G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Adding a touchscreen...?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
2010 G550 & 2019 S560
Adding a touchscreen...?

Anyone have experience with adding a touchscreen just above their differential switches? The link I tried to post isn't working, but you can find the product by going to dmp car design . com, clicking the Mercedes logo and then going to the second page. It looks intriguing, but I'm skeptical about it. Thoughts?

Last edited by GFiveFifty; 08-24-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 12:11 PM

Received 453 Likes on 274 Posts
2005 G55K
A few other members were discussing this company/android screen here:

Originally this thread was for the 2013-2018 updated style center console, but a member purchased the older styled interior. So far the reviews have been good overall.

https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...13-2018-a.html
The following users liked this post:
GFiveFifty (08-24-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 PM

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
G63
I just installed a similar unit on a 2017 G63. It already had "wired" carplay, but with this unit you get wireless carplay. Pretty straight forward install - integration works well with with OEM stereo. If you press the NTG icon, it basically put you into the OEM stereo display and all functions work. All the steering wheel controls work..and if you are in any of the android functions, the OEM rear camera still pops on when you go in reverse and then goes back to the screen when you start driving away. Also it toggles between the stereo inputs automatically...so you can use your OEM XMRadio, then flip into the Android carplay and it will automatically switch you into AUX which is where the Android unit plays out from.

I got the 12.25 size screen from carlife - their support is fantastic as I've gotten a couple new software downloads to fix a couple weird nagging things!

Love the larger screen size in carplay mode...plus if you want it works like any other android unit where you could load all the apps on the unit and run it natively as well (vs off your phone) as long as you are connected to the internet. It has a spot for a SIM card to give it dedicated data as well. Haven't fooled around with that part of it much but loving the wireless carplay and screen size!!!

The following 5 users liked this post by Willard Lee:
FatTony001 (09-19-2020), Makbros (09-12-2020), pdeacon (09-12-2020), The Butcher (10-01-2020), z168 (12-26-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 05:24 PM

Received 309 Likes on 232 Posts
E450 wagon, C43 AMG Cpe, C43 AMG Cab
Looks great. Nice upgrade.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:48 PM

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts
G63
Originally Posted by Willard Lee
I just installed a similar unit on a 2017 G63. It already had "wired" carplay, but with this unit you get wireless carplay. Pretty straight forward install - integration works well with with OEM stereo. If you press the NTG icon, it basically put you into the OEM stereo display and all functions work. All the steering wheel controls work..and if you are in any of the android functions, the OEM rear camera still pops on when you go in reverse and then goes back to the screen when you start driving away. Also it toggles between the stereo inputs automatically...so you can use your OEM XMRadio, then flip into the Android carplay and it will automatically switch you into AUX which is where the Android unit plays out from.

I got the 12.25 size screen from carlife - their support is fantastic as I've gotten a couple new software downloads to fix a couple weird nagging things!

Love the larger screen size in carplay mode...plus if you want it works like any other android unit where you could load all the apps on the unit and run it natively as well (vs off your phone) as long as you are connected to the internet. It has a spot for a SIM card to give it dedicated data as well. Haven't fooled around with that part of it much but loving the wireless carplay and screen size!!!
Looks great. Can you share the link?
thanks
Old 09-16-2020, 01:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Brabus G63
I have the 10.25" version from DMP -straightforward install and was able to 'theme'/'skin' it to make it more Mercedes-esque. Requires a little bit of basic computer knowledge but if you can follow instructions you can figure it out. Carplay is basically 90% of what I use it for and it works great.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
G63/X5M
I might have to bite the bullet on this. Def looks sharp.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
CLK 55 AMG 2005 and CLK 63 AMG cab.2007 - 2009 EVO - 2013 ML63 AMG - 2018 G63 AMG
Is it hard to install?
looks hard for a DIY
looks sharp
Old 09-19-2020, 08:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
bmws m6
have you noticed any loss in sound quality or volume difference with the stereo with the new screen since it goes thru auxiliary now?
Old 09-19-2020, 11:48 PM

2015 Brabus G63
Answering some questions above:
Sound quality was initially a bit troublesome for me but after updating to Android 10 and MCU updates, I don't have any complaints about audio quality. Radio volume and AUX volume are matched so there's no BLASTING of your music when switching between inputs. This was initially an issue (as mentioned above) but the most recent software updates have resolved this for me.

Install-wise: not hard, especially if you've ever installed a car radio before. DMP has video guides for everything and they're helpful. Took me 1-2hrs in a hot garage with lots of breaks. Most people can do it themselves with some patience but an auto-shop shouldnt charge you for more than 2-3hrs of labor. As above mentioned, getting the aux cable back to the center console armrest location is a pain (not quite long enough).

Functionality-wise: it's great. Boot-up is a little slow (~15s) but you get to look at pretty Mercedes boot animations which look nice. Carplay connects wirelessly automatically in another ~15-20 seconds. Not instant-on like OEM radios but it's not cumbersome since it happens automatically without docking/connecting anything. I've never had CarPlay before so this is a gamechanger for me.

Here's a link for some mercedes boot animations: https://mega.nz/folder/CY4BSCiY#GzEDQRdR-LzYZAqh8miCmg
You can also make boot splash screens too, I have a custom made brabus logo for mine since mine is Brabus'd out.

Quick shot of mine, I themed/made the icons and edited some other stuff to make it match my car/iPhone better. Happy to share the theme with anyone who wants it. Post questions if you have them, I'm happy to answer.

Last edited by scrubs15; 09-19-2020 at 11:50 PM. Reason: updates
FatTony001 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-20-2020, 06:37 AM

2010 G550 & 2019 S560
[QUOTE=scrubs15;8160946]Answering some questions above:
Sound quality was initially a bit troublesome for me but after updating to Android 10 and MCU updates, I don't have any complaints about audio quality. Radio volume and AUX volume are matched so there's no BLASTING of your music when switching between inputs. This was initially an issue (as mentioned above) but the most recent software updates have resolved this for me.

Install-wise: not hard, especially if you've ever installed a car radio before. DMP has video guides for everything and they're helpful. Took me 1-2hrs in a hot garage with lots of breaks. Most people can do it themselves with some patience but an auto-shop shouldnt charge you for more than 2-3hrs of labor. As above mentioned, getting the aux cable back to the center console armrest location is a pain (not quite long enough).

Functionality-wise: it's great. Boot-up is a little slow (~15s) but you get to look at pretty Mercedes boot animations which look nice. Carplay connects wirelessly automatically in another ~15-20 seconds. Not instant-on like OEM radios but it's not cumbersome since it happens automatically without docking/connecting anything. I've never had CarPlay before so this is a gamechanger for me.

Here's a link for some mercedes boot animations: https://mega.nz/folder/CY4BSCiY#GzEDQRdR-LzYZAqh8miCmg
You can also make boot splash screens too, I have a custom made brabus logo for mine since mine is Brabus'd out.

Quick shot of mine, I themed/made the icons and edited some other stuff to make it match my car/iPhone better. Happy to share the theme with anyone who wants it. Post questions if you have them, I'm happy to answer. [/QUOTE/]

Thanks for posting a link to the boot animations! How do you actually load those onto the touchscreen? Do you access the boot animations through the touchscreen and download directly onto the device?
Old 09-20-2020, 10:29 AM

2015 Brabus G63
Originally Posted by GFiveFifty
Thanks for posting a link to the boot animations! How do you actually load those onto the touchscreen? Do you access the boot animations through the touchscreen and download directly onto the device?
1) get a USB stick, format to FAT32
2) create an empty folder called OEM on that drive
3) inside the OEM folder, place bootanimation.zip
4) stick it in the usb port on your android system in the car, boot / start the car. it wont update the first time around, but after the system starts up, you can remove the stick and in the future it will be there for subsequent boot-ups. no further setting changes needed

same goes for boot splash image (you see both during start up: animation then image). you need to convert the image to splash.img (a little tricky but can find a guide for you) and then place that splash.img file inside the OEM folder. same thing, will appear after a second reboot

this forum has a good amount of info (scattered all over the place tho). i was able to theme/skin most of what i wanted and change some button actions, etc

here's a couple different brabus boot images i made (i have a black/gold theme going on).

Last edited by scrubs15; 09-20-2020 at 10:36 AM. Reason: updates
The Butcher (10-01-2020)
Old 09-22-2020, 10:50 PM

bmws m6
Originally Posted by scrubs15

Quick shot of mine, I themed/made the icons and edited some other stuff to make it match my car/iPhone better. Happy to share the theme with anyone who wants it. Post questions if you have them, I'm happy to answer.
the column of car play and the Spotify and music apps is my concern. I think the column level of the factory stereo is already weak so I don’t want to lose Anymore volume.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:49 AM

2015 Brabus G63
Originally Posted by iluvspl
the column of car play and the Spotify and music apps is my concern. I think the column level of the factory stereo is already weak so I don’t want to lose Anymore volume.
not quite sure what you mean but there are settings to volume-match radio and AUX-in. mine works fine without any volume knob changing between inputs.

also, it's an android tablet- you can download any app you want and 'replace' the music icon with whatever app you want. mine goes to pandora.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 AM

bmws m6
what I was referring to was what the other member mentioned. Since these screen work thru the AUX connection the overall volume of sound coming out is lower than what it was previously. Since the G wagon sound system is fairly weak in my opinion I listen to pretty much full volume. I just don't want to get the screen and go to use car play and all of a sudden the playback is not as loud.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:12 PM

2015 Brabus G63
Originally Posted by wlee1969
Can you point me to the software you used to create the splash.img? looking thru the posts it has to be created in 1920x480 as a png? Also , if its in the OEM folder, will it automatically get picked up like the bootanimation? right now, if I go into factory settings down to the last menu option if lets you change to boot logo, but there are only the 7 default ones...has an option to upload an image, but don't know where its looking as it always says there are no splash.img files found. Thanks in advance!!
Basically need to make a PNG file 1280x480, and for whatever reason I believe it needs to be converted to 24-bit. I used an online image converter for that. Put that image in the 'pics' folder and then hit 'CREATE_LOGO.bat' (this method only for Windows OS). it spits out a .img file in 'output' folder.

Then yes, rename it to splash.img, put it in OEM folder on the USB drive, insert, boot car. It wont be there first boot but it will automatically show up for subsequent boot-ups. You don't need to select anything on boot images, doing it this way automatically replaces the default image. You can remove the USB after the first boot.

Feel free to virus check the attachment, I downloaded it off XDA forums I believe but can't find the original link. No issues on my end. I left my Brabus image in there for testing purposes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
GS-LogoChange.zip (9.16 MB, 32 views)

Last edited by scrubs15; 09-24-2020 at 03:13 PM. Reason: updates
ash0468 (09-26-2020)
Old 09-26-2020, 12:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz G63
  • Groovy setup guys, DO you have pictures or videos of the back of your radio or screen to show how wiring is connected.? Thanks
Old 09-30-2020, 11:41 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
G63/X5M
Installed mine from DMP last night. Ran into what I thought was an issue with the screen resolution for the reverse camera and factory NTG infotainment system. Did not know that there was a code you had to enter first in order to gain access to menu in order to change resolution. Tech support helped with that. Overall, install is not terrible, but I still had a buddy of mine do the install since it helps to have experience.

https://freeimage.host/i/2E5FMQ

https://freeimage.host/i/2E5OJ9

Last edited by Rimola; 09-30-2020 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Pictures
Old 10-18-2020, 01:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G63 AMG / C63s
Originally Posted by scrubs15

Hi @scrubs15 ,

Thanks for sharing the Mega folder full of animations, they are excellent. I have also recently installed one of these screens and they are fantastic.

Two questions;

1 - I saw that you offer customized animations for a small fee..... I would love to take you up on this offer. I have a G63 and would love a G Class style boot up if that is something you can do?

2 - Did you experience any feedback / interference on the AUX input? Mine has started to develop a buzzing / hissing noise. I have ordered a AUX Isolator which I hope will fix the issue, just wondering if you had seen this too?

Cheers
Old 10-18-2020, 01:39 AM

2015 Brabus G63
Originally Posted by Bigreyrey
Hi @scrubs15 ,

Thanks for sharing the Mega folder full of animations, they are excellent. I have also recently installed one of these screens and they are fantastic.

Two questions;

1 - I saw that you offer customized animations for a small fee..... I would love to take you up on this offer. I have a G63 and would love a G Class style boot up if that is something you can do?

2 - Did you experience any feedback / interference on the AUX input? Mine has started to develop a buzzing / hissing noise. I have ordered a AUX Isolator which I hope will fix the issue, just wondering if you had seen this too?

Cheers
Hi I don't make custom animations but there are tools out there that can break up a video file into the animation files needed for this.
I haven't had any issues with feedback. Maybe start unplugging anything else that is plugged in to outlets in the car. From my understanding most of the time feedback comes from other non-factory stuff that has been added. Mixed reviews on those ground loop isolators, hope it works out
Old 11-14-2020, 05:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G63 AMG
Hello, my name is Cédric, I'm french, i saw your post on your new screen in G63 AMG, i have the same car, i would like to do the same thing.
Have you got photo for removing Comand, I don't know how making. How removing central air in front?
Thanks for all information
Old 11-14-2020, 10:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G63 AMG
Hello, my name is Cédric, I saw your post for installing new screen, i would like to make the same thing but I don't know how remove Comand online, can you help me and explain me how you did?
Best regard
Cédric
Old 12-23-2020, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 G-550
I just got this screen in today and will tackle the install tomorrow. Does anybody have the installation instructions or can point me to a good video or post detailing the install on a G wagon? Thanks, so pumped!!
Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
g550
Hello. Did anyone come across installation instructions or videos? I’d love to understand the step by step prior to purchasing. Thanks
Old 12-31-2020, 12:40 PM

2010 G550 & 2019 S560
Originally Posted by ArcticE
I just got this screen in today and will tackle the install tomorrow. Does anybody have the installation instructions or can point me to a good video or post detailing the install on a G wagon? Thanks, so pumped!!
Try contacting Daniel from DMP on What'sApp. His number is +60 175521201. Mr. Seven from DMP can also be helpful. His number is +60 176071426.

I took the screen out of mine after a couple weeks because the installation was a nightmare and it never got working properly, but Daniel and Mr. Seven are probably your best bets for installation help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adding a touchscreen...?