G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2011 CarPlay android unit purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 01:08 AM

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 G550
2011 CarPlay android unit purchase

Anyone have experience with this unit? I just purchased it and have a couple questions:

Does it boot up quickly when the car starts?

Is the touch screen laggy or finicky?

Does it give the car a more modern feel?

Is the overall experience better than factory?

https://autotecpro.com/product/mercedes-benz-g-class-2008-2012-direct-fit-9%e2%80%b3-hd-ips-touch-screen-android-navigation-system-gps-bt-wifi-camera-carplay/

Thanks all!
Old 11-29-2021, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
Yes I have a similar unit and it works fine. I mainly use the CarPlay side with a wireless CarPlay adapter. The android side works well too when connected to a hotspot in the car. It will not pickup a radio station worth a damn which annoyed me at first but using IHeart radio app I can have any station I want.

It boots up quickly and have no real issues. Was easy to program steering wheel controls and gained a mute button by using the phone end cam button as a mute since I don’t just the Bluetooth phone calling function. I like my ear piece best.

Some pics below and I used gloss black vinyl on the side to blend into the dash perfectly. Guess I never took pics of it on CarPlay but I can.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:23 PM

2011 G550
Originally Posted by black06c230
Yes I have a similar unit and it works fine. I mainly use the CarPlay side with a wireless CarPlay adapter. The android side works well too when connected to a hotspot in the car. It will not pickup a radio station worth a damn which annoyed me at first but using IHeart radio app I can have any station I want.

It boots up quickly and have no real issues. Was easy to program steering wheel controls and gained a mute button by using the phone end cam button as a mute since I don’t just the Bluetooth phone calling function. I like my ear piece best.

Some pics below and I used gloss black vinyl on the side to blend into the dash perfectly. Guess I never took pics of it on CarPlay but I can.

thanks for the reply!

yes, a couple pics would be great on music or maps.

did your backup camera image improve? My factory 2011 backup camera is washed out and I’m not sure if it’s the display or the camera itself.

Where did you buy yours also? I paid $700 so if yours was cheaper and is the same thing I’d rather order from wherever you got it.
where did you buy yours also? I paid $700 so if yours was cheaper and is the same thing I’d rather order from wherever you got it.

photo below of my washed out camera image

Old 11-30-2021, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Backup cam still sucks and here are some pics of the apps in CarPlay. Will easily go from cam to app with it any extra steps. It does “stop” the music bc it won’t play sound while in reverse but the track does not stop like on pause in the back ground.

It takes about 27s to boot into CarPlay which is when the video below ends bc it connected and stopped the camera. I will all say if you keep all music on YouTube Music using the app on the radio limits some functions like shuffle or some song access for some reason. I will typically use my phone to get it going on what I want bc it’s easier. Also even though you IC cluster will say “audio off” you can still forward and go back a track by using the left side programmed buttons on steering wheel.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Also I purchased this unit for $300ish plus the box below for $100ish, so all in for $400ish. You will lose the ability to set the time on the IC since it’s done by the headunit. I have STAR and keep meaning to connect and tell the car it doesn’t have command so I can set via the IC and steering wheel.

Sound is good but in the Android side EQ turn on the loudness button. I have read you can add a better EQ via a modded .apk but haven’t really cared. The sound sucks in these things truly. I have unhooked the factory sub bc it’s small and sucks. I did use the new headunit to install a Alpine Type R 12 sub. It does well connected to a RF amp mounted under/inside the driver side rear bench seat. I then have the RF sub remote between by seat and center console to adjust sub as needed for some songs.

XTRONS 8 Inch Android 10.0 Car Stereo Radio Player Octa Core 4G RAM 64G ROM GPS Navigation Multi-Touch Screen Head Unit Supports Screen Mirroring WiFi OBD2 DVR TPMS for Mercedes Benz W203 W209
Amazon Amazon

And it was one of these box to connect it all. Don’t recall which bc I bought both and returned the one that didn’t work.
XTRONS Optical Fiber Head Unit Replacement Decoder for Mercedes-Benz CL/CLS/E/S/SL/SLK
Amazon Amazon

XTRONS Optical Fiber Head Unit Replacement Decoder Box for Mercedes-Benz E/CLS/SLK/SL/CLK Series
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by black06c230; 11-30-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Sub control knob

Old 11-30-2021, 03:53 PM

2011 G550
Thanks so much for all these pictures and video. This information is very helpful. Do you have to wait for the unit to boot up before the backup camera works? If so, I’m not sure how practical this unit will be. I get in and start backing out of spots immediately and would like my camera to function much sooner than 27 seconds.

i make a lot of short trips… that delay doesn’t wear on you much?

ill use Spotify for music almost exclusively and will use my phone as a controller to choose playlists and then skip with the steering wheel from there.

i suppose I’ll add a new backup camera to the android unit…. thanks for confirming it’s the camera and not the display, that saves me some time!
Old 11-30-2021, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by PeriodCorrect
Thanks so much for all these pictures and video. This information is very helpful. Do you have to wait for the unit to boot up before the backup camera works? If so, I’m not sure how practical this unit will be. I get in and start backing out of spots immediately and would like my camera to function much sooner than 27 seconds.

i make a lot of short trips… that delay doesn’t wear on you much?

ill use Spotify for music almost exclusively and will use my phone as a controller to choose playlists and then skip with the steering wheel from there.

i suppose I’ll add a new backup camera to the android unit…. thanks for confirming it’s the camera and not the display, that saves me some time!

Do not have to wait to boot will switch straight to the cam when put into reverse.

if you find a solid replacement cam let me know. Would love to have one
Old 11-30-2021, 09:41 PM

2011 G550
Do not have to wait to boot will switch straight to the cam when put into reverse.

I ordered a camera that I was told is much better than the factory one in our cars, so once I get the head unit and camera (On a 3 week delay) I’ll take photos for you and keep you abreast. I’m confident it’ll be a tremendous improvement. My current one is so washed out in the sun it’s nearly useless. It works ok at night, however.

I’m glad the reverse cam is avail straight away. You know how impatient people are when you’re leaving the car park, lol.

Does the 30 second delay not bother you? I’m a little apprehensive but I don’t want to rewire the whole car to use a pioneer or other type of HU. This also gives us a bigger screen as most double dins are 7”.

I’ll have to look into the sub you added.

As an aside, how hard was wrapping the interior trim? I wonder if the steering wheel can be wrapped and the seam put in the inside where it’s not visible.
Old 12-01-2021, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
I ordered a camera that I was told is much better than the factory one in our cars, so once I get the head unit and camera (On a 3 week delay) I’ll take photos for you and keep you abreast. I’m confident it’ll be a tremendous improvement. My current one is so washed out in the sun it’s nearly useless. It works ok at night, however.

I’m glad the reverse cam is avail straight away. You know how impatient people are when you’re leaving the car park, lol.

Does the 30 second delay not bother you? I’m a little apprehensive but I don’t want to rewire the whole car to use a pioneer or other type of HU. This also gives us a bigger screen as most double dins are 7”.

I’ll have to look into the sub you added.

As an aside, how hard was wrapping the interior trim? I wonder if the steering wheel can be wrapped and the seam put in the inside where it’s not visible.
The delay bothers me a little bit between backing up and then getting going it’s barely a concern. Sure instant would be nice but a small trade off is ok.

Wrapping the trim was easy and I had wrapped the interior on our GL too years prior. I even blacked out the side trim silver pieces. Took them off cleaned off all adhesive, wrapped and redid the adhesive. Plus the running boards. For the seat adjusters on the front I painted the buttons silver to look more updated.

Chrome trim flaking off

Painted the chrome trim after scrapping it off and then taped to cover and paint the seat buttons.

Installed.

All blacked out minus the rear tire cover and brush guard. Next up is 63 front end, all wrapped in satin white to match the other cars, will leave the bumpers/fenders/roof black, new black tire ring also coming. Oh lift kit and FOX shocks finally installed a year later.
Old 03-13-2022, 12:24 PM

2011 G550

Installing rear camera today, will let you know if it works and how it looks.

How has the head unit been? Any big complaints? I saw that it’s no longer available via Amazon.
Old 03-13-2022, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Installing rear camera today, will let you know if it works and how it looks.

How has the head unit been? Any big complaints? I saw that it’s no longer available via Amazon.
no issues with headunit just the airplay dongle going out at random until turn off car and it reboots. I wish I had it in a spot to easy unplug and plug back. If I will to replace it in the future I will do that and place in glove box to avoid issue.
Old 03-14-2022, 12:26 AM

2011 G550
no issues with headunit just the airplay dongle going out at random until turn off car and it reboots. I wish I had it in a spot to easy unplug and plug back. If I will to replace it in the future I will do that and place in glove box to avoid issue.
Nice to hear. Here is a photo of the new backup camera in comparison to the factory one as promised. Resolution is much better and image isn’t washed out like factory. In bright light the factory camera is almost useless.

Make sure to open the photo or else it’ll look low quality. I had the aftermarket camera mounted via license plate frame so I retained the factory option as is.

And a full shot as I had my wood trim wrapped:

Last edited by PeriodCorrect; 03-14-2022 at 12:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PeriodCorrect:
black06c230 (03-14-2022), Mk12 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-03-2024, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550
hello what android did you use ? did you do it your self I've a 2011 g550 bought a kit like that and won't work