G Class (W460, W461, W463) Produced 1980-2018: 290 GD, 290 GDT, 300 GD, 350 GD, 500 GE, G250, G300, G300 DT, G320, G500, G550, G55 AMG, G63 AMG

2015 G550 Differential Lock Malfunction Message + Squeaking front end, Related?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 S450 4Matic, 2015 G550
2015 G550 Differential Lock Malfunction Message + Squeaking front end, Related?

Hello everyone,

I've been driving my 2015 G550 daily for about a month now. When I first picked up the car, I noticed a little squeak and clanking from the front end when going over bumps or cruising down the highway if the road wasn't perfectly smooth. I had my mechanic check it out, and he said there was no looseness or play in any of the front end components. The dealer replaced the right front shock before I took delivery because it was leaking, but the left one is still original. The noise seems to be getting louder, but I assumed it might be the left shock going bad or some bushings causing the noise.

However, today after grocery shopping, I started the car in the parking lot, and the dash displayed a "differential lock malfunction" warning. I turned off the car and restarted it, and the warning didn't come back. I drove for about 30 minutes in stop-and-go traffic without any issues. When I got home, I tried engaging the center diff lock, and it worked fine. I didn't test the front and rear diff locks.

I should add that I don't believe it's the hood squeak that others have mentioned, as every time it squeaks, there's a very slight feel in the steering wheel. The steering fluid is full, and there's no leaking from any components. However, whenever the squeak or clank happens, I can feel a very slight "unsmooth" sensation in the steering for a split second.

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I can't seem to link the squeaking front end to the differential malfunction warning; they seem unrelated. My regular mechanic, who isn't a G wagon expert, said the front end is tight from his perspective.

Any input would be great. Thanks, everyone!

Mike

Last edited by msiumng; 06-16-2024 at 08:42 PM.