G Class (W463A) Produced 2019-Present: G550, G63 AMG

2020 G550 Start/Stop issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 02:34 PM

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts
2018 Porsche 911 GT3 2021 Mercedes G 63
I turn both off every time I get in my G 63. The LKA is dangerous IMO!
The following users liked this post:
sweet63 (03-16-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 759 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by gokro
do you have anything that turns off lane keeping assist?
I inquired with Midcity a couple months ago about an LKA disable dongle, but they had nothing available. I encouraged them to develop a combo ECO start/stop and LKA disable device, so maybe something will become available. I have disassembled the switch assembly module that contains the LKA disable/enable switch, and it is a LIN-bus device that communicates with one of the ECOs via software commands. Knowing this, it should be possible to reverse engineer the communications protocol and push the disable command into the ECO via the OBDII connector. IMO, an LKA disable dongle would become a Midcity best seller, and probably win automotive innovation of the year award.
The following users liked this post:
gokro (03-14-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G550, S550
I was able to disable LKA with a small piece of tape strategically placed over the LKA camera. There are no warning messages so far. Such a relief!
I'll post a picture of where to place it soon

Last edited by sandmed; 03-14-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by sandmed
I was able to disable LKA with a small piece of tape strategically placed over the LKA camera. There are no warning messages so far. Such a relief!
I'll post a picture of where to place it soon
Very clever! I would not expect any error codes or warning lights inasmuch as snow or mud could block the camera also as a normal occurrence. LKA is not mission critical - only mission annoying. When you start the truck do you get an annunciation that the system is deactivated like you do when you press the disable switch? Also, does blocking this camera prevent speed limit signs from displaying on the instrument panel? This fix would make disassembling the box behind the rear view mirror and blocking the camera lens there worthwhile. Keep posting on this.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Just came across this posting on the NHTSA's website regarding the G550 going into the limp mode inexplicably -- could be related to the OP(?).
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/M...Communications Expand the first item and click on the pdf document for more info.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:52 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
Originally Posted by streborx
Just came across this posting on the NHTSA's website regarding the G550 going into the limp mode inexplicably -- could be related to the OP(?).
https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2021/M...Communications Expand the first item and click on the pdf document for more info.
wow amazing find!
i am sure this is it! i have that same error code that they mentioned. my G550 threw the P061B code. but the dealer couldnt figure out what the issue is and could not replicate the problem.
so looks like theres still no fix to this issue?
Old 03-27-2021, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by montreal red
wow amazing find!
i am sure this is it! i have that same error code that they mentioned. my G550 threw the P061B code. but the dealer couldnt figure out what the issue is and could not replicate the problem.
so looks like theres still no fix to this issue?
Fortunately, restarting the vehicle seems to reset the PCU and allow normalcy. There could be a dealer issued TSB that prescribes a remedy. If you've experienced this event, take a copy of the pdf to your dealer and have him chase it down.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G550
Fortunately, restarting the vehicle seems to reset the PCU and allow normalcy. There could be a dealer issued TSB that prescribes a remedy. If you've experienced this event, take a copy of the pdf to your dealer and have him chase it down.
yup when it happened i was an hour away from home. i pulled over and restarted my engine and it drove home just fine. the dealer hasnt been able to replicate the issue but it looks like this is now a known problem. i'll have to bring it up to my service guy next time i am at the dealership.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2021 GLS 450
Originally Posted by BluetecKING
The first time it happened to me I was moving and it shut down when it should not have no matter what, then completely died. Each time after that it was shut off while stopped and wouldn't start back up.
I had the same happen to me. My car turned off before I was stopped and rolled backward toward the car behind me. It restarted ( now I’m seeing I was fortunate) and the check engine light came on. The dealership pulled up the notice on the check engine light and it had an evap error which means a leak in the emission system. They check it and say it’s air tight. Whenever my eco start/stop is not turned off, it occasionally shudders when stopping. They couldn’t recreate that either.

now my check engine light is on again. 2k miles and 4 wks old. I’m SO upset to have bought a Mercedes! I feel like a fool at this point.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Pjstaffor
I had the same happen to me. My car turned off before I was stopped and rolled backward toward the car behind me. It restarted ( now I’m seeing I was fortunate) and the check engine light came on. The dealership pulled up the notice on the check engine light and it had an evap error which means a leak in the emission system. They check it and say it’s air tight. Whenever my eco start/stop is not turned off, it occasionally shudders when stopping. They couldn’t recreate that either.

now my check engine light is on again. 2k miles and 4 wks old. I’m SO upset to have bought a Mercedes! I feel like a fool at this point.
Did the dealer also check the fuel system? There have been a couple of other posts on this forum regarding pressure leaks that might trigger the same OBDII error codes. The complexity of all these interactive systems as a consequence of software control is overwhelming, and bugs seem unavoidable. However, dealership indifference is inexcusable.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 g550
Had the same issue with car turning off with start/stop.. or it not restarting.

lemon buy back here in California . Took 3 months or so.

ordering a g63 now and wait is 12+ months.. ridiculous
Old 04-08-2021, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Jmedz
Had the same issue with car turning off with start/stop.. or it not restarting.

lemon buy back here in California . Took 3 months or so.

ordering a g63 now and wait is 12+ months.. ridiculous
Hope it doesn't get run through the car wash and put out on the front lot for sale.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2020 g550
Hope it doesn't get run through the car wash and put out on the front lot for sale.
what do you mean?
Old 04-08-2021, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
He means he hopes the dealer doesn’t try to sell it as is because it’ll be somebody else’s issue.

what will happen is it will go to auction as a manufacturer buy back on the title and some used car dealer will buy it for cheap and sell it to somebody willing to take a risk to drive a nice car for a “great price”. There’s a dealer in Florida where I used to live that specializes in luxury buy backs. Had some real great prices on nice cars but it’s not worth the headache.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Hodog16
He means he hopes the dealer doesn’t try to sell it as is because it’ll be somebody else’s issue.

what will happen is it will go to auction as a manufacturer buy back on the title and some used car dealer will buy it for cheap and sell it to somebody willing to take a risk to drive a nice car for a “great price”. There’s a dealer in Florida where I used to live that specializes in luxury buy backs. Had some real great prices on nice cars but it’s not worth the headache.
Any idea if Carfax catches these VINs?
Old 04-08-2021, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 571 Likes on 374 Posts
2023 G63
Good question but I hope so as it should be on the title that it's a buy back.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by Hodog16
Good question but I hope so as it should be on the title that it's a buy back.
It seems the answer is "it depends".
https://www.carfax.com/press/resources/branded-title
Old 04-11-2021, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well... nasty Service issues - Mercedes can handle 2-ways - by agreeing to give the Dealer added Trade-Assistance-Funds to help the Dealer recapture your Depreciation from MSRP and move you forward to another and/or different MB. This "assumes" the problem you were having can be serviced/solved at Dealer level. That Dealer can keep the rig if fixed or choose to send it back up to MB Dealer Auction to be resold to other M<B Dealer's - or if not purchased there - then sent to General Auction.

Buyback - where MB will literally Purchase's your MB back - technically "Lemon Law" that rig goes back to Mercedes and can't be recycled back to MB dealers .. if problem can't get fixed it is crushed - or if problem can be fixed it can go back out with "Lemon Law" title with any remaining balance of New Car Warranty for Export or Indie Dealers who specialize in this type of rig - after New Car Warranty Expires - under Lemon Law title no future additional/added MB Warranty and that rig can never be traded back or purchased by a MB dealer.

If there was a on-the-road "shutdown" and a customer brought that rig into our Service Dept - my guys will NEVER let that rig go back to the owner - until they have a diagnosis "why" it did that - and "fixed" that. Good Dealer's will do that - because it's Not Right to put a Owner-At-Risk of another Shut-Down. Unfortunately there are too many dealers that will say "there are No Codes_ so we can't do anything - which really is very jerk thing to do..
The following 4 users liked this post by fabbrisd1:
DaimlerGuy (04-11-2021), Hodog16 (04-11-2021), parrrky417 (04-11-2021), sweet63 (04-13-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
If there was a on-the-road "shutdown" and a customer brought that rig into our Service Dept - my guys will NEVER let that rig go back to the owner - until they have a diagnosis "why" it did that - and "fixed" that. Good Dealer's will do that - because it's Not Right to put a Owner-At-Risk of another Shut-Down. Unfortunately there are too many dealers that will say "there are No Codes_ so we can't do anything - which really is very jerk thing to do..
It's reassuring that there's at least one MB dealership with a conscience about customer safety. I'm yet trying to get a dealer to perform the differential lock recall service. If my third attempt later this month fails, I'll be filing a complaint against MBUSA with the NHTSA.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:35 PM
LLD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes G550
Same issue- formally diagnosed

I had the same exact issue and just mentioned to dealer, while I dropping off for a recall inspection.
The service department tested the issue for days and finally replicated the issue after a week, as confirmed by the diagnostic report. The formal “fault” identifier number is P1D0500”, “The ECO start/stop function has prevented an engine stop”. There is also mention of acceleration pedal sensor.

Report text attached.

Report as of 9/24/2021

Now… the issue is, they are holding my vehicle hostage until they are able to obtain the parts. The vehicle is a 2020 which I purchased brand new and currently has only 5000 miles. The issue occurred only twice, both of which times were immediately upon filling up the gas tank and occurred at a stoplight, within 50 yards at the of the gas station. Same exact scenarios and variables. Hopeful that the issue will be resolved soon. ..
Old 09-27-2021, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
Originally Posted by LLD
The issue occurred only twice, both of which times were immediately upon filling up the gas tank and occurred at a stoplight, within 50 yards at the of the gas station. Same exact scenarios and variables. Hopeful that the issue will be resolved soon. ..
Did you add any fuel beyond the pump's automatic shutoff? I recall reading other posts about the G's intolerance of even slightly too much fuel.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 GL450, 2012 Land Rover LR4, 2003 Mitsubishi Montero
No codes, no instrument panel lights, no problems -- I disconnected it about 2500 miles ago. I hacked the lane keeping assist too so it shuts off by itself, but this involved much more than disconnecting a wire.
Could you give more details here or in a private email as to how you disabled the lane keeping assist?