G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

Anyone install one of those android screens in your G? I have a couple questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 G550
Arrow Anyone install one of those android screens in your G? I have a couple questions...

I installed one last weekend in my 2016 and it's definitely better than the stock screen, but either I did something wrong or I need to lower my expectations.

Questions:
1. I have to put the MB system into "Aux" mode in order to get sound out of Carplay. When connecting to Carplay through Zlink, it appears that the unit connects to my phone with bluetooth, then creates a wifi hotspot, and disconnects bluetooth. Carplay works fine, but I cannot then connect to the Android screen via bluetooth to use some of the Android features. If I connect it to the wifi hotspot on my phone in the Android settings, it disables wifi connection it has with Carplay and then Carplay no longer works. Has anyone managed to be able to play music on both Carplay and the Android Music player without unpairing and repairing to the device every time? Or do you basically just choose one or the other to use?

2. Has anyone installed a SIM card into your screen? Does that allow you to use some of the features (like Youtube) without connecting to a hotspot (which disconnects you from Carplay)?

3. When I turn on my vehicle, it takes about 10-15 seconds to boot up, and then another 20-30 seconds for Zlink to connect to my phone in order to Carplay to open. Does it take this long for you?

4. Any idea how to change the boot screen?

Last edited by transistor; 08-22-2023 at 01:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 06:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
G350
Hi

I’ve upgraded to a similar unit (ugode)
experiencing similar issues with connectivity, it’s a bit of a ball ache, I connect to my phone via the connection settings, which then loads the zlink screen and eventually brings on CarPlay…. If my wife’s in the car with me, it’s extremely difficult for me to get my phone to connect, regardless of disconnecting her phone…. It’s a pain

I also find the issue of no sound, and have to press a few buttons for it to work…. I haven’t quite got the knack of it yet

biggest issue I’m having is using the phone whilst connected, I sound like a stuttering robot, it doesn’t work….’how are you finding incoming and outgoing calls?
Old 09-07-2023, 08:12 AM
DPG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 G63
Did you purchase through DMP? If you did you can WhatsApp them and they help with everything pretty quickly. I’ve ironed out various things just messaging them. The boot up time does take a little while though. I haven’t really worried about using anything except CarPlay, which works fine for me.