springs and Fox 2.0's from Eurowise. Shock kit worked fine overall but I've been getting a really bad flexing/wobbling at higher speeds over rough pavement (NJ/NYC roads are mostly terrible). I'm thinking it's my steering shock on its way out since I can feel the wobble being transmitted through the steering wheel, then into the chassis. I'm thinking of going with the Fox 2.0 non-ATS steering stabilizer to solve this issue, but wanted some input from others if they were feeling the same type of thing.

My reasoning is now with the softer suspension/shock setup, the road forces from bumps, cracks, joints, dips, etc are now easier to transmit to the steering, then to the chassis. With the OE G55 suspension, everything was so stiff that the steering was kept mostly in line since basically nothing was moving when you went over rough stuff.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts
2006 G55
Originally Posted by shiann
Hey GFiveFifty, some questions about your Fox non-ATS steering damper install.

I recently upgraded the suspension on my 2005 G55 to G63 springs and Fox 2.0's from Eurowise. Shock kit worked fine overall but I've been getting a really bad flexing/wobbling at higher speeds over rough pavement (NJ/NYC roads are mostly terrible). I'm thinking it's my steering shock on its way out since I can feel the wobble being transmitted through the steering wheel, then into the chassis. I'm thinking of going with the Fox 2.0 non-ATS steering stabilizer to solve this issue, but wanted some input from others if they were feeling the same type of thing.

My reasoning is now with the softer suspension/shock setup, the road forces from bumps, cracks, joints, dips, etc are now easier to transmit to the steering, then to the chassis. With the OE G55 suspension, everything was so stiff that the steering was kept mostly in line since basically nothing was moving when you went over rough stuff.

what setting are you running on your FOX when not off roading? I have FOX 2.0 adjustable with Thor springs and had same issues at first. I run stiffest setting on all four corners and have replaced my steering dampener with factory bilsteins. I have about 3-4 inch lift, running 34’s Nitto Grapplers. It drives fine. Never flat and solid as factory setup but considering the changes, I wouldn’t expect that. It drive fine for everyday driver. Hope this helps. I
Old 10-11-2020, 10:59 PM

Received 449 Likes on 273 Posts
2005 G55K
My setup is G63 springs at OE height and Fox 2.0 Shocks. OE G55 18" Wheels with the OE 285/55R18 Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires (unknown mileage on them)

I've been playing with the shock settings over the past few weeks to find out what is the best setting for daily use. I'm currently settled on running the shocks full soft for the front and rear. I originally was at 2 clicks off soft in the front and 3 clicks off soft in the rear and the truck would shake violently and the steering wheel would be pulled with a good amount of force in random directions when driving over bad road surfaces. I have found that the stiffer the shock settings, the more violently the truck shakes when driving over rough roads.

Also, one thing to note, I have also found that the shaking is worse when first driving the truck (everything is "cold"). The steering shaking gets more mild after a few miles (I'm guessing as the fluid in the steering stabilizer heats up). This also points to the steering damper being the culprit.
Irav (01-31-2023)