G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Car charger so Slow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 02:06 PM

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
s550
Car charger so Slow

Is it just me or do the charging ports in the truck charge relatively slow?
The charging port by the cup holders is what I use but it takes FOREVER to charge my iPhone. While using the phone to play music via spotify while plugged in, it almost gains no charge. It’s an iphone 11 and has very good battery which I have tested in the house playing spotify.
The USB port in the armrest and the cigarette lighter port in front of it charge even slower.

Anyone else have similar experience or just me?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 451 Likes on 369 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
It depends on how many amps it is charging at, which seems to be very low! I am not if that is the norm or not since I do not charge a phone in my G.
Old 10-27-2020, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 869 Likes on 671 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by just1time
Is it just me or do the charging ports in the truck charge relatively slow?
The charging port by the cup holders is what I use but it takes FOREVER to charge my iPhone. While using the phone to play music via spotify while plugged in, it almost gains no charge. It’s an iphone 11 and has very good battery which I have tested in the house playing spotify.
The USB port in the armrest and the cigarette lighter port in front of it charge even slower.

Anyone else have similar experience or just me?
I checked charging current on my Samsung phone when its battery level was about 40%. Using a 1 amp capacity AC wall charger, the charging current was about 0.4 amps. Plugging into the console USB outlet (MY2019 G550) the charge rate was about double at 0.8 amps. So I don't think the charge rate in the car is severely limited. More likely, it's the number of apps running on your phone. If you have all the wireless connections (Bluetooth, wi-fi, GPS, cellular) options set on, charging will be slow because the phone's battery is being drained while it's charging. Try setting your phone in airplane mode and see if charging is faster.
Old 10-27-2020, 02:14 PM

Received 93 Likes on 81 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
I wonder what the charging rate is going to be on the 2021 model with wireless charging?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 869 Likes on 671 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by Craig B
I wonder what the charging rate is going to be on the 2021 model with wireless charging?
These wireless chargers are supposed to be compatible with the "Qi" standard. The basic Qi charging spec is 5 watts, which translates into 1 ampere charging current. I have an AC charging puck that I set my phone on at night, and when charging, the puck draws 0.6 amps with the phone battery at about 50%. This is the charging current in the puck, however, so it's hard to say what's lost in the power transfer and actually gets received by the phone. I suppose I could run a test of wireless charge time versus cord connected charge time, and that would provide some indication of efficiency, but from casual observation, the wireless charging always seems to take longer than cord charging. I have this Qi wireless charging feature in my Lexus, where it's located in a narrow compartment in front of the cup holders. When my phone is placed there, alignment of the phone's charge coil with the car's charger takes some experimentation, and is super sensitive because my phone's protective case elevates it away from the charge coil. The phone is supposed to be usable while charging if it's been paired with the car. Bottomline -- I just don't use wireless charging in the car. It's far easier and faster to attach a charging cord and toss the phone on the seat or in one of the cup holders. There are available cup holder adapters that provide phone mounting and wireless charging, but I have no experience with these.