G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Steering wheel upgrade (W205 AMG style)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 02:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Brabus G63
Steering wheel upgrade (W205 AMG style)

Hi all,
Not a common upgrade so thought I’d post about my recent steering wheel replacement. I’m collecting no affiliate points or discount from RevoCarbon but overall been very happy with my decision. I got a covid-special price which I don’t think I can post here but if you DM me I’m happy to share. I’ll just say closer to $1k than $2k.

Quick review:

Just for clarity it is a custom-made steering wheel from a base W205 AMG wheel. I chose all of the materials used on the wheel. I chose to keep it OEM looking.

Quality: 10/10. The carbon fiber is laid perfectly, the alcantara is high quality and feels durable, stitching is well done. The air bag cover he outsources and that was done well by whoever he gets them from. There is no change or decrease in airbag function/safety by replacing the airbag cover with one covered in alcantara.

Function: all the steering wheel controls work fine, air bag works fine (I assume, no dashboard errors), as a steering wheel can’t ask for much more functionality

Install: not hard, took like 30min, could do it faster the second time around definitely.

Value: I got a good price so I’m pretty happy with the value, expect something like this to run between $1400-1800 depending on how you customize it. Could be even more. Remember you drive a G wagen tho- value for money probably isn’t a huge deal to you haha. There are a few services out there that custom-make these steering wheels, I think he is probably one of the best on the spectrum of pricing. There are some Chinese ebay sellers who do this too for around $1000 or maybe less but I felt a lot less comfortable with them and they had no track record of producing a quality product.

Communication: not great. Took a long time to respond to my inquiries sometimes, but some days he was very responsive.

Time for production: really not great. He had delays on parts due to covid so not fully him to blame but still it took a long long time.

Would I buy again? Yes. Would I buy again from him? Yes but mostly because I think I got a good price. Quality and workmanship are superb- he clearly specializes in Mercedes steering wheels, but the delays and lagging communication were very frustrating at times.

Can post more photos if needed, just doing this on my phone during a lunch break.

Last edited by scrubs15; 10-14-2020 at 02:58 PM. Reason: updates
Old 10-14-2020, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 462 Likes on 377 Posts
'25 EQG deposit, '21 718 Spyder & '20 HD Fatboy
I am not a fan of alcantara (or CF for that matter) but it looks nice. Was the person that made it this guy: https://www.ebay.com/usr/ledermanz?ul_noapp=true
Old 10-14-2020, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Brabus G63
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I am not a fan of alcantara (or CF for that matter) but it looks nice. Was the person that made it this guy: https://www.ebay.com/usr/ledermanz?ul_noapp=true
negative but i vaguely remember reading reviews about that guy. i believe they were positive.

i had carbon fiber on my last CLS steering wheel and i loved it. alcantara i've never had before- looks nice but not sure how practical it will be in the long run. i think it all matches my interior nicely so i'm happy
Old 10-14-2020, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If we all liked the same it would be a dull world! Just make sure your hands are clean since alcantara will flatten out and get smooth and shiny over time.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
G550 December Delivery
Bob,
I have bought a couple of Porsche steering wheels from Lev in Latvia. His work is OEM+. I highly recommend.
Greg
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by anythingbuttime
Bob,
I have bought a couple of Porsche steering wheels from Lev in Latvia. His work is OEM+. I highly recommend.
Greg
Thanks, he has done work on many makes/models. I plan to use him if I cannot work something out with MB on mine. At the very least I expect something different from MB and odds are I will sell it and then have Lev make me something nice!