G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Help me pick the right G-Wagen. Base vehicle budget: $40K-$80K.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350 on order
Help me pick the right G-Wagen. Base vehicle budget: $40K-$80K.

Hey all, I’ve owned just about every major vehicle manufacturer with the exception of Mercedes-Benz. I’m considering rectifying that with a G-Wagen.

I’m considering 2003 G500s to 2014 G63s. I know that that is quite a spectrum, hence the reason I’m asking for your help. I figure my use case and proclivities will help you help me (and a big thanks in advance!).

I’m looking for a daily to replace my 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that I sold in the used car craziness of 2021. I ended up profiting $5K on a Wrangler that I had for 18 months and drove 10K+ miles. I really, truly loved that vehicle (my 2nd Wrangler). It was our family’s weekend vehicle for Colorado exploration; camping, hiking cold weather, sunny days, etc. I also used it to commute to/from the bus station I commuted to work from. On occasion, I drove it 60 miles a day to/from clients. While I don’t know what post-Covid work will look like, I think some combination of working form home, office, clients is in my future. That basically means that I don’t need a vehicle that gets great mileage. I like to modify my vehicles, and can see adding some overlanding kit to whatever G-Wagen I get; enough to get through 5 days of tent camping far off the beaten path. Nothing crazy, but it won’t be a Miami strip crawler.

I love the brawn and utilitarian nature of the G-Wagen. Obviously, it’s changed a lot over the years, and that’s the challenge as I work through which one to buy. Here’s what I’m thinking and I’d love your thoughts on it:

2003-2006 G500 - The simplest and least expensive on the spectrum. They have the more robust 5-speed automatic transmission (though some 2006 have the 7-speed) and are essentially unchanged between years. Good ones seems available for US$40K with under 100K miles. Here’s a local one that has piqued my interest: https://glenshelly.com/sales/2003-mercedes-benz-g500

2009-2011 G55 - I prefer the G55s looks to the G500, if only slightly. They share the robust 5-speed of the earlier G500 but with the ~500hp engine. I don’t need 500hp, but I also don’t need a G-Wagen. The Designo interior feels pretty dated, arguably more than the older G500. The walnut wood looks pretty chintzy in my opinion. I seems like a good one can be had for ~US$60K. I like the idea of swapping out the head unit with a modern Apple CarPlay capable one As I understand that’s easier on these than later model. Here’s one near me that caught me eye: https://thesharpestrides.com/vehicle...s-Benz-G-Class

~2014 G63 - The interiors looks VASTLY better than the G55. That said, the quilted leather, screen atop the dashboard, etc. just make them look like modern vehicles. I don’t know that that matters that much to me. $80K seems to be the low end for these machines. I don’t think the head unit can be upgraded to work with CarPlay, but maybe I’m wrong. They’re also more “baller” than my 44y/o dad self might be comfortable with. But this is meant to be a somewhat utilitarian vehicle, and I’m not a professional athlete. That said, this looks hot: https://www.redsautoandtruck.com/inv...-63-amg/424706

I’m tempted to target a clean 2011 G55 as it’s right in the sweet spot; it’s the last of the G55s, I can upgrade the interior if I want to, but am not stuck with a screen that can’t be replaced. It’s got the power boost over the G500/G550, but keeps the robust 5-speed transmission. The smaller wheels and more subtle exterior are less overt.

I also recognize that I’m ignoring 2006 (7-speed) and new G550s. I’m not sure what to focus on there. Should I be looking at newer G550s? What will $50K-$60K get me in the G550 reals?

Is my thinking right? I’d love your thoughts and recommendations. Thank in advance!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 824 Likes on 637 Posts
G550
IMO you should have kept your Rubicon. I have a 2016 edition, and while I prefer my 2019 G550 to the Jeep in every respect, I'd never consider swapping my Rubicon for a 10-12 year older G. The Jeep has been problem free for 5 years/44K miles, and I've tended to its oil changes and interval service needs regularly. The G might be a similarly rugged vehicle, but even with service records you can't be assured of its forward going reliability. If my budget was $60K, my choice would be a brand new Rubicon (unless your objective is a project vehicle - me, I'd rather be out driving than laying on a creeper).

Last edited by streborx; 08-30-2021 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 11:40 AM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
1994 E500, 2002 E320 wagon
The 2008 G55 is an option you forgot. It has the rear-view camera and updated interior. What it lacks is the updated seats and the 19" wheels that came on the 2009 G55.
Old 08-30-2021, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 824 Likes on 637 Posts
G550
If you do decide to go the G route, take any vehicle you're considering to a qualified MB mechanic and have him/her spend half a day doing a thorough CPO inspection. Other G owners can tell you what to watch out for. Attached is MB's CPO brochure and checklist that you might find useful. Good luck and hope you find your dream ride!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
CPO-Certifications-Brochure.pdf (256.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 08-31-2021, 02:17 AM

Received 87 Likes on 58 Posts
G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
I wouldn’t buy a W463 G63 at all right now in this market. You are going to be grossly OVERPAYING for it big time.

Three years ago when I bought my 14 G63, I bought a truck that was priced fairly and aggressively but one that was in the middle. Meaning, it wasn’t the highest priced 14 nor the cheapest but it was in the middle. Today that same truck even with all the miles I put on and even with now a accident on the CF is worth 30k more at the least. That’s the wholesale price, not trade in or retail.

Any “profit” or gain you made on the rubicon is going to go right out the window.

Side note: A 14 G63 is still a 7 almost 8 year old truck. If you are financing you’ll be unable to get a good rate due to the age either. Anybody that thinks these high prices in the used car market are going to remain forever is misinformed. Prices have been leveling off and slowly started to dip back down. Many people in the coming future are going to be terribly upside down on their vehicles.

I would wait for the market to normalize. In the meantime if you really want a G63, I would pick up a higher mileage well cared for G500 or G55. Those have gone up as well but not as much as a G550/G63 from the 12+ era.

You could add car play and even the new 2019 G steering wheel to any model G. You could also do the exterior bits to either match a G63 or even the new G wagon (lights/body kit), the customization options for this truck is endless.

good luck

Last edited by simandang; 08-31-2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 08:29 PM

Received 135 Likes on 102 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Mechanically, the G is pretty sound. It's the corrosion issues that I would worry about.
Old 09-03-2021, 05:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 168 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
I picked up my 2011 G55 in Dec. and am currently up $20k in value from what I paid for it. I have put about 8k miles on it and love it as it has its purpose. While not as comfy or agile to drive as our GLS63 it comfy in it’s own way. I got the 2011 year bc it’s the last of the m113k powered and I love that engine since I have a heavily modded E55 with the same. Course it makes 564rwhp and 666rwtq and is stupid fast.

I have done the following mods most of which you would likely want to do:
2019+ style LED headlight and DRLs
- These are the single best upgrade so far. Light output is superb and gives modern appearance. Most people likely think the car is brand new
2019+ style LED rear tail lights
- Again updates the look
Vinyl wrapped the ugly wood trim
Repalced wood steering wheel with piano black wheel
- Lost heated option as I couldn’t find a piano black with it. Not a major loss since not super cold here in Alabama
Android head unit with wireless CarPlay
- Gloss black vinyled the sides to match the dash to blend right in perfectly. Plug and play. Radio reception sucks but use a radio app on iPhone and other stuff. Never miss it. Also like the side touch control buttons can set the color to amber to match interior. Easy to assign steering wheel buttons so they still work.
Interior LED lights
- Nice and bright inside and updated look
Facelift side mirrors
- No more Dumbo ear sized mirrors. Again updated the look and puddle lights are LED
Brabus style blacked out front turn signals
- I hate the large turn signals and like these bc they are slim
Blacked out side markers front and rear
Blacked out side moulding trim
- Removed the middle insert and wrapped
LED puddle door lights
- Wired in new lights
LED license plate lights
- Direct swap and very bright I had to block some of it off.
30mm Wheels Spacers
- Gets wheels even with the fenders and gives more aggressive stance
20” black wheels
- I would prefer now to have 22” sap once lifted
Blacked out side steps
- Satin black vinyl used
Small upper SC pulley and tine
- Course I need more power
G63 blacked out front grill

Further upgrades coming
FOX shocks and 2” spring spacers
- Better look and hear the FOX shocks really help the harsh ride
Satin white wrap
- I like my cars in white/black mix. Bought black bc people always want black. Will keep the roof/bumpers/fender black
Black spare tire ring
G63 front bumper and removal of brush guard

A few pics and can post more if you want later

The following users liked this post:
8899 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-03-2021, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 192 Posts
Built 2008 G55 & one big 80 Series LandCruiser !
if you want to really wheel a G the 55's are a better option.... you an fit the 79' series landcruiser ARB winch bumper on them, which the 63's intercooler preclude.... put 63 springs ( the 55 are lower) on with a 50mm spacer and Fox or King shocks and you can run a 34' ish tire easily...

for more pep MBRP exhaust increases clearance and EC has a tune avail with some other power gains...even an E85 tune of you want 600hp... and then there's always the Weistec blower and DP's....

I had a JKUR built with everything MetalCloak had and while it was capable as heck it lacked soul and the feeling of solidity of the G.... I'm in the hunt for a Clean G55 for my next build to replace my 80 series LC unless I can find a unicorn Supercharger for it...

E
Old 09-03-2021, 06:01 PM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
Originally Posted by black06c230
I picked up my 2011 G55 in Dec. and am currently up $20k in value from what I paid for it. I have put about 8k miles on it and love it as it has its purpose. While not as comfy or agile to drive as our GLS63 it comfy in it’s own way. I got the 2011 year bc it’s the last of the m113k powered and I love that engine since I have a heavily modded E55 with the same. Course it makes 564rwhp and 666rwtq and is stupid fast.

- These are the single best upgrade so far. Light output is superb and gives modern appearance. Most people likely think the car is brand new
- Again updates the look
- Lost heated option as I couldn’t find a piano black with it. Not a major loss since not super cold here in Alabama
- Gloss black vinyled the sides to match the dash to blend right in perfectly. Plug and play. Radio reception sucks but use a radio app on iPhone and other stuff. Never miss it. Also like the side touch control buttons can set the color to amber to match interior. Easy to assign steering wheel buttons so they still work.
Interior LED lights
Facelift side mirrors
- No more Dumbo ear sized mirrors. Again updated the look and puddle lights are LED
LED puddle door lights
- Wired in new lights
LED license plate lights
30mm Wheels Spacers
20” black wheels
Blacked out side steps
- Satin black vinyl used

Further upgrades coming
Satin white wrap
- I like my cars in white/black mix. Bought black bc people always want black. Will keep the roof/bumpers/fender black
Black spare tire ring

How is the light for the taillights at night? Do you see the G illuminated like the new G? Is the brake light also LED what about the turn signal? Is it sequential or normal LED.

I am looking to get these for my g63 but I haven’t seen anyone post any pictures of them at night.

Do u mind posting some at night
Old 09-08-2021, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 213 Likes on 168 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Originally Posted by simandang
How is the light for the taillights at night? Do you see the G illuminated like the new G? Is the brake light also LED what about the turn signal? Is it sequential or normal LED.

I am looking to get these for my g63 but I haven’t seen anyone post any pictures of them at night.

Do u mind posting some at night

They function just like these. They are not the style that has a “G” in the lights as the new style is not that way.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:43 AM

G63/RR LWB/W222 S550
They function just like these. They are not the style that has a “G” in the lights as the new style is not that way.

https://youtu.be/pTxC2LOUJYw
thanks for the video I was behind a new G yesterday and saw what you mean

I did some more research and these lights are the “smoked edition” that is offered on the new G class.

I am placing my order today.

thanks again for the help and video
The following users liked this post:
black06c230 (09-09-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 12:17 AM

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 G550

- Again updates the look
Interior LED lights
Facelift side mirrors
LED puddle door lights
- Wired in new lights
LED license plate lights
30mm Wheels Spacers
20” black wheels
Blacked out side steps
- Satin black vinyl used

Further upgrades coming
Satin white wrap
Black spare tire ring

I have a 2011 G550 that I just bought with some audio annoyances I hope to address. Do you mind answering a few questions?

1.) What brand is this head unit?
2.) Is your car fiber optic? How did you work around that?
3.) Did you run a new amp/speakers?
4.) Any tips if I want to replicate your setup?
Old 11-21-2021, 10:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 G550
Bump for head unit link