G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

G55 Rust Prevention

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2024 | 02:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C63s AMG, 2020C300, 2011 G55 AMG
G55 Rust Prevention

Whats everyone using as undercarriage spray post washes, etc to try and prevent rust?

I came across this product but am worried it may have interaction with rubber components. Any suggestions?

Amazon Amazon

Old 03-29-2024 | 06:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
02 ML320
FluidFilm
Old 03-29-2024 | 10:30 PM

Received 457 Likes on 278 Posts
2005 G55K
I'm using Surface Shield, but lots of different options here.

Grab a cold one and enjoy this novel:

https://mbworld.org/forums/g-class-w...lass-rust.html
Old 03-30-2024 | 12:35 AM

Received 143 Likes on 108 Posts
2015 SL550, 2017 GLS 550, 2010 G550, 1995 E320 Cabriolet
Lucas Red n' Tacky is the best, IMO, because it is a heavy grease with great water displacement properties, lots of anti-corrosive additives, and is extremely difficult to remove. That said, it's hard to aerosolize and the product you can buy in a spray can doesn't really disperse all that well (precisely because it's such a thick, tacky product). If you had an industrial sprayer you could probably get enough pressure to aerosolize it but that's an entirely different conversation.

With that said, the best product I've found that actually has great coverage is B'laster Surface Shield. I applied it two years ago to the chassis on my G and there is still a thin but noticeable film on the most exposed parts, and a thicker coating on parts better shielded form road spray (for example, inside the crossmembers). It's extremely sticky and formulated with anti-corrosive chemicals. The only downside is the nozzle - I like using 36" spray tubes to get behind window gaskets, into doors, cavities. The nozzle is an odd size and standard with tubes don't really fit. Even the provided straw doesn't like staying in place. I need to hold the straw against the nozzle as I apply product but sometimes it comes loose and makes a big mess. That said, the product aerosolizes nicely making it great for tough to reach spots. Oh, and it is safe for wiring and electrical connections though I'd always exercise caution when applying anywhere there might be wiring.

I'd stay away from fluid film as it doesn't last long. Under no circumstances should you ever get a rubberized coating - any brach in the coating will allow water in which will pool elsewhere and cause awful rust. I've heard good things about cosmoline and CRC. CRC has a marine-specific formulation which is apparently excellent and long lasting. I couldn't find it due to supply chain issues back in 2022 but I may give it a shot this year.

Applications in body cavities should last for years. When I peel back the rubber stripping on my front windscreen the cavity is still loaded with oil and grease. The same goes for body cavities (for example, underneath the rocker panels). You can load them up with as much grease as you want and so long as they remain sealed, they should be protected for years or even decades. You'll need to perform periodic checks on exposed parts of your vehicle to determine when a reapplication is needed. Obviously, driving conditions will have an outsized impact on how long the application lasts.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.